bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Road Scholar B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
briantr
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Scilympiad Option for Map Drawing Section

Post by briantr »

I'm curious to what test takers and writers have done with the topographic profile and PLSS map drawing section. I'm writing a test, but it doesn't seem as the platform allows for file uploads.

My original idea was to make a template for the profile and PLSS drawing available on our invitational website before hand, have the participants print (or download to a tablet) and draw, and then upload, but that doesn't seem feasible.

Any ideas?
go blue!

event supervisor:
road scholar (b)
gravity vehicle (c)

history:
food science, hovercraft, mission possible,
optics, road scholar, thermodynamics
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by drcubbin »

Does anyone know what this year's NYS AAA Road Scholar map will be?
jgrischow1
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scilympiad Option for Map Drawing Section

Post by jgrischow1 »

briantr wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 6:07 am I'm curious to what test takers and writers have done with the topographic profile and PLSS map drawing section. I'm writing a test, but it doesn't seem as the platform allows for file uploads.

My original idea was to make a template for the profile and PLSS drawing available on our invitational website before hand, have the participants print (or download to a tablet) and draw, and then upload, but that doesn't seem feasible.

Any ideas?
I have seen this exact process multiple times in tourneys the last few years. Make it clear in the event modifications you will have map drawing sections and link Google Docs with the 4 in square or whatever and the profile grid. Make it clear they need to print these out beforehand. Have a Google form or something so they can submit pictures they take of their maps and profiles either as files or links (be sure to emphasize link sharing must be on!) Link Google form in event modifications and in Scilympiad test itself.
These users thanked the author jgrischow1 for the post:
briantr (January 13th, 2022, 12:45 pm)
briantr

Post by briantr »

jgrischow1 wrote: January 8th, 2022, 9:13 pm I have seen this exact process multiple times in tourneys the last few years. Make it clear in the event modifications you will have map drawing sections and link Google Docs with the 4 in square or whatever and the profile grid. Make it clear they need to print these out beforehand. Have a Google form or something so they can submit pictures they take of their maps and profiles either as files or links (be sure to emphasize link sharing must be on!) Link Google form in event modifications and in Scilympiad test itself.
Hi @jgrischow1,

Thank you for your suggestion. I made an upload form where students can take a picture and upload. I do have a slight concern about accessibility for all test takers; are there websites or forms that allow for pictures to be taken by webcam?

Our tournament is unlikely to go virtual, but given the rapid spread of omicron, it's still a toss-up. Just hoping! :P

Cheers!
go blue!

event supervisor:
road scholar (b)
gravity vehicle (c)

history:
food science, hovercraft, mission possible,
optics, road scholar, thermodynamics
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

briantr wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:44 pm
jgrischow1 wrote: January 8th, 2022, 9:13 pm I have seen this exact process multiple times in tourneys the last few years. Make it clear in the event modifications you will have map drawing sections and link Google Docs with the 4 in square or whatever and the profile grid. Make it clear they need to print these out beforehand. Have a Google form or something so they can submit pictures they take of their maps and profiles either as files or links (be sure to emphasize link sharing must be on!) Link Google form in event modifications and in Scilympiad test itself.
Hi @jgrischow1,

Thank you for your suggestion. I made an upload form where students can take a picture and upload. I do have a slight concern about accessibility for all test takers; are there websites or forms that allow for pictures to be taken by webcam?

Our tournament is unlikely to go virtual, but given the rapid spread of omicron, it's still a toss-up. Just hoping! :P

Cheers!
If you have your Google Form or whatever students can take a picture with whatever device they want and either upload it as a file or as a link...seems to me it will work for everyone.
kaiser

Post by kaiser »

I'm a little confused, how would you know what maps you need for specific competitions? We recently got 1st in road scholar in regionals, however my partner forgot to bring the map we were supposed to bring. I had no idea we were supposed to do this. Does the coach tell you, or is there any other way to find out?
bruhnugget
State: GA

Post by bruhnugget »

Is there any map that includes UTM on the margins? Please submit any map where the UTM numbers are visible on the margins please. That would be a big help to us road scholar ppl.
Last edited by bruhnugget on March 31st, 2022, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussus amogus
aakoala
Division: C

Post by aakoala »

kaiser wrote: March 9th, 2022, 7:20 pm I'm a little confused, how would you know what maps you need for specific competitions? We recently got 1st in road scholar in regionals, however my partner forgot to bring the map we were supposed to bring. I had no idea we were supposed to do this. Does the coach tell you, or is there any other way to find out?
In a normal competition, typically the event supervisor provides the map. I have no idea if your situation is just a New York thing, but your coach should have let you know if you needed to bring your own map.
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
roadscholar4ever
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by roadscholar4ever »

I have a few questions. 1) is there any specific size that your binder for road scholar needs to be(in terms of inches)? 2) what would be the best way to go about drawing bathymetric profiles? 3) What would be the most efficient way to find time of day for satellite images?

Return to “2022 Study Events”