bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Disease Detectives B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Iamgoing2Mars2
Division: B
State: CO
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Iamgoing2Mars2 »

Hi, I did Disease last year and am now going to do the My SO on it. I was wondering if you're allowed to bring an info sheet into it?
MahathiR
Has thanked: 0

Post by MahathiR »

Quick question - Occurrence of cancer was identified between April 1991 and July 2002 for 50,000
troops who served in the first Gulf War (ended April 1991) and 50,000 troops who
served elsewhere during the same period. CDC says this is cohort, but i dont think this is an epidemiological study. INsight?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

MahathiR wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:47 pm Quick question - Occurrence of cancer was identified between April 1991 and July 2002 for 50,000
troops who served in the first Gulf War (ended April 1991) and 50,000 troops who
served elsewhere during the same period. CDC says this is cohort, but i dont think this is an epidemiological study. INsight?
While it's true that it's not a very controlled medical study, it's often difficult to study rare diseases in a controlled setting, so epidemiologists often have to draw on cases like this to identify potential causes of disease. In this case, epidemiologists looking at the data might be able to identify common traits that the troops in the Gulf War were exposed to that other troops were not, which would then help to control and improve public health. Remember that epidemiology is the study of in whom, when, and where diseases occur, and this certainly fits those critera!
Awesome314159
State: WA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C - The 5 Steps for Surveillance

Post by Awesome314159 »

Hello,
I feel like the 5 steps to surveillance on the scioly wiki page are outdated. The source link redirects to the Division of Scientific Education and Professional Development
(DSEPD) home page, meaning that the original link probably no longer exists. The 5 steps that I was following can be found here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... RT_1_0.pdf
These come straight from a pdf on the official Disease Detectives page. Is this a change worth making, or should I leave the wiki page as is?

Thanks
Amesome314159
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
stlcards422
State: MD

Post by stlcards422 »

How do we know the "use the best method" calculation? How do we know which one to use?
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

stlcards422 wrote: March 11th, 2022, 9:36 am How do we know the "use the best method" calculation? How do we know which one to use?
Usually, you will have to choose which calculation to use based on which type of study it is (relative risk for cohort and odds ratio for relative risk). But if the wording they use is "use the best method" then I would probably go with relative risk (?) unless it's clearly a case control study.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Disease Detectives B/C - The 5 Steps for Surveillance

Post by EwwPhysics »

Awesome314159 wrote: February 21st, 2022, 6:25 pm Hello,
I feel like the 5 steps to surveillance on the scioly wiki page are outdated. The source link redirects to the Division of Scientific Education and Professional Development
(DSEPD) home page, meaning that the original link probably no longer exists. The 5 steps that I was following can be found here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... RT_1_0.pdf
These come straight from a pdf on the official Disease Detectives page. Is this a change worth making, or should I leave the wiki page as is?

Thanks
The steps on the pdf that you linked are correct; feel free to update the wiki :)
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
Deveny
State: ND
Has thanked: 0

Post by Deveny »

This event had me very nervous but when it came down to testing it was really easy.

Return to “2022 Study Events”