fish65
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Codebusters B/C

Post by fish65 »

Hey guys! i wanted to know if anyone know any discord serves.I will see you guys around, happy coding and decoding!
awesomeaidan123

Post by awesomeaidan123 »

Anyone have any good Codebusters guides, trying to see if anyone else has some interesting shortcuts for common ciphers?
Thanks
BigZ
State: CA

General Discussion

Post by BigZ »

I just want to make a point: Scylimpiad integrated with Toebes would be the best thing ever for satellite tournaments.
DM me if your life is oofed
awesomeaidan123

I would have to agree as the few Codebusters tests I've taken on Scylimpiad have all been glitchy with the formatting.
Aghaku06
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aghaku06 »

Hi. I’m new to Codebusters. Can someone please tell me if Pollux and Morbit can end in x or not? Thanks!
RasmitDevkota
Division: C
State: GA

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Aghaku06 wrote: November 14th, 2021, 2:09 pm Hi. I’m new to Codebusters. Can someone please tell me if Pollux and Morbit can end in x or not? Thanks!
They should not end in an x (it's not theoretically impossible but you can assume that they don't)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Morbit might legitimately end with an x, because you have to pad the message so you have complete bigrams to encode. Pollux should not.
smayya337
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: General Discussion

Post by smayya337 »

BigZ wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:24 am I just want to make a point: Scylimpiad integrated with Toebes would be the best thing ever for satellite tournaments.
It has its benefits, but it's not perfect, as we saw at nationals this past May (where they did do such an integration with Toebes) - the Toebes server is synchronized for all teams, so rather than count down 50 minutes from when the first team member starts the test, it does 50 minutes from the start of the testing block, so if you start a couple minutes late due to e.g. technical issues, you only get 48 minutes. I want to say it was also kind of glitchy/laggy, but it's been almost six months since nats so I don't remember exactly. I think if Toebes can make such an async (i.e. not a single clock for everyone) implementation of their Codebusters server that can then be integrated with Scilympiad, that would be pretty cool for taking Code tests, though it might require a lot of server resources to run that many parallel processes... but I digress.
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
awesomeaidan123

knightmoves wrote: November 15th, 2021, 5:57 am Morbit might legitimately end with an x, because you have to pad the message so you have complete bigrams to encode. Pollux should not.
Yeah, Morbit can definitely end with an x, but for Pollux, it might be a helpful tip!
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

Hi everyone,

I wrote the Codebusters exam for this weekend's Troy Invitational. Congratulations to Sierra Vista Black for winning the event and to all the teams who competed.

I didn't get to supervise the event because I was busy running Storm the Castle, but I would be happy to help teams with any questions they may have about the test.

Specifically here, I will talk about the timed question. I designed it to be an easy one, doable by the best teams in 2-2.5 minutes. Several teams accomplished this. Additionally, around half of the teams received a bonus of some type from the timed question. We had no ties except for the teams that did not complete any problems.

Here is the score distribution:

Here is my full breakdown along with the test: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Hope I'll have time to drop by the Code room during Sierra Vista Invitational to see many of you competing!

Tim Elnitiarta
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post:
azboy1910 (January 1st, 2022, 7:24 pm)
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage

Return to “2022 Study Events”