bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
theskyistillred
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by theskyistillred »

Hi, I was wondering: Since A&P Tests have such heavily varied content, is there any way to tell what will be on States tests?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study
MorningCoffee
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

theskyistillred wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:16 am Hi, I was wondering: Since A&P Tests have such heavily varied content, is there any way to tell what will be on States tests?
Hey! So you are very correct that these tests have extremely varied content, so there is no way to tell exactly what is on the States tests, however, as you complete more and more tests at invys or for practice, your knowledge will eventually become more improved, therefore, it will be more likely that you will know a majority of the content on the tests. Sure, there will be some specific honed-in topics that you may not know, but that is likely to happen to most people. So, just study hard and increase your knowledge, and you will have a good idea! Hope I helped!
These users thanked the author MorningCoffee for the post (total 2):
sneepity (September 17th, 2021, 4:22 am) • theskyistillred (September 21st, 2021, 12:17 pm)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

theskyistillred wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:16 am Hi, I was wondering: Since A&P Tests have such heavily varied content, is there any way to tell what will be on States tests?
The simple answer is "read the rules - they provide the syllabus". The rules have a roughly page-long list of topics that are fair game. It is likely that, as MorningCoffee says, if you do a load of tests from invitationals, you'll get a reasonable idea of the level that the questions will probably be aimed.

But it's important to note that the only thing that constrains your State ES is the rules. The ES is not at all constrained by whatever people who run invitationals in your area think the level should be, or what the more important topics are. The only guarantees you have are the written rules. You do get some idea of the level from the "extension" topics that are listed as national tournament only: those topics should not appear on a State test, but you could expect everything up to that level to be in play.
Last edited by knightmoves on September 17th, 2021, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
theskyistillred (September 21st, 2021, 12:17 pm)
theskyistillred
State: NJ

Post by theskyistillred »

Thanks, guys!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study
remath
Been thanked: 0

Books to use for beginner A&P

Post by remath »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to science olympiad (and scioly) so forgive me if this is in the incorrect forum / an awkward question.

I plan on studying for A&P for this upcoming season. I have no prior experience and have started with the training handouts given on the soinc website. After I finish those, what should I do? Is there any beginner book that most science olympiad participants started out with as beginners? Like are there any books that are generally assumed to be great starting points for beginners to study? Any other resources I can use?

Thanks so much.
Last edited by gz839918 on October 6th, 2021, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Re: Books to use for beginner A&P

Post by gz839918 »

remath wrote: October 4th, 2021, 6:39 pm Hi everyone,

I'm new to science olympiad (and scioly) so forgive me if this is in the incorrect forum / an awkward question.

I plan on studying for A&P for this upcoming season. I have no prior experience and have started with the training handouts given on the soinc website. After I finish those, what should I do? Is there any beginner book that most science olympiad participants started out with as beginners? Like are there any books that are generally assumed to be great starting points for beginners to study? Any other resources I can use?

Thanks so much.
Hi remath, it's so awesome you could join Science Olympiad! Don't worry too much about the wrong forum part; I've merged the questions from your two posts and moved them here. We're glad to help so questions are always welcome :)

I'm no Anatomy person, but reading through past forums can be a helpful resource to get a sense of what other students have done. If you look at the first post for each event thread, you'll notice that all of them are made by a staff member, and they link to past threads for Anatomy for every year as far back as 2009. These past thread usually have multiple pages of tips and recommendations for studying, and the one from 2017 may help especially, because 2017 was the most recent time that the nervous system, sense organs, and endocrine system were test topics. Somebody else may also chime in here if they have more specific advice about Anatomy than I do.

Also, since you're new to SciOly, there's a treasure trove of advice for new students scattered around our General Competition forum, like this one: viewtopic.php?f=334&t=18007 Good luck, and hope you have lots of fun this year in Science Olympiad! :D
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post:
remath (October 10th, 2021, 5:44 pm)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
remath

Post by remath »

gz839918 wrote: October 6th, 2021, 6:40 am Hi remath, it's so awesome you could join Science Olympiad! Don't worry too much about the wrong forum part; I've merged the questions from your two posts and moved them here. We're glad to help so questions are always welcome :)

I'm no Anatomy person, but reading through past forums can be a helpful resource to get a sense of what other students have done. If you look at the first post for each event thread, you'll notice that all of them are made by a staff member, and they link to past threads for Anatomy for every year as far back as 2009. These past thread usually have multiple pages of tips and recommendations for studying, and the one from 2017 may help especially, because 2017 was the most recent time that the nervous system, sense organs, and endocrine system were test topics. Somebody else may also chime in here if they have more specific advice about Anatomy than I do.

Also, since you're new to SciOly, there's a treasure trove of advice for new students scattered around our General Competition forum, like this one: viewtopic.php?f=334&t=18007 Good luck, and hope you have lots of fun this year in Science Olympiad! :D
Thank you so much! I'll definitely check those out and see what I can find :)
Mr.Epithelium
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

remath wrote: October 4th, 2021, 6:39 pm Hi everyone,

Thanks so much.
Hey! Welcome to Scioly!

You made a good choice, anatomy is a very cool event ;) The handouts are definitely a good starting point when first preparing. Finding an anatomy textbook to read is helpful for this event. Saladin (Unity of Form and Function) and Martini (Fundamental's of Anatomy) are some good textbooks I've seen be used. They go over content thoroughly without being too difficult for someone who's just starting. Other options include OpenStax anatomy or OpenLearn (all free online). Another important resource includes practice tests! Like gz mentioned, 2017 was the last year these systems were in rotation so doing 2017 anatomy tests are a good opportunity to test what you've learned and research any new topics that appear on them. Wikipedia (believe it or not) is also a very good resource for studying a topic more in-depth. And if you're into videos, there are a plethora of medical-related videos that cover the topics for this year.

Good luck and enjoy the Science Olympiad experience!
These users thanked the author Mr.Epithelium for the post:
remath (October 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
mendel
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by mendel »

Are there any example tests for 2022? I have to take one next week. (apologies if this is a bad question, I am new to scioly)

Return to “2022 Study Events”