gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

2022 National Tournament: California Institute of Technology

Post by gz839918 »

Discussion for the 2022 National Tournament, to be held virtually with the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena, California on May 13-14, 2022.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2022 National Tournament: California Institute of Technology

Post by BennyTheJett »

Do we know what will happen with the event slate (builds) with the virtual tournament?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
smayya337
State: VA

Post by smayya337 »

BennyTheJett wrote: September 9th, 2021, 2:12 pm Do we know what will happen with the event slate (builds) with the virtual tournament?
I assume they'll just follow the lead of other satellite tournaments (especially those in SoCal) over the course of the season. I don't think they're going to cut/trial builds this time like they did in 2021.
These users thanked the author smayya337 for the post:
sciolyperson1 (September 12th, 2021, 5:34 pm)
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
theskyistillred
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by theskyistillred »

kinda a stoopid question, but

Is there any chance that Nats could be in-person this year?

We have never been to a real Nationals, so...
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

theskyistillred wrote: April 4th, 2022, 5:06 am kinda a stoopid question, but

Theskyisstillred,

Absolutely not, sorry to disappoint. A move that major takes months of notice in advance for teams that have to travel, Caltech to have to house everyone (not sure the campus is even big enough for that) etc. From an outside perspective (not knowing the minds of NSO :evil: ), I would wager that Nationals returns to in-person next season as most of the country begins to open up a little more.

As someone who's never gotten to compete at nationals, I'd say to be thankful for what you have! Pondering about things that you want but know won't happen will lead to nothing but spite.
Last edited by BennyTheJett on April 4th, 2022, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post:
theskyistillred (April 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm)

theskyistillred
State: NJ

Post by theskyistillred »

BennyTheJett wrote: April 4th, 2022, 8:05 am
theskyistillred wrote: April 4th, 2022, 5:06 am kinda a stoopid question, but

Theskyisstillred,

Absolutely not, sorry to disappoint. A move that major takes months of notice in advance for teams that have to travel, Caltech to have to house everyone (not sure the campus is even big enough for that) etc. From an outside perspective (not knowing the minds of NSO :evil: ), I would wager that Nationals returns to in-person next season as most of the country begins to open up a little more.

As someone who's never gotten to compete at nationals, I'd say to be thankful for what you have! Pondering about things that you want but know won't happen will lead to nothing but spite.
Ok, thank you for the great advice!
These users thanked the author theskyistillred for the post:
drcubbin (April 12th, 2022, 10:54 am)
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study
kman1234t
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

Environmental Chemistry (2nd)

This test was the worst Science Olympiad test I’ve ever taken. Whether it was because it was the last scioly event I’d ever compete in, or that none of the feedback I gave at SONI was considered when writing the test, or that I had just finished an incredibly painful season, I cried after taking it.

Actual feedback? Exactly the same as my SONI feedback. This test was similar to the 2021 nationals chem lab test (makes sense given it’s the same writer), and nearly identical in scope to the SONI test.

Test:
pointless molar mass calculations with excessive amounts of significant figures required (6??? This is environmental chemistry, NOT rocket science)
Custom periodic table that was just a photo taken from a book - incredibly hard to read (IT’S A BINDER EVENT LET US USE OUR OWN PERIODIC TABLE SO WE DON’T HAVE TO SCROLL UP FOR EVERY QUESTION!)
45 straight questions of the same repeated pointless linear regressions (if you have the correct calculator, this becomes incredibly simple)
Dumb premise for the storyline of the test + dumb T/F question choices

Not all the blame on the test can go to the writer, much of it is due to the rules being poorly written.
Rules:
Writing the rules to revolve around an entirely in person competition experience when it was a given that many competitions would be online - WHY?
Indiana Wastewater Operator’s Manual - WHY?
Two different documents about the CWA - WHY?
No real topic focus so test writers don’t have any idea what to write about - WHY?

I sincerely hope the rules for this event are revised before the draft rules come out this summer.

0/10, the writer had a chance to improve after SONI, but didn’t.

Green Generation (15th)

Nothing much to say about this test. It wasn’t horrible, it was slightly better than Water Quality at 2021 Nationals, and it had a few nice questions. For the most part though it was simple and easy, and I’d imagine scores are incredibly close at the top.

5/10, better than 2021 Water Quality!

Chemistry Lab (4th)

A very well written test, I couldn’t really ask for more. It was written to a really solid length, it covered the topics on the rules, and had a solid mix of questions from all skill ranges.
Multipart questions were a bit too long so you had to scroll up a bit.
7/10, solid test, infinitely better than 2021 Chemistry Lab.

Dynamic Planet (3rd)

Good test, good mix of test topics, a solid length, and enough more challenging questions that spark my interest in learning more. I didn’t really have the chance to study DP much this season, but I hope to learn a lot more and write in college.
Seeing the names Ryan Anselm, Brian Amaro, Chloe Cheng, and Vivek Vajipey would conjure images of a crazy difficult test, but this was pretty down to earth (pun intended), for better or for worse.

8/10, better than 2021 DP, but it could have used some more math.

Overall (2nd):
While last year was the year of hope, this year was the year of disappointments. One redeeming factor was the well organized National Tournament, and the (mostly) well written tests.

While I’ll never have the chance to compete in SciOly again, I am looking forward to helping out at invitationals, helping out other teams, and continuing to foster a love for science in the same way others have done for me.
Congrats to Mason for the back to back wins!
These users thanked the author kman1234t for the post:
theskyistillred (May 25th, 2022, 5:29 am)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Congrats to all competing teams! I was super pumped to see teams continue to persevere through the pandemic and online tournaments. I am equally pumped to see Nationals (hopefully) return to an in-person competition next year! Big shout-out to Marquette (as a Wisconsin SO homer) for a nice run this year!
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post:
drcubbin (May 25th, 2022, 12:48 pm)

Banana2020
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Banana2020 »

Meteorology(9th)

I mean overall its was an ok test, I felt like writer kinda went off hinges but it was an ok test overall. 75 short answer questions were hard to finish, I feel like we prob could've placed if partner didn't get stuck on a problem. Idk tho

Electric Wright Stuff(5th)

I mean... nothing much to say, run well, went quickly

Exdesi(3rd)

I didn't really expect to be t6 much less t3 so that was a shock, we worked down to the wire, topic was decently easy which makes me think scores were very close

Sounds of Music(5th)

Honestly, my partner and I were fairly confident about this test, it was written very well, perhaps a little too much completely random instrument info?

Dynamic Planet(25th)

Test was intended to be really good, with good analysis etc. However 44 questions and being sorta just eh was off-putting

Storm the Castle(14th)

Linear bearings broke, couldn't do much, got to meet jc tho

Overall Team(11th)

Well this year was a ride I hope I never have to experience again, the hectic online tournaments while fun, were stressful. I love that PA had in person states and that nationals was run so well this year. Hopefully we can break into the t10 next yr if we make it :D
“There are more things to alarm us than to harm us, and we suffer more often in apprehension than reality.” – Seneca
Nats 2022:
3rd EXPD!!
5th Electric Wright Stuff
5th Sounds of Music
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

2022 Division C Results:

1. Mason (214)
2. Mtn View (217)
3. Troy (222)
4. Marquette (230)
5. Solon (259)
6. Adlai E Stevenson (261)
7. William G Enloe (287)
8. New Trier (317)
9. Carmel (326)
10. Seven Lakes (328)
Last edited by mnoga on May 19th, 2022, 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “2022 Nationals”