Storm the Castle B

Kordo
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Kordo »

This was already asked by jgrischow1, I am not sure about 6f saying "Target and counterweight must be announced only after impound is over and must be the same for all teams." Can anybody explain what this is referring to?
jgrischow1
Division: B

Post by jgrischow1 »

Kordo wrote: February 13th, 2022, 12:12 pm This was already asked by jgrischow1, I am not sure about 6f saying "Target and counterweight must be announced only after impound is over and must be the same for all teams." Can anybody explain what this is referring to?
I think this was mistakenly copied from Division C's Trajectory rules, where the target is variable and is chosen by the supervisor. I could be wrong, though.
jgrischow1

Post by jgrischow1 »

Sorry for the double post, but a new FAQ just dropped that apparently puts this to rest:

"(Section: 6 / Paragraph: d. / Line: 3)
02/14/2022
IS WEIGHT TO HAVE AN OPEN HOOK OR EYE HOOK?
It should have an eye hook."
sb77
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by sb77 »

We have had some inconsistent interpretations of what the calculations in the design log should cover. One ES accepted various demonstrated calculations that were used in the building and refining of the trebuchet. Another said they were looking specifically for velocity related calculations. And a third said only calculations that apply to adjustments that can me made at the event would be counted (not say calculations on mass/distance figured out by varying counterweights/projectiles in testing that don't apply the day of an event with a set counterweight/projectile). Is there any clarification somewhere of exactly what calculations are considered necessary for completion of the design log? Also, with satellite events, am I reading the event guidelines correctly that the distance is set by the ES or are students still naming their distance? Thanks!
Jdh3

Post by Jdh3 »

jgrischow1 wrote: February 15th, 2022, 5:47 am Sorry for the double post, but a new FAQ just dropped that apparently puts this to rest:

"(Section: 6 / Paragraph: d. / Line: 3)
02/14/2022
IS WEIGHT TO HAVE AN OPEN HOOK OR EYE HOOK?
It should have an eye hook."
Since the change from open hook to eye hook is a direct change from the written rules, shouldn’t this have been issued as an official Clarification rather than a FAQ?
Banana2020
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Banana2020 »

To Kordo:
I would agree with jgrischow, you always choose the target distance regardless of competition level in storm. Prob just copied from trajec. CW does change though.
“There are more things to alarm us than to harm us, and we suffer more often in apprehension than reality.” – Seneca
Nats 2022:
3rd EXPD!!
5th Electric Wright Stuff
5th Sounds of Music
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Rule 5d says that the device must return to launch dimensions after firing. Does this really mean that after firing the device can be no more than 65 cm tall? That imposes a real limitation on arm length. I seem to recall height not being an issue in the past.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

Flavorflav wrote: March 8th, 2022, 7:55 am Rule 5d says that the device must return to launch dimensions after firing. Does this really mean that after firing the device can be no more than 65 cm tall? That imposes a real limitation on arm length. I seem to recall height not being an issue in the past.
Rule 5d says that the device must return to the launch area, not launch dimensions. This means it cannot be outside of the 1.0m x 1.0m square after launch, not that it cannot extend past the 65 cm cube for launch configuration. So yes, it is allowed to be more than 65 cm tall after launch as long as it does not extend past the 1.0m x 1.0m square.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
jgrischow1

Post by jgrischow1 »

My kids are working on a rolling arm trebuchet, and they are running up against a seemingly inherent tradeoff between arm ratio and drop distance. If they want to increase the arm ratio to 4:1 or 5:1, the distance on the arm from the counterweight to the fulcrum of the arm gets pretty small, and therefore limits the distance the counterweight can drop. The only way around this they can figure is if the entire arm were to drop, but it would seem that would violate the rule that only the counterweight must contribute substantial energy to the launch. They think the fulcrum of the arm has to stay at the same height throughout the launch to be up to spec.

Is there a way around this issue that we are not seeing?
Pebble
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

Does a walking trebuchet have too much starting potential energy besides the counterweight or does anyone think it could be actually feasible in practice?
ok

Return to “Storm the Castle B/Trajectory C”