Bridge B/C

jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bridge B/C

Post by jgrischow1 »

sluelway1973 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:10 pm So we want to clarify the pass through block. Must the pass through block pass through unobstructed on a level plane or can the block pass through horizontally but on different planes?
That has not been clarified. Our kids build theirs so there is more than 7 vertical cm between the bottom lateral bracing and the top. But it's impossible to "steady your hand" such that you move the block perfectly level through the bridge, and of course they are going to want to avoid the pieces, so it appears as if they are doing a slight "up and under" move. If the powers that be wanted to ensure a level plane, they should have made the block 4 cm x 7 cm x 35 cm!
ananyashah
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by ananyashah »

What is the highest score that a team can get? Me and my partner can consistently get over 15,000 grams and are wondering if the scoring stops after the bridge holds 15,000 grams.
Thank you!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

ananyashah wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:37 am What is the highest score that a team can get? Me and my partner can consistently get over 15,000 grams and are wondering if the scoring stops after the bridge holds 15,000 grams.
Thank you!
Yes, the maximum Load Supported (rule 5.h.) using the scoring formula (rule 7.a-b.) is 15,000 g. For a Load Supported of 15,000 g, your team will receive a Bonus (rule 7.c.) of 5,000 g.

This does not mean you need to stop loading the moment your Loading Assembly and Sand are 15,000 g as you couldn't know this while loading. It means that anything beyond the mass of 15,000 g will not further benefit your score.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (May 21st, 2022, 9:52 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
random-person

Post by random-person »

Hey, what scores are you all getting at Regionals? I got gold with a score of 1300ish. (that's probably low compared to some ppl here. in my defense I was put into this event 2 weeks before regionals.) (Div B)
events
2019-2020 Mousetrap Vehicle
2020-2021 Food Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Codebusters
2021-2022 Sounds of Music, Codebusters, Anatomy & Physiology, Mousetrap Vehicle, Bridge, Rocks and Minerals
kjlokesh

Post by kjlokesh »

We are getting consistently 2600+ and I have noticed some teams have reached 3300 in Div B.
random-person

Post by random-person »

Wow-That's crazy. I have a LOT of building to do, lol
events
2019-2020 Mousetrap Vehicle
2020-2021 Food Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Codebusters
2021-2022 Sounds of Music, Codebusters, Anatomy & Physiology, Mousetrap Vehicle, Bridge, Rocks and Minerals
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

kjlokesh wrote: March 4th, 2022, 7:14 am We are getting consistently 2600+ and I have noticed some teams have reached 3300 in Div B.
That's a pretty impressive score for C division.

Our last C division bridge scored 2280.5 at a weight of 8.77g. We believe we can optimize our design a bit further to at least something in the 8-8.5 range. That optimization would include reducing the height of the bridge slightly, and therefore the length of the four main compression beams. And, because the main compression beams are shorter we can weaken then slightly by carefully cutting away some material.
geedee
Coach
Coach
State: CA

Post by geedee »

2280 for a DivC is pretty good, although the winners in NorCal regionals were over 3000, and the middle school winners were over 3600.
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

This forum is pretty dead so I thought I would enliven it with some hot silica talk.

So my kid had a bridge that he pre-tested and it held the whole weight. He put it in silica night before State tourney and it dropped a further .18 grams. Tested in on camera for the remote tourney and it broke holding 14,968 grams...32 from the bonus!!! :(

So my question is did we do the right thing. Our options were:

1. No silica and just test it on camera knowing we pre-tested it.
2. Silica and pre-test it again right before filming knowing it will regain some weight and every additional test means closer to breaking
3. Silica and test it on camera...what we did

Obviously it's impossible to know if it broke because drying it made it more brittle or it only had one test in it or whatever...but is there an optimal strategy?
Tall
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tall »

jgrischow1 wrote: April 11th, 2022, 5:49 am This forum is pretty dead so I thought I would enliven it with some hot silica talk.

So my kid had a bridge that he pre-tested and it held the whole weight. He put it in silica night before State tourney and it dropped a further .18 grams. Tested in on camera for the remote tourney and it broke holding 14,968 grams...32 from the bonus!!! :(

So my question is did we do the right thing. Our options were:

1. No silica and just test it on camera knowing we pre-tested it.
2. Silica and pre-test it again right before filming knowing it will regain some weight and every additional test means closer to breaking
3. Silica and test it on camera...what we did

Obviously, it's impossible to know if it broke because drying it made it more brittle or it only had one test in it or whatever...but is there an optimal strategy?
This is from my experience. The same thing happened to me as the previously held full weight bridge broke at 14.2 kg when it was inside the Silica box.
I guess we need some moisture at least. Less moisture makes it brittle. Also, pre-testing to full weight weakens the structure.

Return to “Bridge B/C”