Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Washington 2022

Post by bernard »

Washington Science Olympiad 2022!

General Information:
Visit the state website at washingtonscienceolympiad.com!
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/washingtonscienceolympiad!
Register your team with the state organization here by Jan. 15, 2022!
See information for regional and state tournaments at scilympiad.com/wa!

Invitational Tournaments:
Raisbeck Aviation High School (Division C) – December 4, 2021
Camas High School (Division B/C, Satellite SO) – January 15, 2022
Redmond High School (Division B, mini SO) – February 5, 2022
Tesla STEM High School (Division B, mini SO) – February 12, 2022

Regional Tournaments:
Virtual State-wide Regional Tournament (Division B/C) – Saturday, March 5, 2022

State Tournament:
Virtual State Tournament (Division B/C) – April 9, 2022
Last edited by bernard on December 11th, 2021, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added tournaments.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (September 7th, 2021, 7:20 am) • Fyren (May 21st, 2022, 9:51 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
HannahBHS1
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Washington 2022

Post by HannahBHS1 »

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any info on the Washington Science Olympiad events?

The Invitationals on the website say that they take place in 5 days but no info on how to register has been posted. I was also wondering about registration, as there are two separate Washington state websites, one of which says a $100 fee is required for a first-year team, and the other of which says registration is free for first-year teams.

Additionally, it's unclear on the website what events are occurring at the regional events, or where the regional events are. For example, the national website mentions nothing about a Code Analysis event, but one of the state websites notes that Ping-Pong Parachute has been replaced with Code Analysis but only on a State level.

It's also unclear where the regional events will actually take place, whether they're online or not, and whether engineering events are actually happening, but they supposedly take place in less than three months.

If anyone can help with any of that it would be amazing and incredibly helpful!!

Thank you again!!!!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Thanks for your patience, Hannah. I will try my best to answer you questions.
HannahBHS1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 9:36 pm The Invitationals on the website say that they take place in 5 days but no info on how to register has been posted. I was also wondering about registration, as there are two separate Washington state websites, one of which says a $100 fee is required for a first-year team, and the other of which says registration is free for first-year teams.
The invitational tournaments listed here have the tournament host email addresses linked on the tournament name. You can right click on the tournament name and click "Copy Email Address," then have your coach email the address to inquire about registering The email for the remaining Division C invitational hosted by Camas High School is [email protected]. There are also invitational tournaments beyond Washington state, many of which are virtual, that your team can attend—full list on the national website. Note that to compete at invitational tournaments, each of your 15-person teams will need to be registered with our state organization as well as the invitational tournament. The fee for your state organization registration will cover your regional and state (if your team qualifies) tournament attendance, and most invitational tournaments will have an additional registration fee to cover their costs.

I'm not sure where the $100 figure is from, but if your team intends to use a first-year team registration waiver, I suggest having your coach email the state director (Ms. Sue Murphy) at [email protected] to inquire about this as they will need to email to request the waiver.
HannahBHS1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 9:36 pm Additionally, it's unclear on the website what events are occurring at the regional events, or where the regional events are. For example, the national website mentions nothing about a Code Analysis event, but one of the state websites notes that Ping-Pong Parachute has been replaced with Code Analysis but only on a State level.
The current event list and schedule posted to the website are only tentative; we have recently finalized the event list which will be posted to the state website and shared with coaches shortly. When posted to the state website, the schedule and replacement events listed will apply to our regional and state tournaments. Event lists and modifications posted to the national website or other tournaments do not apply to Washington state tournaments.
HannahBHS1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 9:36 pm It's also unclear where the regional events will actually take place, whether they're online or not, and whether engineering events are actually happening, but they supposedly take place in less than three months.
The regional and state tournaments will be virtual, an announcement that was made to recent and currently registered teams on November 2. If your team is a first-year team, it may have not received this announcement so I am including part of it here: "We will be running virtual tournaments similar to 2021. This is a hybrid of the national models and is NOT Satellite nor Mini-SO. Any/all teams can compete from wherever they can. Every effort will be made to even the playing field for students who can compete at their schools vs home-based competition."
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (May 21st, 2022, 9:51 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Tournament dates and final schedule are available on the state website (https://washingtonscienceolympiad.com/) and Scilympiad page (https://scilympiad.com/wa). Coaches were emailed over the weekend; ask your coach for the full announcement.
Fyren (May 21st, 2022, 9:50 am)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Results for this year's state tournament are now finalized and posted at https://scilympiad.com/wa.
Washington (Division B):
1. Timberline Middle School - Alpha (53) - Qualifies for 2022 National Tournament
2. Redmond Middle School - Mars (89) - Qualifies for 2022 National Tournament
3. Timberline Middle School - Beta (132)

Washington (Division C):
1. Tesla STEM High School - Green (82) - Qualifies for 2022 National Tournament
2. Bothell High School - Blue (88)
3. Camas High School - Black (95)
Congratulations to all teams for a great year of science, and a special congratulations to Timberline Middle School, Redmond Middle School, and Tesla STEM High School on their qualifications for the 2022 Science Olympiad National Tournament hosted by Caltech.

If you are a graduating high school senior or a recent alumnus/alumna, we'd love for you to remain connected with Science Olympiad, whether in Washington or another state. Please fill out our alumni survey to stay connected with us and to learn about opportunities for alumni.
Last edited by bernard on April 23rd, 2022, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redmond Middle School now also qualifies.
Fyren (May 21st, 2022, 9:50 am)

Return to “2022 Regionals & States”