mnery06
Division: C
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginning Steps

Post by mnery06 »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this event and I'm unsure where to start my build. I understand concepts on the test portion well, but I'm not sure what a good starting place to begin the build is. Is there any resources besides the standard rules in the packet that I should look at? Any ideal materials or concepts that I should know to begin my event? Thank you!
RasmitDevkota
State: GA

Re: Beginning Steps

Post by RasmitDevkota »

mnery06 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:01 pm Hi everyone! I'm new to this event and I'm unsure where to start my build. I understand concepts on the test portion well, but I'm not sure what a good starting place to begin the build is. Is there any resources besides the standard rules in the packet that I should look at? Any ideal materials or concepts that I should know to begin my event? Thank you!
I wouldn't know too much that isn't obvious about materials or actual construction tips but I can say that two of the big factors to consider are conductivity and impedance. The reason as to why impedance, which takes reactance into account in addition to resistance, matters should be made a bit more clear once you understand how antennas work (there's a bit of this on the Scioly.org Wiki). This type of information is relatively easy to Google for pretty much any material that you consider, or you could test things out and see what works best for you.

For concepts, I would start off by researching the different antenna types, how they work, how they are constructed, their properties (mainly gain and directivity patterns), et cetera. I would try something like Wikipedia if you want to explore a variety of antenna types.

As an example, if you were to first consider a Yagi-Uda antenna, you would initially find that it is indeed a brilliant design with very high gain and strong directivity, one which is actually used quite commonly in the real world. However, if you do a bit more research, you would learn that it has very tight restrictions on lengths and distances of the antenna elements, which makes it very weak even if you found a way to fit it inside the size restriction in the rules.
Last edited by RasmitDevkota on October 17th, 2021, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author RasmitDevkota for the post:
sriver (October 6th, 2021, 4:45 pm)
Reubenj16
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beginning Steps

Post by Reubenj16 »

I have been doing some research about how to build the antenna but I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. I've seen a lot of advantages of using a directional antenna like the Yagi but I don't know any other alternatives that would work in such a small area. Are there other designs or types of antennas that would work for this event?

Return to “WiFi Lab C”