Conflict between official rules and event logistics manual

AWCHEN01
Division: C
State: KY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Conflict between official rules and event logistics manual

Post by AWCHEN01 »

The official rules state that we are displaying the salinity in ppm ("The Device must have a digital display that clearly shows voltage, and the salt concentration in ppm to the nearest unit value").
But the 2022 Event Logistics Manual tells the event supervisor to "Record the actual conductivity as indicated by your conductivity meter, the conductivity as indicated by a digital display on or attached to their device, and the color of the LED light at each station."

The Logistics Manual implies that the device should be measuring/displaying conductivity, not salinity. But the rules state that the device is displaying solely the voltage and salinity. So... what is the device supposed to measure?

(My guess would be that the official rules take precedence?)
These users thanked the author AWCHEN01 for the post:
boho (October 14th, 2021, 8:58 pm)
AWCHEN01
Division: C
State: KY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Conflict between official rules and event logistics manual

Post by AWCHEN01 »

Update: I asked the SOINC people through the FAQs submission and they simply said to follow the official rules. So, salinity it is.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

AWCHEN01 wrote: October 9th, 2021, 7:07 am Update: I asked the SOINC people through the FAQs submission and they simply said to follow the official rules. So, salinity it is.
The only thing that can supersede the written rules is an official rule clarification / modification from national, or from your state organization if applicable. Other writings, including those produced by national, are not authoritative.
ktiwari
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Post by ktiwari »

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of conductivity/TDS/Salinity probe is good for scoring this event? I'm supervising it for an invitational.

Return to “Detector Building C”