How to make a launcher?

njain110706
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

How to make a launcher?

Post by njain110706 »

NERDS Inc launchpads are kind of expensive, and our middle school team most likely won't be able to afford it (nor would administration want to pay for it). Does anyone have any good, cheaper alternatives to NERDS Inc launchpads, or any method to make our own launcher for a much cheaper price? Thanks for the help!
Last edited by njain110706 on October 13th, 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mason High School '25
Astronomy, Ping Pong Parachute, Remote Sensing, Wifi Lab
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to make a launcher?

Post by andrewwski »

I made one of these last year (err, two years ago I suppose) and it worked well.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/file ... uncher.pdf

Was able to source all the parts from Lowes except the rubber stopper which I got from a local home brewing store, but you could probably get one from your school chemistry lab. Make sure the fulcrum screws for the clamps are symmetrical about the centerline of the bottle, otherwise one clamp will open quicker than the other and the rocket will end up flying sideways. I think it cost about $55 in parts - I used black iron fittings instead of brass for everything but the barbed connector. Plus a pressure gauge and Schrader valve on the end of the hose.

There are a lot of plans out there that use PVC and zip ties. Haven't tried those myself but they would appear to be significantly cheaper.
These users thanked the author andrewwski for the post:
njain110706 (October 18th, 2021, 7:08 pm)

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”