Initiate the Next Action

davidemartin
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Initiate the Next Action

Post by davidemartin »

I'm not sure what "initiate the next action" means. Do the kids have to build an intermediate action between each scored action? For example, can the marble hit by the dominoes (3.c.ii) fall into a cup on a lever and cause the 10 marbles to rise (3.c.vi) or does the marble hit by the dominoes have to hit something else that falls into the cup?
knightmoves

Re: Initiate the Next Action

Post by knightmoves »

Rule 3a iv says that the object may initiate the next action, but must not go beyond initiating it.

My interpretation of 3a iv is that the marble hit by the dominoes in 3c ii cannot participate in the cup-raising action.

So the dominoes hit a marble, and that marble has to knock something else (maybe another marble) into a cup to cause the 10 marbles to rise.
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Initiate the Next Action

Post by torqueburner »

Yes, Knightmoves is right on the money here. I've supervised Mission many times, and it is well established that an object that is part of one scored action may not also be part of another scored action.

So since the dominoes action says "Use a marble to knock over a series of 3 dominoes so the last domino moves another marble to initiate the next action."

and the marbles in a cup action says "Use a 1st class lever to raise a cup containing at least 10 marbles 10 cm before the cup initiates the next action.", the marble hit by the last domino may not participate in lifting the lever, but may only connect the two actions.

D.M. Drummer
Kutztown, PA

Return to “Mission Possible B”