New Events!

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
i-am-horus
Division: B
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

New Events!

Post by i-am-horus »

I heard that there are new events. They were: Wheeled Vehicle, Can't Judge a Powder, Wright Stuff, Forestry, Roller coaster, Fast Facts.
I am a new recruit for the Seven Lakes JH team. Does anybody have any info about these events? Were some rotated out, or are these purely new events?
Thanks!
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NM
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: New Events!

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Hello! This is a little late, but...

The wiki contains a decent amount of info on these events—I believe all of these have been run before, so you should be able to find their pages on the Comprehensive Event Listing (alphabetical) page.
These users thanked the author RiverWalker88 for the post (total 2):
drcubbin (May 25th, 2022, 12:49 pm) • i-am-horus (May 25th, 2022, 6:04 pm)
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
i-am-horus

Post by i-am-horus »

RiverWalker88 wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:59 am Hello! This is a little late, but...

The wiki contains a decent amount of info on these events—I believe all of these have been run before, so you should be able to find their pages on the Comprehensive Event Listing (alphabetical) page.
Thanks man! Appreciate it!
:D :D
Also by recruit, I mean that I got pre-assessed and I fought very hard to make it.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Note that the details of these events will change a bit, but the general concept will be the same.

So for roller coaster, you're going to have to build a device that a marble-like object spends a variable length of time running down. You don't know the size limits, but it will be somewhere between 50cm cubed and 1m cubed. It will need to be adjustable to hit a target time probably up to a minute or so. There will probably be bonus points for jumping gaps, and you probably gain points for the device being smaller than the maximum. There may or may not be rules about prohibiting enclosed tubes or funnels etc.
Perhaps there will be bonus points for a loop-de-loop or something.

Wright Stuff is an elastic rubber-powered plane. The details of the plane (mass, wingspan, etc.) will vary each year, but the general idea (build a plane to minimum weight, carefully trim to maximize flight time in (usually) school gym doesn't. Any of the past years' Wright Stuff forums on this site will offer lots of sensible advice from people who know what they're talking about.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
i-am-horus (May 26th, 2022, 3:15 pm)
i-am-horus

Post by i-am-horus »

Ooh...
Thanks for the info, knightmoves! I really appreciate your help on what I should expect next year.
Thanks!

Return to “General Competition”