Codebusters B/C

Sorrow2
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Codebusters B/C

Post by Sorrow2 »

Is atbash basically the alphabet but reversed (ex. a=z b=y c=x d=w etc)?
I wake up. its only me. I look at my reflection, its only me. I've only woke up to me and only me. no one with me.
its fine. perfectly fine.
Sorrow2

Post by Sorrow2 »

im grounded till i get grades up but can someone please send a good atbash cipher practice link? (crypto baron is blocked at my school for some reason)
I wake up. its only me. I look at my reflection, its only me. I've only woke up to me and only me. no one with me.
Sorrow2

Post by Sorrow2 »

Pebble wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:32 am
Sorrow2 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:07 pm Hey, I'm new to code busters and I'm asking for a good website to study for please respond asap!
cryptograms.org is a good website to practice aristocrats
for everything else you can try practice tests in the test exchange
the wiki is helpful for understanding some things (it doesn't cover everything though) - there are also lots of youtube videos explaining how to solve a lot of cipher types that are really helpful

these are pretty basic though, I'm sure there are much better study websites (I usually try to do all the aristos at tests so I use cryptograms.org mainly)
Thanks! but I looked at the website and it doesn't have atbash as its currently my favorite to decode is there any websites that have atbash practice?? i searched everywhere but I haven't found anything yet
Sorrow2

Post by Sorrow2 »

Somebody11 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:38 am Where can I find an as-easy-as-possible explanation of how to decrypt an Affine cipher with key? I am pretty confused with the math.
I recommend cryptograms.org I think it has some explanation for Affine Cipher idk
havent been on there a long time. I may be wrong.
Sorrow2

Post by Sorrow2 »

Any atbash study websites?????????? im trying to get the hang of atbash.
Sorrow2

Post by Sorrow2 »

Heres a good fun website to use for atbash practice and u get to play cool minigames https://dashboard.blooket.com/set/60354 ... 001a01d5b0
RasmitDevkota
Division: C
State: GA

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Sorrow2 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:07 pm Hey, I'm new to code busters and I'm asking for a good website to study for please respond asap!
A bit late but hopefully this still is helpful!
  • https://cryptograms.org - This site is perfect for when you're starting out Aristocrats or just want some easier practice for pattern recognition; once you start consistently falling within the Fast or even Very Fast ranges I would start shifting over to more difficult Aristocrats (though it can be fun and helpful to continue practicing Cryptograms from time to time!)
  • CodeTaker.web.app - As pumptato-cat mentioned earlier, this site basically allows you to upload a test file in the Toebes format (more on that in a bit) and take it online without having to print the test! You can also upload a Toebes test to the Toebes website by going to https://toebes.com/codebusters/ (there's a tutorial video on that page), from which you can actually get a printable copy of the test to take on paper.
  • Don't know what a Toebes format test is or how to make one? That's fine! You can use the Codebuilder bot on Discord or generate one by going to https://codebuilderweb.dralientech.repl ... on?preset= and reading the instructions there. Once you generate a test, you just download it to your device and upload it to CodeTaker or Toebes!
  • Want some quick practice for non-Aristocrats? You can go to https://kryption.web.app/ to practice Pollux, Porta, Affine, Patristocrats, Xenocrypts, and Atbash!
Having mentioned all these online resources, I cannot emphasize strongly enough how important it is to do paper practice—not only is it the funnest Codebusters experience but it's also the most helpful, especially if you're doing any in-person competitions.

Hope it's fine that I linked all that :) I maintain most of those sites (besides Toebes) so if there's another cipher or feature you want let me know :D Always happy to help the community out
Last edited by RasmitDevkota on December 17th, 2022, 2:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
These users thanked the author RasmitDevkota for the post:
pumptato-cat (December 15th, 2022, 5:27 pm)
Mythic
Division: B
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mythic »

Hi, I was wondering if there was an easy way to solve Patristocrats I get confused about how to start.

Thanks
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Mythic, I don't think there is any easy way to solve Patristocrats. Even national-level teams struggle, from what I've heard.
Unfortunately, it's just practice for Codebusters-no other way to improve. When I do Patristos, I like to look for patterns at the beginning and end(the middle isn't very helpful). For example, one that might appear is "HEWHO". In this case, I'd just use patterns memorized from Aristocrat practice and use letter frequency(the "E" in the example shown would likely be one of the most frequent letters, like the "O" would).
Hope that helps somewhat-it's mostly guessing, though. Good luck!
These users thanked the author pumptato-cat for the post:
Mythic (February 19th, 2023, 5:48 pm)
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
cyberdoggo
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by cyberdoggo »

Somebody11 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:38 am Where can I find an as-easy-as-possible explanation of how to decrypt an Affine cipher with key? I am pretty confused with the math.
to decrypt affine cipher, you need 3 values. a, b, and t. the decryption formula is t(x-b) mod26.
the easiest way to look at it is to see t as a^-1, where at mod26 has to equal 1.
to find the value of t, just use a.
for example, let's say a = 7 and b = 39.
to find 7t mod26 = 1, you just have to try every value. in this case, t = 15.
therefore, your decryption formula in this case would be 15(x-39) mod26.
hope that helps.
These users thanked the author cyberdoggo for the post:
Somebody11 (January 4th, 2023, 7:45 am)

Return to “2023 Study Events”