Codebusters B/C

Sorrow2
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Codebusters B/C

Post by Sorrow2 »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 21st, 2023, 2:15 pm Memorize the Baconian alphabet and grind. I don't know anything about Xenos so I can't help you there, but this event is literally just practice and there isn't a way around that. No shortcuts :(
sad :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wake up. its only me. I look at my reflection, its only me. I've only woke up to me and only me. no one with me.
its fine. perfectly fine.
hmmm
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

Mythic wrote: February 19th, 2023, 5:15 pm If we get less than 2 mistakes on a Special Bonus Question or the Timed Question are we supposed to get the Bonus Points?
I believe so. More than 2 errors means you get penalty points, and you don't get the bonus.
Last edited by hmmm on February 23rd, 2023, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Re: Codebusters returning?

Post by gz839918 »

PBJSandwich wrote: February 16th, 2023, 7:57 pm Hello friends, first post here. I am wondering whether Codebusters will be returning for 2024 and 2025. The event has repeated for 5 times in a row which is quite an amount for a repeating event. Will next year mark its death?

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Event_Rotations
(Sorry for the delay! I'm bumping your post because it got buried in the post approval process. Welcome to Scioly.org!)

John Toebes created Codebusters, and as long as he's still around, it's possible it may continue. I'm not too sure of anything though, since I'm not tapped into nationals nor do I know Toebes too well.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
Sorrow2
State: KS

Post by Sorrow2 »

What if on the timed question what if you do the thing the paper asks you to do at last second? does it still count??????/
I wake up. its only me. I look at my reflection, its only me. I've only woke up to me and only me. no one with me.
its fine. perfectly fine.
bangtanarmy7
State: AL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by bangtanarmy7 »

Sorrow2 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 1:24 pm What if on the timed question what if you do the thing the paper asks you to do at last second? does it still count??????/
You would still get full points for the question, but you wouldn't get the extra bonus points for solving it in the first 10 mins.
These users thanked the author bangtanarmy7 for the post:
Sorrow2 (March 1st, 2023, 9:16 am)
💜💜

"Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light, and a silver lining in between. It's like a silver sandwich. So, when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich."- Sokka
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Re: Codebusters returning?

Post by Umaroth »

PBJSandwich wrote: February 16th, 2023, 7:57 pm Hello friends, first post here. I am wondering whether Codebusters will be returning for 2024 and 2025. The event has repeated for 5 times in a row which is quite an amount for a repeating event. Will next year mark its death?

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Event_Rotations
Hello, now that the tentative event slate for next year is out, it appears that Codebusters is sticking around. I'd expect ciphers swapping in and out, but the core of the event staying the same (aristos, timed question, etc.)
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
Mythic
Division: B
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mythic »

Hello, I was wondering if someone could explain how you solve the Cryptanalysis of an Affine.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Mythic wrote: March 15th, 2023, 5:48 pm Hello, I was wondering if someone could explain how you solve the Cryptanalysis of an Affine.
Here's a worked example for you. You are given the cyphertext
"ABOBRFLYBMLHGQBPSLYLSSRYBTODGWLYLQDFRF", and told that the first two letters of the plaintext are H and E.

So you know that under the affine encryption, E(4) -> B(1) and H(7) ->A (0).

So (4a + b) mod 26 = 1
and (7a + b) mod 26 = 0

Subtracting these, you get 3a mod 26 = -1 = 25.

So we're hunting for a value of a for which 3a mod 26 = 25.
3a = 25 is no good, 'cause a needs to be an integer.
3a = 51 gives a = 17, which is a viable solution.
3a = 77 doesn't have an integer solution, and then there aren't any other valid solutions, because you know a<26.

So with a=17, the first equation becomes
(68 + b) mod 26 = 1
or equivalently
(16 + b) mod 26 = 1

And so b = 11.

Now you have determined a and b, you can compute the mappings.
A(0) -> (b mod 26) = 11 = L
B(1) -> (a + b) mod 26 = 2 = C
C(2) -> (2a + b) mod 26 = 19 = T
D(3) -> (3a + b) mod 26 = 10 = K.

And so on.

You might prefer to compute the mappings for the high frequency letters (etaoin shrdlu...) rather than doing them in alphabetical order. Finishing this off is left as an exercise for the reader ;)
Mythic
Division: B
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mythic »

Hi, quick question what operations can you get for a cryptarithm in states?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Mythic wrote: March 18th, 2023, 6:14 pm Hi, quick question what operations can you get for a cryptarithm in states?
There is no restriction in the rules. So in theory, the answer is "any mathematical operation that B team members can be assumed to be familiar with". Which would probably be addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots and small integer powers.

The rules don't actually specify that the cryptarithm has to be in base 10, but it would be a particularly evil ES who would compose a problem in any other base.

Return to “2023 Study Events”