bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Forestry B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Orcaboy
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by Orcaboy »

Are there lesson plans and practice tests?
scispork
State: NY

Post by scispork »

Orcaboy wrote: October 4th, 2022, 7:21 pm Are there lesson plans and practice tests?
There are some practice tests from the 2012 and 2013 seasons that can be found here:

2012 Forestry
2013 Forestry

It is important to note that these tests will likely be much easier than what you will experience during this season's competition, because during the 2012 and 2013 seasons competitors were only allowed reference sheets and now they are allowed binders.

Resources for learning forestry can be found on the SOinc website.

For others, I also want to ask the question of whether or not a leaf is required to have in a test when identifying a tree. Currently, rule 3e. states

"Leaf specimens ... may be accompanied by twigs, cones, seeds, or other parts of the tree.
Identification will be based on an examination of the leaf specimens..."

I interpret this to mean that the bare minimum when asked to identify a tree is to provide a leaf, and that it is not allowed to ask a competitor to identify a tree solely based on a twig, cone, seed, or other part, i.e. a leaf must be included no matter what. I understand that some people interpret this to mean that it is allowed to ask a competitor to identify a tree based solely on a twig, cone, etc. Rules clarifications were supposed to be open on the SOinc website by October 1st, and seeing as they haven't yet, just wondering if anyone was willing to weigh in on this.

Also why are there so many spelling mistakes on the list :/
2021 NYS Results
2022 NYS Results - 2022 Needed: Regional Adirondack, Regional Lower Hudson, Regional Southern Tier
2023 NYS Results - 2023 Needed: Regional Lower Hudson
nookandcranny
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs

Post by nookandcranny »

Does anyone know any reliable websites/alternate sources for finding info that isn't available in the "Audubon: Trees of North America" guide?
Nook and Cranny <3
scispork

Post by scispork »

nookandcranny wrote: October 19th, 2022, 1:01 pm Does anyone know any reliable websites/alternate sources for finding info that isn't available in the "Audubon: Trees of North America" guide?
Here are some resources that may be useful:
  • Oregon Forests - General forest management and conservation. Although a bit sparse in text, it also links to videos.
  • Know Your Forest - A good starting point, it links to many different sources about general forestry information.
  • Botany 115 - Online textbook and resources for a college level botany course.
  • Angiosperm Phylogeny - Contains a lot of information on tree taxonomies and some on individual trees, but is extremely dense.
  • Arbor Day Tree Guide - Contains semi-detailed information on specific trees, as well as basic general tree information.
  • North Dakota Tree Handbook - Contains semi-detailed information on specific trees, but the information it does have is very useful.
  • Michigan Trees - Contains basic information on only a few specific trees, has pretty pictures though!
Last edited by scispork on November 20th, 2022, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author scispork for the post (total 4):
gz839918 (December 6th, 2022, 12:52 pm) • sc95837 (December 18th, 2022, 4:16 pm) • nookandcranny (January 14th, 2023, 2:18 pm) • eolhc2023 (April 20th, 2023, 10:17 am)
2021 NYS Results
2022 NYS Results - 2022 Needed: Regional Adirondack, Regional Lower Hudson, Regional Southern Tier
sc95837

Post by sc95837 »

"Leaf specimens ... may be accompanied by twigs, cones, seeds, or other parts of the tree.

I interpret this to mean that the bare minimum when asked to identify a tree is to provide a leaf, and that it is not allowed to ask a competitor to identify a tree solely based on a twig, cone, seed, or other part, i.e. a leaf must be included no matter what. I understand that some people interpret this to mean that it is allowed to ask a competitor to identify a tree based solely on a twig, cone, etc. Rules clarifications were supposed to be open on the SOinc website by October 1st, and seeing as they haven't yet, just wondering if anyone was willing to weigh in on this.
I don't think that's the case. In the BullSO test there were some IDs which were by cross-sections of the trunk, as well as some description-identifications, so I guess that's the precedent???
I don't think it should be made to have only leaf-IDs because those cross-section and description IDs were really interesting/novel.
scispork

Post by scispork »

sc95837 wrote: November 26th, 2022, 10:48 am

I don't think that's the case. In the BullSO test there were some IDs which were by cross-sections of the trunk, as well as some description-identifications, so I guess that's the precedent???
I don't think it should be made to have only leaf-IDs because those cross-section and description IDs were really interesting/novel.
BullSO is an invitational, and invitationals tend to not adhere to the rules as strictly as regionals/states/national competitions, so I don't think it is wise to use them to set a precedent. I'm not saying that I agree with the rules, in fact I agree with you that it would be more interesting to not have to include leaves. However, I still think the most logical interpretation of the rules is that including a leaf is the bare minimum. In the end, this is all speculation and the specifics of this rule will likely not matter unless an official rules clarification is issued, so it is best to prepare for ID without leaves as well as with leaves.
These users thanked the author scispork for the post:
oklumberjack34 (April 3rd, 2023, 1:08 pm)
2021 NYS Results
sc95837

Post by sc95837 »

Question: Why is the Audubón field guide the one which is mostly being used/mentioned in conversations?
Metronome

Post by Metronome »

Probably because the 2023 Tree List is based on the taxonomy of the Audubon Field Guide. They're also a sponsor of Science Olympiad, so coaches and administrators are inclined to mention them more often. As a field guide, it's not bad (includes all of the trees with the exception of the legume family- or at least, I think with the exception of the legume family as I've been unable to find it) but the information there is very general, with habitat, a description of the tree, a few pictures, commercial uses, information of leaves, cones, and fruit, and height of the tree. The front section of the field guide is all about leaves and reforestation and the more science-y aspects of Forestry
eolhc2023
Division: B
State: WA
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs

Post by eolhc2023 »

Question: Can someone explain the major difference between American and Slippery Elm?
Slippery Elm has larger and rougher leaves, and I usually know when one of the following questions is about the source of it's name (even though this doesn't always work). I've compared many images of the two, but sometimes the differences I know about aren't obvious or don't even show. Is there any other way to tell the difference?

Return to “2023 Study Events”