pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Scrambler C

Post by pumptato-cat »

Yeah but then I end up drilling through the piece that guides the drill-
i've tried metal, plastic, etc and they just don't work :( thanks for the advice though!
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
ccasediaz
Division: B
State: FL

Post by ccasediaz »

If your school does not let you print with its 3D printer you can find some online 3D printing that is pretty inexpensive. We used Craftcloud to 3D print- it gives you a lot of different vendors and different pricing depending on what material you want to use. Just another option if you really want to 3D print
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

My school doesn't have a 3D printer. And I don't wanna order a lot because that means shipping 😭 (there's no way I print and order once and make a perfect vehicle) Thanks though!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: September 26th, 2022, 6:34 pm My school doesn't have a 3D printer. And I don't wanna order a lot because that means shipping 😭 (there's no way I print and order once and make a perfect vehicle) Thanks though!
Other options for 3D printing might be a public library (some have 3D printers, depending on where you are) or a local makerspace. If you've got a local makerspace type place, people there are usually pretty helpful. If you call them and tell them you're a high school student doing science olympiad and are looking to 3D-print parts for a vehicle, I'll bet someone would help you get set up.

(I hear you about shipping. We got parts laser cut for a build last year, and the shipping was most of the cost!)

Failing that, talk to your coach - they might know someone. Colleges, small businesses, private individuals: there are a lot of 3D printers scattered around, and a lot of people are willing to help out polite kids who are asking for help with something reasonable.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Thank you so much for all the advice! Unfortunately, our local library doesn't have a printer.. nearby colleges do not, either. I do know that our robotics team bought a printer using fundraiser money, but I don't think they'll let me use it..(their team is crazy competitive) Haha, yeah, shipping was like half my expenses for mtv...Thanks again! I'll try out your last suggestion. Good luck this season! :D
dcambrid
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dcambrid »

So reading the rules, it doesn't seem like there would be a need to steer the vehicle based on the description of the track in the rules. When I go look at the track diagram on soinc.org, it shows a bucket at the center point, but the file says 2017 track diagram. I am assuming that the rules are the rules and that there will be an updated track diagram with no bucket? Am I missing something in the rules?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

When scrambler was last run (for B division), the track was straight in the first year, and the curved path around the bucket was an additional complication included in the second year of the event. It would not surprise me to see a similar complication added next year.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Hey, what are you guys using for pulley material? (or for the spring launcher) I'm considering using fishing wire but I don't know if it'll stretch or be too flimsy...
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: October 10th, 2022, 1:58 pm Hey, what are you guys using for pulley material? (or for the spring launcher) I'm considering using fishing wire but I don't know if it'll stretch or be too flimsy...
"Fishing line" comes in a variety of different sizes, strengths, and materials. You might find that a fishing line in braided Spectra or Dyneema would suit.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
pumptato-cat (October 11th, 2022, 12:54 pm)
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Thanks! Have any of you guys had issues with fishing line untying knots? I used to have some and it was fiddly to work with... (if so, how did you fix it? this is for a spring launcher and I'm afraid of it snapping or untying at my knots)

Return to “Scrambler C”