Scrambler C

CypherKat

Re: Scrambler C

Post by CypherKat »

One of the problems we faced time wise was that because of a little jump in the beginning the etv lost some momentum. It reached the distance ventually but on a good run it was taking on 7-8 sec to get on target.
Last edited by CypherKat on January 11th, 2023, 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Hey does anyone wanna trade scores in PMs? Curious to see if anyone has gotten below 3sec in time.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
randoscioly8
State: WI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by randoscioly8 »

Can you drill holes for the dowels on the egg holder in the backstop?
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

randoscioly8 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:25 am Can you drill holes for the dowels on the egg holder in the backstop?
Yup, as long at the dowel on top extends 20cm above the ground and the other dowels are extended oout between the 3-4cm requirement. Cut your dowels a little longer and put them in.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

pumptato-cat wrote: January 15th, 2023, 1:13 pm Hey does anyone wanna trade scores in PMs? Curious to see if anyone has gotten below 3sec in time.
Yes people have gotten < 3 seconds. Nobody <2 seconds at MIT - fastest I recall was ~2.1.
I would emphasize that distance is far more important than time. If you are consistently below 3-5cm, then I would work on shaving of seconds. If you are not, you need to work on accuracy. Typically, issues are with unstable launching, poor aiming of the launcher/device when docked, steering issues with the ETV, skid on the ETV.

I believe nationals top 3 can/will be <10 points.
Last edited by windu34 on January 29th, 2023, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

<3 seconds

lol
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Thanks windu!
How are you guys timing/measuring? I take videos but they are hard to measure time with. For measuring i measure from egg to wall but it's kinda hard because of the curve of the egg-anyone got an easier way?
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

pumptato-cat wrote: January 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm Thanks windu!
How are you guys timing/measuring? I take videos but they are hard to measure time with. For measuring i measure from egg to wall but it's kinda hard because of the curve of the egg-anyone got an easier way?

For timing I usually have my partner and another person time, and then they compare what they get. Usually with a good old stopwatch, but sometimes for convenience sake we use a phone.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Stopwatch. We've always found stopwatch plus watching the vehicle to be more useful than video in the usual case.

For the distance, we use a carpenter's square standing on the floor to translate the point of the egg to the ground, and measure from the target point with a measuring tape on the ground.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

knightmoves wrote: January 27th, 2023, 5:06 am
Stopwatch. We've always found stopwatch plus watching the vehicle to be more useful than video in the usual case.

For the distance, we use a carpenter's square standing on the floor to translate the point of the egg to the ground, and measure from the target point with a measuring tape on the ground.
Agree with the above comments. Time can be measured with a stopwatch or phone accurate to a few tenths of a second. Given time isnt worth a ton (unlike previously in electric vehicle where it was time x 10), i think stopwatch or phone is plenty precise with sufficient accuracy if you have at last 2 people timing at competition.

I always use laser distance measurement tools for both measuring at competition and when i used to practice. You can get a good one for <$30 on amazon. Tape measure works too though.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laser+measur ... doa-p_2_11
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Scrambler C”