Scrambler C

pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Scrambler C

Post by pumptato-cat »

A bit of a weird question, but can you lubricate the #2 pencil they give you?
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

I'd interpret that as "no" - the ES provides a pencil, and wants it back in the same state it came in (which means you can't sharpen it, or add lubricant, or whatever else). But you might get away with it.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

knightmoves wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:02 pm I'd interpret that as "no" - the ES provides a pencil, and wants it back in the same state it came in (which means you can't sharpen it, or add lubricant, or whatever else). But you might get away with it.
Wait, but would adding lubricant after they give it to me and wiping it off after my runs be legal? I don't see anything in the rules about this so I'm not sure...
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by sachleen »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:18 pm
knightmoves wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:02 pm I'd interpret that as "no" - the ES provides a pencil, and wants it back in the same state it came in (which means you can't sharpen it, or add lubricant, or whatever else). But you might get away with it.
Wait, but would adding lubricant after they give it to me and wiping it off after my runs be legal? I don't see anything in the rules about this so I'm not sure...
My general advice for things like this is look at why you feel the need to lubricate the pencil in the first place. Is there another way you can have a reliable release mechanism without altering the pencil? The ES might not care, or they may say no, and then might you spend part of your 8 minutes arguing with them about it. Instead, look at what elements you have control over and maybe improve your launch mechanism to not require a lubricated pencil.

If it was me, I'd probably allow it and let you keep the pencil, but we also (usually) bring a pack of pencils in case one breaks or a team forgets to return it. But if I only had a couple of pencils, I'd likely say no because other teams have to use it, too. So it just depends, but I why risk it?
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Thanks everyone! Wow. Regionals was an absolute wreck. They didn't measure most of the dimensions and they didn't even provide a pencil. I just used my own and they didn't particularly care.
My pencil has to be lubricated because it's three eyeholes and the center one is attached to the weight. You pull the pencil out to the right to release the car. If not lubricated, the launcher will be pulled to the side you pull the pencil out of, messing up the angle. It's relatively heavy and has rubber feet so I'm not sure what else I can do to improve.
You both brought up good points though, so if I continue to States with Scrambler I'll definitely find a different trigger system.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 25th, 2023, 4:02 pm My pencil has to be lubricated because it's three eyeholes and the center one is attached to the weight. You pull the pencil out to the right to release the car. If not lubricated, the launcher will be pulled to the side you pull the pencil out of, messing up the angle. It's relatively heavy and has rubber feet so I'm not sure what else I can do to improve.
You both brought up good points though, so if I continue to States with Scrambler I'll definitely find a different trigger system.
So your problem is that when you pull the pencil out (sideways), it brings the launcher with it because of the friction?

What if you replaced the pencil with a metal pin of some kind (lower friction), had some kind of loop or hook on the head of the pin, and used the pencil to pull it out? Perhaps you can even arrange things so that you use the pencil as a lever (pull the pin out with the end of the pencil near your hand, apply counterpressure to the body of the launcher with the other end of the pencil).
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Thank you!!!!! I can't believe I've never thought of that. Sounds so much more reliable than smearing Vaseline all over the trigger at launch...
CrazyMilkman123
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Post by CrazyMilkman123 »

Am I allowed to attach the backstop to the car by drilling holes and using screws to screw it on?
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

CrazyMilkman123 wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:04 pm Am I allowed to attach the backstop to the car by drilling holes and using screws to screw it on?
Among the other requirements for the backstop, the rules mention this specifically (I've bolded the relevant part):
3e. The egg must rest on two (2) 1⁄4” wooden dowels which extend out between 3.0 and 4.0 cm from a rigid, unpadded and flat (no unfilled holes) backstop for the egg.
Based on this, I would have no issue with the backstop being screwed in from the face as long as the holes were filled with something rigid (wood plugs, wood filler that hardens when dry) and the face of the backstop is flat.
BobaTeaTastesGood
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BobaTeaTastesGood »

What are the merits of having a spring/elastic launcher versus a pulley system launcher? I have yet to see another spring/elastic launcher, but I've seen a few pulley launchers. I suppose the goal would be to maximize the speed at which the vehicle is pulled as the weight falls? Or are spring launchers simply not relevant with such a light falling weight?
I've tried constructing a locking mechanism like the one described on the wikipage, but even after messing around/tuning it for a while, it only makes our vehicle slower. Right now, we just launch it like a "regular" string launcher, just with some rubber loops in the middle of the string. Has anyone else had success with a locking spring launcher?
yoasobi and beabadoobee enjoyer

Return to “Scrambler C”