Scrambler C

pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Scrambler C

Post by pumptato-cat »

The cushion is part of the launcher. That's why it is included in the base.
I don't know what your design is, but if you do things properly you should not lose that much fall height. The rules may not be convenient this year, but that is part of the challenge.
I don't see what you mean--the rules are quite clear.
These users thanked the author pumptato-cat for the post:
ahriman (November 16th, 2022, 11:25 am)
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
ahriman
State: NY

Post by ahriman »

Thank you for your response. I think I can live with the rules as they apply to everyone.

The reason I asked the question is, if everything goes as planned, the weight will free fall for about 5cm from the floor, which can be dampened even by a folded kitchen towel. However, 90% of the runs during practice will fail, which means the weight will free fall on the frame or on ETV 90% of the time. To solve this issue, I have to reserve around 20x20cm(depending on the dimensions of the weight) space in the back of the base for the weight to roll away from the scrambler frame and ETV. This will cut into the length of the ETV, as realistically, I only have around 55x75x50cm to work with.

Hopefully, rules will change next year.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

knightmoves wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:44 pm
windu34 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 2:57 pm
pumptato-cat wrote: November 14th, 2022, 8:12 am Hmm-what are you using for your cushion and weight? Also, I'll check my rules later but I'm pretty sure that your weight bouncing and hitting the floor is a rules violation..
In theory I agree, but I do not see this explicitly in the rules nor the scoring checklist. The wheels leaving residue is in there, but nothing about the mass and the launcher. I believe its been in them in prior years. As an ES, I'm not sure I could penalize this.
3c "The falling mass must not directly contact the venue floor by using a pad or similar protective cushion"

In my reading, a falling mass that bounces off a pad and hits the naked floor of the venue is a construction violation.
Ah thanks knew it must be in there somewhere
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

ahriman wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:58 am Thank you for your response. I think I can live with the rules as they apply to everyone.

The reason I asked the question is, if everything goes as planned, the weight will free fall for about 5cm from the floor, which can be dampened even by a folded kitchen towel. However, 90% of the runs during practice will fail, which means the weight will free fall on the frame or on ETV 90% of the time. To solve this issue, I have to reserve around 20x20cm(depending on the dimensions of the weight) space in the back of the base for the weight to roll away from the scrambler frame and ETV. This will cut into the length of the ETV, as realistically, I only have around 55x75x50cm to work with.

Hopefully, rules will change next year.
Have you considered a barrier to contain the falling mass? For example, having it fall inside a PVC pipe.
These users thanked the author windu34 for the post (total 2):
pumptato-cat (November 21st, 2022, 1:30 pm) • ahriman (November 21st, 2022, 1:45 pm)
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

I know the backstop must be 5cm*5cm*0.5in, but am I allowed to fuse the backstop with another part?
Here's a picture of what I mean.

Oh, and another question-for those of you who use 3D printers, have you ever experienced your pieces deforming from heat/pressure? If so, what temperature? And was there a high amount of force being placed on those components?
Attachments
backstop.PNG
backstop.PNG (117.19 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Last edited by pumptato-cat on January 2nd, 2023, 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

pumptato-cat wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:04 pm I know the backstop must be 5cm*5cm*0.5in, but am I allowed to fuse the backstop with another part?

Oh, and another question-for those of you who use 3D printers, have you ever experienced your pieces deforming from heat/pressure? If so, what temperature? And was there a high amount of force being placed on those components?
RE fuse backstop - I think that is fine
RE deforming - yes with heat. Don't leave it in the car in the sun. High force alone will not deform, it will break. Deform requires heat + force.
JonB
Coach
Coach

Post by JonB »

windu34 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:44 pm
pumptato-cat wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:04 pm I know the backstop must be 5cm*5cm*0.5in, but am I allowed to fuse the backstop with another part?

RE fuse backstop - I think that is fine
RE deforming - yes with heat. Don't leave it in the car in the sun. High force alone will not deform, it will break. Deform requires heat + force.

+1 for not leaving it in your car.
As long as there are no crazy forces on the 3D printed piece, it should not deform much. The material, infill, etc can impact this.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Yeah I won't be competing past February so I think I shouldn't have issues with pieces deforming-Thank you so much!
emilyz
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by emilyz »

Hi guys,
If you used a pulley system, how did you attach your ETV to the pulley so that once the mass fell, it would pull the ETV and let go? Please get back to me ASAP, thanks!
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Here's an example of a pulley launcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0_J-Y2 ... l=IsaPamuk
I'm building a spring launcher so my release mechanism is slightly different(or else I'd PM a video or something), but basically you want the pulley end to attach to the car with some sort of hook. As the weight drops, the car is pulled forward by the hook, and at a certain point releases. In the video, it's simply a loop tied around a pin. Hope this helps!

Return to “Scrambler C”