Scrambler C

knightmoves

Re: Scrambler C

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: October 16th, 2022, 7:46 am Hmm, how would you mount the egg? :?: (sorry if this is a stupid question...) I've never thought of using a 3 wheeled car haha
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

OH-I didn't even think of that 🤦‍♀️Thanks!
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

I'm planning on a spring launcher and a light vehicle, so yeah probably 4 wheels. It's definitely impossible to build a perfect frame so I build mine with some sort of joint/pivot point for adjusting. It's not perfect but was decent enough for mtv 🤷‍♀️ Thanks for all the advice! :)
ramason26
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ramason26 »

does anyone know if it would be ok to have something that extends past the egg to stop the vehicle
DragonMaster9817
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DragonMaster9817 »

How do you make the propulsion device? the rules and official site have been really vague in describing it, I don't know how the vehicle is supposed to be propelled. Is it like a mousetrap car or a launcher, supposedly one powered by a spring?
Last edited by DragonMaster9817 on October 24th, 2022, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobaTeaTastesGood
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BobaTeaTastesGood »

So I'm planning to do a larger vehicle (maybe 16" wide by 22" long) connected by carbon fiber rods/tubes in a rectangular fashion. I'm looking at around 8mm diameter for these rods, but this is really just an informed guess. What diameter would be ideal for this size frame? Any tips for cutting rods/tubes? Are there any popular/reputable/affordable sources for these? (McMaster is expensive lol)
Thanks, everyone!
yoasobi and beabadoobee enjoyer
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

DragonMaster9817 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:33 pm How do you make the propulsion device? the rules and official site have been really vague in describing it, I don't know how the vehicle is supposed to be propelled. Is it like a mousetrap car or a launcher, supposedly one powered by a spring?
Have you checked the wiki page on scioly.org and the image gallery? Lots of good submissions there that can give you an idea of what it should look like(also videos on youtube). They have a whole section on the 4 types of spring launchers and animated pictures that show how they function. Also, it's not similar to mousetrap car because of rule 3c, which states, "All energy used to propel the Vehicle must come from a falling mass", and doesn't necessarily have to be powered by a spring(check wiki for details).
BobaTeaTastesGood wrote: October 26th, 2022, 7:25 pm Any tips for cutting rods/tubes? Are there any popular/reputable/affordable sources for these? (McMaster is expensive lol)
Thanks, everyone!
I don't know much about CF(am also planning to use that for my ETV so still figuring stuff out) except that you should be extremely careful while cutting them. When cutting/sanding, fibers are created that can be inhaled into your lungs, similar to asbestos. This may cause lung cancer.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -dangerous <-- for more info
Yeah, McMaster's expensive :( If you're low on funding like my team maybe try looking for alternatives? Metal tubing seems like a possible alternative. (and I've seen some devices made from wooden dowels..)
The most popular website I've seen used seems to be https://dragonplate.com/DragonPlate-Carbon-Rod-8mm-x-24
(Also, I would die for boba boba is my life I love boba 🤩)
Last edited by pumptato-cat on October 26th, 2022, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author pumptato-cat for the post:
BobaTeaTastesGood (October 27th, 2022, 7:45 am)
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

A Dremel with a cutting wheel will go right through it, but so would a hand saw with a fine-toothed blade. Cut it outside and wear a KN95/safety glasses and you are good to go. It cuts very easily.

Dragon Plate carbon fiber products are really good. Their pultruded carbon tubes are a good/fair price and consistent in quality.

Cutting metal is much more of a pain than cutting pultruded carbon fiber.
These users thanked the author JonB for the post:
BobaTeaTastesGood (October 27th, 2022, 7:45 am)
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Hey, how are you guys dealing with the significantly smaller stats for this year's rules? The height limit used to be like 90cm and now I'm worried my car won't have enough to make it to 11m... 50cm isn't much but when you count wood thickness, eyehole screws(for pulleys but you might have a different design?) that's like 40cm...
My team's going for building the vehicle very light, but we're not sure how efficient that's going to be(like you can't really cut beyond 200g from what I've seen..)
Last edited by pumptato-cat on October 30th, 2022, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: October 30th, 2022, 4:52 pm Hey, how are you guys dealing with the significantly smaller stats for this year's rules? The height limit used to be like 90cm and now I'm worried my car won't have enough to make it to 11m... 50cm isn't much but when you count wood thickness, eyehole screws(for pulleys but you might have a different design?) that's like 40cm...
My team's going for building the vehicle very light, but we're not sure how efficient that's going to be(like you can't really cut beyond 200g from what I've seen..)
Less available energy means two things:
1. Efficient energy transfer from the falling mass to the vehicle is more important
2. Low friction in the vehicle is more important

Return to “Scrambler C”