Ram458
Division: C
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by Ram458 »

Hello,

Can you just tape the egg to a hot wheels car and roll the car off a ramp?

Thanks
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Ramps are illegal. Taping the egg to a Hot Wheels car is also illegal, unless you install the 5cm*5cm*1.27cm backstop, along with the 1/4" dowels required to hold the egg. Just build a proper chassis-it'll be easier.
I also don't see a Hot Wheels car traveling more than like 1 meter.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

How are we supposed to use the pencil to stop it from falling, I’m using the pulley launcher and we have a pulley at the top. We have a bracket that we can slide a pencil in but the string might slip because of the weight. Any suggestions?

Another issue we’re having is that the max distance of our etv is only 24 feet. To reach min 8 m we need around 26
Last edited by CypherKat on January 8th, 2023, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

What do you mean by the string slipping from the weight? You can look up Youtube videos of Scrambler runs-I've seen a pencil used as a trigger with two eyeholes. The pencil is slotted through the eyeholes with the weight's string tied to it, and once the pencil is pulled out, the string falls. It should not slip if your pencil is parallel to the floor. (there are other ways to accomplish this, the example stated above is just one way of doing it).
As for your maximum distance, what is your ETV's weight? Other than that, you might want to look into reducing friction between the axle and chassis. The only other issue I can think of without more details is wheel diameter(larger wheels will cruise longer and travel further than small wheels)
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

We cut out weight on the etv and we’re already using large diameter wheels( cd disks). The axles were using are brass which might be adding the weight, and I can add graphite powder to decrease the friction
Last edited by CypherKat on January 10th, 2023, 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Are you using ball bearings? Graphite powder might help but bearings are the best for speed and low friction.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

What are you all using for wheels? I ditched CDs for their weight and bad traction(skidding 30cm is no fun...) and switched to Banebots. They're crazy expensive, though, so I'm looking for workarounds. Has anyone 3D printed wheels? I was looking into some TPU filament but it looks like the softest is 60A :(
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

Saw someone with 3D printed wheels at regionals today, the end result was some were around 20-30 cm away from center line. They definitely seem to work but only issue might be working with what infill the wheels need to have. This team in particular had their entire chassis also 3-D printed. I’m still using CD’s but haven’t had issues with skidding in a while (most being 2-3cm). What I actually ended up experiencing was more skid with balloons on for traction, so taking them off reduced skid for me.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

You're not getting skidding without balloons? Wow, that's interesting. I used CDs a while back and would get skidding at least 15cm, varying quite a bit. If you don't mind sharing, what times are you getting?
Also, wow-your regional tournament is very early... Mine is 2/25.
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

For our 10m run we got 11.23 seconds. That can definitely be fine tuned because the floor I originally tested on was sloped and not giving accurate testing distance and time. At comp 10m was our target distance and with 0 y distance and 3.3 cm in the x axis from the center line, it took that much time to get there. This was without the wing nut stopping it because it slowed down enough to literally tap the wooden board with the egg. Additionally when it did stop with the wingnut and the conditions were the same we set it so that it stops 10cm before the target and it skidded 3ish cm and the time for that came around 10.86
Last edited by CypherKat on January 11th, 2023, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Scrambler C”