coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Re: Flight B/C

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Good luck to all going to Nationals!

Remember to make a plan and stick to it. "Read the room" and set your flight accordingly. Set a circle size based on room size (50-60% is usually good). Div C probably needs to be no-touch, at least first flight. Try to watch earlier flights to see what drift there might be and adjust your launch location accordingly.

Double check all of your supplies, tools, and dimensions. Don't let a sketchy box tier you! This is Nationals and they will be exacting, even if Regionals and States let you slide. Check 6 pieces of rubber to account for breakage due to high pressure flying! Fly like you practiced, don't do something different because of observations of another team, at least on your first "safe" flight.

Review the rules, know them. Check every rule against your equipment to be sure you did not miss something

Double-check your logs. Are they accurate? Do you have (at least) 6 columns of DATA (Date, plane number, flight number are not usually considered flight data). Do you have 10 flights with all columns recorded? If one column never changes in the ten flights, do you have backup data to show you did vary those columns? (It is best, IMHO, to have additional columns of data in case one is questioned) Is your build log complete? (Note: These are MY INTERPRETATIONS, on the safe side, of data required. Best to be safe, complete, and excessive, IMHO. But, I am not a Nats Official and so this is ONLY MY GUIDANCE BASED ON EXPERIENCE, not official). Did you update your cover sheet for Nationals?

Most "good luck" comes from good preparation.

Do your best and enjoy the experience!

Coach Chuck
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post (total 2):
jaspattack (May 15th, 2023, 1:48 pm) • Vive (May 15th, 2023, 1:49 pm)
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Post by jander14indoor »

Logs. do you have units on EVERY numerical measurement?! Either column heading or EVERY entry. Make your log EASY to read and count.
Things I saw at MI state on the logs:
Units on some of the values in a column, then skip a few then units again.
Assuming that xx:xx will be read as minutes:seconds vice hours:minutes or proportion, or whatever.
BE thorough on the logs, easy penalty to avoid, but also easy to get caught!
If you are using torque and your meter really doesn't have units, be ready to justify that!! You might want to include a diagram of the face of your meter. But if it does have units, include them on the log!
Etc.

Also, read the FAQs!!

Don't assume because you didn't have a problem at your state tournament that you are OK at nationals. READ THE RULES carefully, check yourself against them rigidly!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Last edited by jander14indoor on May 15th, 2023, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jander14indoor for the post:
coachchuckaahs (May 16th, 2023, 7:10 am)
Astronomyguy
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Astronomyguy »

ParekhPar wrote: May 14th, 2023, 1:59 pm Question for the group - we are excited about traveling to Wichita this week, but unsure how to transport our planes effectively for an 11 hour drive in their custom boxes. Seeing that the planes should travel deconstructed to avoid the wing getting crushed by the box sliding or jostling, any tips on padding the boxes / filler that would not damage the mylar and components? Thanks in advance!
Many teams prefer a Sterilite box. They are made of hard plastic so you need not worry about the plane getting crushed. I put my plane fully assembled in the box, because parts of a disassembled plane may jostle against each other and cause damage. Division B planes are larger than Division C, so if you have trouble fitting them in a box you could store the parts separately. just make sure your team is okay with taking the plane apart - adjustments of the wings have been fine tuned over the past couple of months and they may want to make some markings to assist in reassembling the plane.

Some teams also put their competition box in a Sterilite box, as they are often made of foamboard and can be damaged easily. With proper storage on a car ride, this shouldn't happen, but I'm just throwing this out there if you want it. I personally don't go through the hassle of it.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Jeff:

Excellent points on units! A lot of logs lack any units. The rules require "appropriate" units. This is particularly important on torque. While some torque meters are "uncalibrated" indications (and you should note that and be ready to defend), some electronic torque meters I have seen reported in grams. Grams is NOT a unit of torque! Usually the arm length is set to convert a grams reading to oz-in*10 (2.835" arm) or oz to oz-in (1" arm).

Jeff also mentions FAQ's. These carry equal weight with the rules! And in Flight there are MANY this year. read and print them, store them in your folder with the rules. These are OFFICIAL interpretations.

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

ParekhPar wrote: May 14th, 2023, 1:59 pm Question for the group - we are excited about traveling to Wichita this week, but unsure how to transport our planes effectively for an 11 hour drive in their custom boxes. Seeing that the planes should travel deconstructed to avoid the wing getting crushed by the box sliding or jostling, any tips on padding the boxes / filler that would not damage the mylar and components? Thanks in advance!
We always used Sterite plastic boxes with plenty of room, and kept our planes together. This is particularly important when you have a plane that is sensitive to adjustment, such as the Div C plane this year. The official measurement box, for some plane designs, need the plane placed in it diagonally, and if not properly supported could result in warped surfaces and other damage.

In the Sterite box, we make two pedestals of foam (the slick stiff foam that computers are packed in works well). Typically we make a pedestal about 1-1.5" square, tall enough that no part of the plan touches the floor. Cut a slit in the top of each pedestal to fit the motorstick. Then, with the plane attached to the loose posts, carefully set the plane into the box. Mark the locations of the post, and lift back out. Use hot melt glue in the marked areas, and place the plane/post assembly back in carefully. This gives posts that are aligned with the plane and won't add a warp to your MS. If you have two planes, they can be stacked by cutting a slit into the side of the foam posts.. The box should be large enough to fit the plane without touching the sides.

If you are flying to Nationals, you will certainly have to disassemble the plane, and likely the official box. The plane can be packed in peanuts or light layers of bubble wrap. You will want to find an opportunity to test fly locally after re-assembling the plane. There may be official practice slots, or this year there is a nearby indoor event that is offering flight time for SO participants.

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
Astronomyguy

Post by Astronomyguy »

I saw a video of some planes flying at nats. Looks like they’re doing 2 at a time, and the two that I saw definitely had times around 3:30, judging from how well they’re flying and how high. If anyone has any information on the top times at nats this year, I’d like to know.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I ran C and B was right next to me. With 10 teams an hour, have to have two teams running at a time to stay on track. In C it only caused a problem on one flight that generated a reflight.
Since awards have been announced:
Div B (I only have approx times for top two)
Sierra Vista, CA ~4:10
Beckendorff, TX, just north of 4 minutes
Solon, OH
Kennedy, CA
Timberline, WA
Clague, MI

Div C
Ed W. Clark High School, NV 3:00
William P. Clements High School, TX 2:57+
Mason High School, OH 2:39+
Castro Valley High School, CA 2:39+ just under Mason
Solon High School, OH 2:38+
Ann Arbor Pioneer High School, MI 2:34+
The plus sign is just over time given, but not to next second
Overall:
23 teams above 2 minutes
another 10 above 1 minute
Biggest issues, div C
Boxes too big
Not bringing a box for each plane

Oh, air was off all day. Had a panic during practice, but got it back off.
Space wasn't too bad. Volley ball nets at one end of court couldn't be sucked up to ceiling fully and reduced the safely usable ceiling/floor space. They caught three planes in div C. Not too many planes caught up in the rafters, but students gave us a few thrills flying between rafters.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Jeff,

Thanks much for the details. What was the effective ceiling height?

Brian T
Astronomyguy

Post by Astronomyguy »

bjt4888 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:16 pm Jeff,

Thanks much for the details. What was the effective ceiling height?

Brian T
From the website:

FLIGHT: This will be held on a full basketball court with curtains down, a basketball court is 94’x50′. The ceiling height is 27′. A/C is schedule to be off.

https://scienceolympiad2023.com/index.php/divison-c/

The girders in the image appear to hang abut 5 feet or so from the ceiling, so the effective height was about 22 feet.

Edit: Don't see the volleyball nets Jeff mentioned so this might be a bit off, he can definitely provide a better estimate, being there himself. THis is just my guess :)
Last edited by Astronomyguy on May 20th, 2023, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danxmemes
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by danxmemes »

Hi guys, here are the div b times that I know of

1st place 4:10
2nd place 4:05 :D
3rd place 3:26
I don’t know fourth or fifth
6th place 3:08

Congrats to everyone! I learned a lot from meeting awesome people there and on Friday during the practice session!

Return to “Flight B/C”