Flight B/C

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flight B/C

Post by jander14indoor »

bjt4888 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:15 pm
danxmemes wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:47 pm <SNIP>

Second thing, just kind of weird, is the way my lubricant is applied. This is the lubricant that I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-11- ... 529794-_-N

The interesting part is that whenever I directly spray it onto the rubber, all is fine, and I have tested this across over 10 rubbers. However, when I spray the lubricant into a bag and then do the same winding process, the rubber is significantly weaker and has a bunch of tears in it after only 2 winds. Just a weird thing that I wanted to share, but am I being superstitious or is there something else going on?
<SNIP>
Danx,

Looking at the SDS sheet (in the link you supplied), hydrotreated light distillate is a petroleum product. This does not look like good rubber motor lubricant. Try using Armor All “Original Formula”. This is available at almost any automotive shop and from other online sources. We have used this lubricant for years and can reliably wind a motor aggressively to 80-95% of breaking turns six to eight times with good flying characteristics.

If you supply your flight log showing the rubber density and winding details for the past good flights and the recent not as good flights, we can provide more assistance.

Brian T
Difference spray on vs in bag. Spray on probably lets the petroleum distillate evaporate so quickly that it doesn't damage the motor (as much, I'd still avoid it). In the bag doesn't let the petroleum distillate evaporate, giving it more time to damage the rubber.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

Hello!

I’m having trouble with climb for div c, my partner and I are using .102(which is probably the problem) on around 1200 turns. We don’t have a torque meter but I’ve been consistently unwinding anywhere from 50-100 turns, but our plane climbs like crazy. We had a really good run, but it hit the ceiling 4 times and definitely is a killer on time. Any suggestions. We also messed with wing warp so the TE is around 3/8 “ below the LE.

I should also mention ceiling height was 20-25 feet the ceiling was sloped cuz this was an indoor soccer field.

Invitational I’m doing is 30ft
I also have a video of this.
Last edited by CypherKat on February 3rd, 2023, 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

CypherKat wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 3:54 am Hello!

I’m having trouble with climb for div c, my partner and I are using .102(which is probably the problem) on around 1200 turns. We don’t have a torque meter but I’ve been consistently unwinding anywhere from 50-100 turns, but our plane climbs like crazy. We had a really good run, but it hit the ceiling 4 times and definitely is a killer on time. Any suggestions. We also messed with wing warp so the TE is around 3/8 “ below the LE.

I should also mention ceiling height was 20-25 feet the ceiling was sloped cuz this was an indoor soccer field.

Cypher,

What kit are you using? Are the other specifications set to the kit recommended measurements. I am assuming that the 3/8” wing warp you are referring to is left wing washin.

If all other specs (CG, incidence, stabilizer tilt, rudder offset) are correct, the typical method to reduce climb rate is to increase propeller pitch. Get or make a pitch measurement tool and twist propeller spars near the hub with sturdy needle nose pliers to add pitch about 2 degrees at a time. As you have seen in earlier posts, typical pitch/diameter ratios to test range from 1.3-2.0.

Brian T
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

bjt4888 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:07 am

Cypher,

What kit are you using? Are the other specifications set to the kit recommended measurements. I am assuming that the 3/8” wing warp you are referring to is left wing washin.

If all other specs (CG, incidence, stabilizer tilt, rudder offset) are correct, the typical method to reduce climb rate is to increase propeller pitch. Get or make a pitch measurement tool and twist propeller spars near the hub with sturdy needle nose pliers to add pitch about 2 degrees at a time. As you have seen in earlier posts, typical pitch/diameter ratios to test range from 1.3-2.0.

Brian T

im using FF, I've used these kits for a lot of flying evetns so I'm pretty comfortable with everything that was being built, and so far CG and other offsets are looking good. I am talking about the left washin being 3/8". I am worried about the stabilizer leaning too much on one side but that is fixable because i used model cement to mount it.

is there anyway to share a video? Also should i consider changing the rubber size?
Last edited by CypherKat on February 3rd, 2023, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

CypherKat wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:29 am

Cypher,

Brian T

im using FF, I've used these kits for a lot of flying evetns so I'm pretty comfortable with everything that was being built, and so far CG and other offsets are looking good. I am talking about the left washin being 3/8". I am worried about the stabilizer leaning too much on one side but that is fixable because i used model cement to mount it.

is there anyway to share a video? Also should i consider changing the rubber size?
Cypher,

3/8” left wing washin is in the correct range for the FF kit. You can store the video in your Google drive and then make it public and share the link here. Yes, a video is a very good idea. And, yes, based on our testing with this kit, you could try thinner rubber. Also, as noted in previous posts, measure rubber in density as each width cut will vary in density as much as 8%. This variance will occur in consecutively cut motors from the same batch.

Thinner rubber and possibly 2-4 degrees more propeller pitch will dramatically reduce climb rate and flight time if other trim is within range.

Brian T
Last edited by bjt4888 on February 3rd, 2023, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

bjt4888 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 1:13 pm
CypherKat wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:29 am

Cypher,

Brian T

Cypher,

3/8” left wing washin is in the correct range for the FF kit. You can store the video in your Google drive and then make it public and share the link here. Yes, a video is a very good idea. And, yes, based on our testing with this kit, you could try thinner rubber. Also, as noted in previous posts, measure rubber in density as each width cut will vary in density as much as 8%. This variance will occur in consecutively cut motors from the same batch.

Thinner rubber and possibly 2-4 degrees. Ore propeller pitch will dramatically reduce climb rate and flight time if other trim is within range.

Brian T
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zyq1Vt ... p=drivesdk
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Watched video. Very tight circling with nose up sharply and very quick recovery from ceiling hits means you definitely have the CG too far forward. If you read all of my replies to Pumptatocat (her airplane videos looked the same as yours) you will see my recommendations to her for correcting the CG. The airplanes this year with the wide wing chord are very very sensitive to CG and it’s very hard to see the stalling or diving behavior. Basically, you’ll want to test glide the airplane without prop and motor (lump of ballast on prop hanger in place of prop). Read my instructions to Pumptatocat. Cat has messaged me that she’s getting great flights now.

Brian T
These users thanked the author bjt4888 for the post:
CypherKat (February 3rd, 2023, 6:53 pm)
poonda
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by poonda »

(division b, scratch build)
kind of a weird "issue" with trimming:

i'm flying with a slightly aft cg (1cm behind TE) and the plane is behaving pretty well except it starts climbing at literally 50 winds.
incidence and shimming are super conservative, glide looks good, 24cm ikara with 3/32 motor, 8.1g, and for some reason it climbs like 10 feet off a quick hand wind.

i was just wondering if this was happening to anyone else/if it wasn't optimal behavior?
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

poonda wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:43 am (division b, scratch build)
kind of a weird "issue" with trimming:

i'm flying with a slightly aft cg (1cm behind TE) and the plane is behaving pretty well except it starts climbing at literally 50 winds.
incidence and shimming are super conservative, glide looks good, 24cm ikara with 3/32 motor, 8.1g, and for some reason it climbs like 10 feet off a quick hand wind.

i was just wondering if this was happening to anyone else/if it wasn't optimal behavior?
If you could supply more information about your airplane, I could put your data in a neutral point calculator and answer your question thoroughly.

1. Wing width (chord)
2. Wing span
3. Stabilizer width
4. Stabilizer span
5. Wing weight
6. Propeller weight
7. Weight of fuselage/tail assembly (without propeller or wing)
8. Nose length (nose of motor stick to wing leading edge)
9. Distance from wing trailing edge to stabilizer leading edge

Very quick climb sounds like the CG is too far back (depends upon the info above though).

Brian T
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rV0VU2 ... p=drivesdk

Our performance at invitational today with a time of 1:46, any ways to cross 2 min or more

Return to “Flight B/C”