Flight B/C

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flight B/C

Post by bjt4888 »

randomdogonapc wrote: December 14th, 2022, 1:56 pm I’ve noticed that throughout this forum topic, there have been reference to a document with formulas relating to the motor turns and torque, as well as a video on winding. I can’t seem to find them, can someone help me? Also, is the optimal length of the motor one of those things that you have to test in increments, or is it something that is calculated? Thanks in advance for the responses.
Random,

Formula and video of me winding a helicopter motor that is similar to motors for Flight is in the 4th post of this thread.

Good job working on the details of the event.

Brian T
These users thanked the author bjt4888 for the post (total 2):
randomdogonapc (December 15th, 2022, 3:21 am) • drcubbin (December 23rd, 2022, 9:08 am)
bjt4888

Re: need help

Post by bjt4888 »

Sorrow2 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 1:47 pm I'm new to flight can someone give me a good kit for flight???
Sorrow,

There is good discussion of kits on the first few pages of this thread.

Brian T
These users thanked the author bjt4888 for the post:
drcubbin (December 23rd, 2022, 9:09 am)
Sorrow2
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: need help

Post by Sorrow2 »

bjt4888 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 2:00 pm
Sorrow2 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 1:47 pm I'm new to flight can someone give me a good kit for flight???
Sorrow,

There is good discussion of kits on the first few pages of this thread.

Brian T
Thanks! ill look into that
These users thanked the author Sorrow2 for the post:
drcubbin (December 23rd, 2022, 9:11 am)
I wake up. its only me. I look at my reflection, its only me. I've only woke up to me and only me. no one with me.
its fine. perfectly fine.
randomdogonapc
State: OH

Post by randomdogonapc »

Can’t believe that I missed those links. Thanks for the guidance. Also, in my kit I’ve received a slightly warped(nothing too much) motorstick. Should I try to fix the warp, or just put up with it?
Last edited by randomdogonapc on December 14th, 2022, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just a random dog on a pc
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

randomdogonapc wrote: December 14th, 2022, 3:49 pm Can’t believe that I missed those links. Thanks for the guidance. Also, in my kit I’ve received a slightly warped(nothing too much) motorstick. Should I try to fix the warp, or just put up with it?
Random,

Small warps in the motor stick are not a big issue. If the warp is up and down then it’s best if it curves up as RBI’s will just add a tiny amount of negative stabilizer incidence, which is useful. If the warp is side to side, then orient the warp to encourage left turn, then you’ll be able to use less left rudder setting.

Selecting orientation of warp direction is a challenge with the Freedom Flight kit (if this is what you’re building) as the small grooves cut in the nose of the stick require the stick to be oriented in a particular direction.

Brian T
These users thanked the author bjt4888 for the post (total 2):
randomdogonapc (December 15th, 2022, 3:21 am) • drcubbin (December 23rd, 2022, 9:11 am)
randomdogonapc
State: OH

Post by randomdogonapc »

Ok, thanks!
just a random dog on a pc
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

My FF kit came with a slightly warped motorstick too, but I just bent it into a better position after breathing on it. It seemed to work, but if you try this I'd be very careful...
These users thanked the author pumptato-cat for the post:
drcubbin (December 23rd, 2022, 9:23 am)
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

pumptato-cat wrote: December 15th, 2022, 6:43 am My FF kit came with a slightly warped motorstick too, but I just bent it into a better position after breathing on it. It seemed to work, but if you try this I'd be very careful...
Cat,

Good solution to unbend the stick.

Brian T
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

I'm back with more questions!
1) How can I make climb speed more gradual?
2) How can I make the plane lose less altitude after a collision?(It is currently dropping by anywhere from 4-15ft after a crash with something)
3) On a good plane, should the circle be shifting at all?
For 2), I know that I can move CG forward, but I've added so much weight on the nose that I don't dare add more. Moving the wing around does not seem to help, either, and everything else is set at kit recommendation.
Thanks! :)
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

pumptato-cat wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm I'm back with more questions!
1) How can I make climb speed more gradual?
2) How can I make the plane lose less altitude after a collision?(It is currently dropping by anywhere from 4-15ft after a crash with something)
3) On a good plane, should the circle be shifting at all?
For 2), I know that I can move CG forward, but I've added so much weight on the nose that I don't dare add more. Moving the wing around does not seem to help, either, and everything else is set at kit recommendation.
Thanks! :)
Cat,

1. The first way we usually try to reduce climb rate is to slightly increase propeller pitch (maybe 2 degrees more). This will probably reduce climb rate, but you’ll likely need slightly more rubber density. For example, if you’re using .062 g/in you may have to move up to .064 g/in. Also, you’ll want to watch the last portion of the flight to see that the increased pitch doesn’t make this part of the flight worse. Overall flight time is the final arbiter.
2. Moving CG back and increasing decalage is the typical method to improve collision recovery. However, the wide wing short fuselage airplanes this year’s rules give you (typical for most of the competitive airplanes) a marginally stable configuration. We’re sticking with the rearward CG, light in the nose look, just short of a stall, as it gives significantly better duration. No ceiling hits allowed. Lots of practice to be sure we know what torque and turn and rubber density values we need for every ceiling height.
3. Circle shifting is normal and occurs as there is almost always a little “drift” in even the calmest air gyms. Too many doors leaking a little air around the edges.

Keep up with the good questions

Brian T

Return to “Flight B/C”