bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

It's About Time C

Post by bernard »

Last edited by bernard on September 5th, 2022, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
scalland
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's About Time C

Post by scalland »

Can the device be a chemical reaction? It doesn't explicitly say that is forbidden in the rule book but it says on the SciOly page that you are not allowed to.
Danre98

Post by Danre98 »

Ouch, this event has changed quite a bit: the device needs to emit a consistent signal three times at randomly chosen intervals between 10-30s at regionals (up to 60 at nationals) for two trials instead of one signal after 300s (at most). I had a quite accurate hourglass-esque device that is now worthless and I need to start over for this year.
Weavy
State: MI

Post by Weavy »

Id love for some ideas in which yall were going to do the three signals thing. Was brainstorming with my class and we were struggling. I mentioned maybe a balancing bird type of idea with a water based device, but wasnt sure how well that would work. Glad I wasnt the only one stumped by this. I see mention of a pendulum, but what would be the signal in that case? Would the pendulum hit some sort of bell or something? Thanks for the help!
Tall

Post by Tall »

Weavy wrote: January 17th, 2023, 6:05 pm Id love for some ideas in which yall were going to do the three signals thing. Was brainstorming with my class and we were struggling. I mentioned maybe a balancing bird type of idea with a water based device, but wasnt sure how well that would work. Glad I wasnt the only one stumped by this. I see mention of a pendulum, but what would be the signal in that case? Would the pendulum hit some sort of bell or something? Thanks for the help!
Glad you brought this up. I don't have a clue on how to implement three signals for a Sand Clock. There is not enough information in the rules document. Any insight would really help.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

How about this:

The sand falls into the pan of a balance. When the weight of the sand exceeds the weight, the pan falls down, which does two things:
1. Dings a bell (your signal)
2. Hits a lever that releases a mass to fall into the pan on the other side of the balance.

Repeat...
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
Tall (January 31st, 2023, 5:32 pm)
Danre98

Post by Danre98 »

A month ago, Virginia Science Olympiad made a good video where they discuss the event.
Tall

Post by Tall »

knightmoves wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:20 pm How about this:

The sand falls into the pan of a balance. When the weight of the sand exceeds the weight, the pan falls down, which does two things:
1. Dings a bell (your signal)
2. Hits a lever that releases a mass to fall into the pan on the other side of the balance.

Repeat...
Thank you.
SOcoachB

Post by SOcoachB »

How are people interpreting the phrase "commercial counter" in the construction parameters?

Return to “It's About Time C”