Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Forestry B/C

Post by bernard »

Question Marathons Explained

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sc95837
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by sc95837 »

Try to ID this thing!
isotelus
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by isotelus »

sc95837 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 1:27 pm Try to ID this thing!
shortleaf pine I give one now, correct ? Here:
SLHS '23
sc95837

Post by sc95837 »

Incorrect,
leaves are too short
For yours,
it has pegs, so it's definitely a spruce. Cones are pretty long and have a "normal" shape, so probably not Black Spruce. For some reason I don't think it's white spruce (prob color vibes), so I'll guess [spoiler]Red Spruce![/spoiler] 
Is that correct?
Here's another one!
isotelus

Post by isotelus »

sc95837 wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:34 am Incorrect,
leaves are too short
For yours,
it has pegs, so it's definitely a spruce. Cones are pretty long and have a "normal" shape, so probably not Black Spruce. For some reason I don't think it's white spruce (prob color vibes), so I'll guess [spoiler]Red Spruce![/spoiler] 
Is that correct?
Here's another one!
Oh jeez, is it knobcone ? I wasn't paying enough attention to the cone shape I guess. As for your answer: Correct! For the new one: Singleleaf pinyon? I was also thinking blue spruce as a secondary guess but it doesn't seem right due to the needle shape. New picture from me:
SLHS '23
sc95837

Post by sc95837 »

Singleleaf Pinyon is correct! There's the residual from the detached needles Knobcone Pine is not; there's 2 needles per bundle For yours,
theres 5 needles per bundle, so it's definitely one of the "white pine" sp. (either eastern, western, sugar, whitebark, limber) I'm googling their pollen cone shapes because idk. Okay; can't be whitebark or limber; whitebark pollen cones are red, and limer pollen cones are sometimes orangey (it could be them but idk; the images i see have lots of variation). Sugar pine ones look more oblong (but that might just be different maturity in pictures). I want to say eastern white pine, but idk tbh
Here's a picture from me! (sorry im not 100% sure if this one's IDable but try your best!)
isotelus

Post by isotelus »

sc95837 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 12:03 pm Singleleaf Pinyon is correct! There's the residual from the detached needles Knobcone Pine is not; there's 2 needles per bundle For yours,
theres 5 needles per bundle, so it's definitely one of the "white pine" sp. (either eastern, western, sugar, whitebark, limber) I'm googling their pollen cone shapes because idk. Okay; can't be whitebark or limber; whitebark pollen cones are red, and limer pollen cones are sometimes orangey (it could be them but idk; the images i see have lots of variation). Sugar pine ones look more oblong (but that might just be different maturity in pictures). I want to say eastern white pine, but idk tbh
Here's a picture from me! (sorry im not 100% sure if this one's IDable but try your best!)
In that case... Virginia? The needle count per bundle and cone shape seem to match. For your second answer, unfortunately eastern isn't correct. You might want to check if the options you've been considering include everything possible... ;) For this new one... it's difficult - I was deliberating between loblolly, red, and ponderosa, since I'm having trouble seeing the needle count, and decided on ponderosa. This image might not be easy, but:
Last edited by isotelus on December 23rd, 2022, 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SLHS '23
sc95837

Post by sc95837 »

would the previous one be bristlecone pine[\spoiler] then? The leaves look suspiciously close. For mine, Ponderosa Pine is correct.
For the previous one, Virginia pine is not correct.
For yours,
the area gives eastern vibes. IDK why. Maybe it's the grass??? or the pines??? idk,,, It's really conical and theres small needles coming from each part, so I want to say it's a fir or spruce. Black spruce's weird and Red spruce's usually less dense, so I don't think it'd be any of those two. It looks a wee bit whitish, so I'd guess white spruce???
Try this one!
isotelus

Post by isotelus »

sc95837 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:10 pm would the previous one be bristlecone pine[\spoiler] then? The leaves look suspiciously close. For mine, Ponderosa Pine is correct.
For the previous one, Virginia pine is not correct.
For yours,
the area gives eastern vibes. IDK why. Maybe it's the grass??? or the pines??? idk,,, It's really conical and theres small needles coming from each part, so I want to say it's a fir or spruce. Black spruce's weird and Red spruce's usually less dense, so I don't think it'd be any of those two. It looks a wee bit whitish, so I'd guess white spruce???
Try this one!
Nice, bristlecone pine is correct.

Unfortunate about Virginia not being correct. Is it bristlecone then? White spruce isn't right, but your logic is on the right track. I haven't been practicing cypresses much... I'm going to guess western redcedar. Image
Another pine !
Last edited by isotelus on December 23rd, 2022, 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SLHS '23
sc95837

Post by sc95837 »

Bristlecone Pine is incorrect. Not that many needles/fascicles. Virginia Pine was really close though. Western RedCedar is incorrect but really close. Scale shape/position is slightly different in between the one in the pic and Western redCedar. If it's not White Spruce, then is it Blue Spruce? I'm pretty sure that gets planted everywhere, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were planted in a place which very much gives Eastern vibes. For your current one, I'm going to guess
whiteBark pine; purplish cones, the brown bundle seems to indicate 5 needles/bundle. 
Here's a next one! It's a street-view pano. Clicking on it should have you zoomed in to the plant in question. You can pan as much as you'd like!
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2907472 ... 384!8i8192

Return to “2023 Question Marathons”