Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: What happened to SciOly?

Post by pumptato-cat »

Definitely. HS is such a pain compared to MS. I just hated memorizing stuff in elementary school, which was another one of the reasons I didn't like science.
I'll never complain about another class I take again(complete lie actually, history exists), because the two weeks I spent memorizing the Krebs cycle in 7th grade were pure pain. SciOly concepts go deeper than school classes, and it definitely helps a lot with time management and studying/note taking.
I'm also the opposite, I suppose--I finally realized the forums were dead, like really dead. So I guess the addiction isn't as bad as it used to be. I'll sometimes go days without checking the forums, because there's just nothing going on here anymore.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I can't speak to what's happening "on the ground" anymore (by that I mean participation in competitions), but it really disturbs me watching the decline of traditional forums. Particularly the fact that so much information generated by online discussions is now being locked inside proprietary non-searchable platforms
These users thanked the author Schrodingerscat for the post (total 6):
pumptato-cat (February 19th, 2023, 9:35 pm) • LittleMissNyan (February 20th, 2023, 5:26 am) • gz839918 (February 25th, 2023, 8:16 pm) • jaspattack (March 3rd, 2023, 6:35 pm) • Unome (March 4th, 2023, 6:19 pm) • Things2do (March 31st, 2023, 1:00 am)
onshape
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

It feels like there's so much information here, but I'm new to the forums and have noticed that many of the posts I'm reading came from 2015 or so. Both of you bring up really good points!
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Yeah, for sure. The point of SciOly was never to coast off of what others have already accomplished. The amount of designs being reused(Balsa Engineer, Unphayzed) and the lack of new devices in build events are startling. Especially concerning is the realization that no good information has come to the forums in most events(Flight is still as helpful as ever, thanks to the coaches :)). I don't see any of the collaboration or the innovation that 2015-2016 was especially active with, and it seems like most people just read the forums or the wiki and don't contribute anything. Building off of this information from past seasons and finding new solutions is what SciOly's about--not copying the people who went before you.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Jehosaphat »

pumptato-cat wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:10 pm Yeah, for sure. The point of SciOly was never to coast off of what others have already accomplished. The amount of designs being reused(Balsa Engineer, Unphayzed) and the lack of new devices in build events are startling. Especially concerning is the realization that no good information has come to the forums in most events(Flight is still as helpful as ever, thanks to the coaches :)). I don't see any of the collaboration or the innovation that 2015-2016 was especially active with, and it seems like most people just read the forums or the wiki and don't contribute anything. Building off of this information from past seasons and finding new solutions is what SciOly's about--not copying the people who went before you.
If you guys didn't see the massive discussion on the discord about this in the alumni channel, you should give it a look.
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26

Return to “General Chat”