Starting a Scioly Team as a Student (kind of)

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Starting a Scioly Team as a Student (kind of)

Post by Umaroth »

foxinni wrote: March 21st, 2023, 8:38 pm
randomdogonapc wrote: March 21st, 2023, 6:37 pm Sometime at the end of a Codebusters test we just know that we don’t have enough time to solve anything else so we just draw things relating to the quotes. Like once there was a hint saying that it was from the Lion King so we just drew Scar and Mufasa. Normally I just bring like 72 sharpened pencils just in case tho.
:") That's codebusters in a nutshell! Honestly, I really wanna meet the people who win the event- they must be absolutely insane at decoding cryptograms.
I'd like to say that I was always bad at cryptograms.org so if I can do well there's hope for everyone LOL just gotta practice a lot
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post:
foxinni (March 24th, 2023, 3:05 pm)
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

I'm the reverse of Umaroth. I'd say I'm pretty good at cryptograms(I'm turnip-head for reference, you might see me on the leaderboard monthly for solve time ;)) but I'm absolutely awful in competition. So there ya go!
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
baburao6560
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by baburao6560 »

and while this is a little late, i was wondering if anyone here had tips for not only starting a team, but also keeping it running- next year, i'm actually leaving the school (going to high school) and as i'm kind of the glue holding the team together, i hoping that i could get a few tips from other students who might undertook similar endeavors.
clotspond
Division: B
State: ME
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by clotspond »

I'm not sure how your team does it, but some Div B teams have captains, or a student leader of sorts. If that's how your team is run, maybe have a voting/application process? I don't think most teams do this, though. Stock Market Courses Hubspot agency
Last edited by clotspond on August 15th, 2023, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Interest (in anything, including science olympiad) tends to come and go with each school year. If you've got a big school with a big scioly club, it's easier to ride out the normal statistical variations. If you've got a small school, and have problem fielding a full team in a normal year, then it's easy to be left with a scant handful of interested people on a downswing.

My tips - it might be worth making a video pitch aimed at younger students at your school. Show video of builds being tested, because they look cool. A room full of people taking a test will never look exciting. Show video of your team celebrating a victory, or having a pizza party, or goofing off on the bus. You want to send the message "come do science olympiad - you get to do fun things, win prizes, and spend time with nice people." Then get your school's science teachers to show it in science classes.

Assuming you are nice people, of course. If you're not nice people, you could start by working on that ;)

Return to “General Competition”