Starting a Scioly Team as a Student (kind of)

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Starting a Scioly Team as a Student (kind of)

Post by pumptato-cat »

foxinni wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:29 pm if u dont mind me asking, what school + district + state scioly do u do?
Sorry, not saying on a public forum... I'll probably wait until I graduate(Still a couple years to go)!
Congrats on regionals!! That's great-especially in CA and for your first tournament... Sounds like a hard state from what I hear. I'm glad my pfp helped :D
onshape wrote: March 12th, 2023, 6:27 am Was your regional competition virtual? My team couldn't even get WIDI figured out, so if it was, congratulations! And I didn't know it was possible to do a build so quickly!! (:
I don't know if this question is directed at me... but nope. It was in-person and very, um, interesting!
Hey, I'm not complaining-I hate virtual competitions. But oh lord that was an experience.
EDIT: Wait it's actually very obvious. Never mind. Oh well I'll keep my response up anyways-
Last edited by pumptato-cat on March 12th, 2023, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
onshape
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

For clarification, I actually quite liked the virtual test day considering we had an in person build/lab day, but somehow, WIDI ended up in the test day which was super confusing.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
foxinni
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by foxinni »

onshape wrote: March 12th, 2023, 6:27 am Was your regional competition virtual? My team couldn't even get WIDI figured out, so if it was, congratulations! And I didn't know it was possible to do a build so quickly!! (:

I don't know if the question is directed at me, but Charlottesville High School / Charlottesville Regional / Virginia.
Nah, our regionals were in-person, thankfully :") I really doubt we'd have been able to do anything successful online h a h
And I mean even if the question technically wasn't directed at you, I don't mind meeting new people too lolol
You're a high schooler, then? (gasp)(so old)(even though i'm almost a high schooler)(i still feel like a 5th grader)(it's been like 4 years since 5th grade)(what)
What events do you do / what events are your favorites? :D
"I feel like the possibility of all those possibilities being possible, is just another possibility that could possibly happen." -- Mark Lee
foxinni

Post by foxinni »

onshape wrote: March 12th, 2023, 8:43 am For clarification, I actually quite liked the virtual test day considering we had an in person build/lab day, but somehow, WIDI ended up in the test day which was super confusing.
Ohh that's pretty nice- so you had like, two separate days of competing?
"I feel like the possibility of all those possibilities being possible, is just another possibility that could possibly happen." -- Mark Lee
foxinni

Post by foxinni »

pumptato-cat wrote: March 12th, 2023, 8:01 am Sorry, not saying on a public forum... I'll probably wait until I graduate(Still a couple years to go)!
Congrats on regionals!! That's great-especially in CA and for your first tournament... Sounds like a hard state from what I hear. I'm glad my pfp helped :D

I don't know if this question is directed at me... but nope. It was in-person and very, um, interesting!
Hey, I'm not complaining-I hate virtual competitions. But oh lord that was an experience.
EDIT: Wait it's actually very obvious. Never mind. Oh well I'll keep my response up anyways-
oh don't worry about it- sorry for prying :"))
thank you so much! and h a h yeah uhh some schools here have full on classes IN ScHOOL, that they test into, and then have to grade well in, to even get on the scioly team..

And :?: INtErEsTING? Sounds.. fun..? 😆
onshape

Post by onshape »

foxinni wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:04 am Nah, our regionals were in-person, thankfully :") I really doubt we'd have been able to do anything successful online h a h
And I mean even if the question technically wasn't directed at you, I don't mind meeting new people too lolol
You're a high schooler, then? (gasp)(so old)(even though i'm almost a high schooler)(i still feel like a 5th grader)(it's been like 4 years since 5th grade)(what)
What events do you do / what events are your favorites? :D
Yeah, nice to meet you I suppose!
I still don't feel like a high schooler, even though I apparently go to a high school. I'm a freshman (one of the youngest in my grade, so not such a big difference). I don't think anyone feels like the age they are ;).
I like Forestry, but that's a personal preference. As for the builds, I prefer Bridge. Don't ask me about labs, I hate those!
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
onshape

Post by onshape »

foxinni wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:05 am Ohh that's pretty nice- so you had like, two separate days of competing?
Yep, basically like that, but WIDI ended up on the test day which was annoying because there was a weird format that ended up getting us participation points only, which was sad considering we put in like 5 hours of practice ( a lot for our team lol) and legitimately did it after we knew what to do. (sorry for ranting about that though)
foxinni

Post by foxinni »

onshape wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:54 am Yeah, nice to meet you I suppose!
I still don't feel like a high schooler, even though I apparently go to a high school. I'm a freshman (one of the youngest in my grade, so not such a big difference). I don't think anyone feels like the age they are ;).
I like Forestry, but that's a personal preference. As for the builds, I prefer Bridge. Don't ask me about labs, I hate those!
Yep, I think that's one of those time old things- no one ever feels how old they are lol.
While I don't personally do Forestry, my teammates who did it this year were kinda lost- they took tons of notes, only to go to the competition and find everyone had "sibley guide to trees" during the test, and so then they ended up getting last place (a 0 on the test) !!! it was really sad, especially since they put a lot of time into studying :(
So out of curiosity, do you have any tips for succeeding in Forestry?

Also the whole shenanigan with WIDI sounds really unfortunate :/ Getting low points in an event that you practiced for, solely because of the wonky formatting, is just >:(
But hey, at least now for next time, you know how to handle it online?? :")
onshape

Post by onshape »

foxinni wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:22 am Yep, I think that's one of those time old things- no one ever feels how old they are lol.
While I don't personally do Forestry, my teammates who did it this year were kinda lost- they took tons of notes, only to go to the competition and find everyone had "sibley guide to trees" during the test, and so then they ended up getting last place (a 0 on the test) !!! it was really sad, especially since they put a lot of time into studying :(
So out of curiosity, do you have any tips for succeeding in Forestry?

Also the whole shenanigan with WIDI sounds really unfortunate :/ Getting low points in an event that you practiced for, solely because of the wonky formatting, is just >:(
But hey, at least now for next time, you know how to handle it online?? :")
Great way to think about WIDI!

As for Forestry, we weren't using the Sibley guide to trees. We used Audubon, which ended up working really well! I would say that the main part of it is identification. Make sure you have a field guide, though! (Same thing for Rocks and Minerals, which will be Fossils next year.)

So if you don't know the trees well, you're prone to failing miserably on the tests because all of the questions are based off of what kind of tree it is.

For example, here's how a cluster might work (Taken from MIT Invitational):

1: Identify specimens with their common and scientific name. (No need to memorize both, just memorize what name is easier for you and you can convert using the index of the field guide.)
2: Name two human health issues that this tree is known to be a remedy for. (I like to use Wikipedia for notes, so this should be found in the Wikipedia page if that knowledge is present.)
3: What did early myths suggest the branches of specimen A could do? (This could be in the In Popular Culture section, or for this case, in "Folk Medicine." Like I said, Wikipedia works for me, but make sure you get answers from every category.)
4: What is the range of months in which the flowers are in bloom? (Can usually be found in "Cultivation.")

You get the idea: they also ask about ecology and ecological succession, along with these typical plant behaviors and uses.

Also, around 30% of the test is general parts of a tree such as types of leaves, tree structure, photosynthesis, etc. So feel prepared for that (the scioly wiki can help.)

Here are some links:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... rHrfY5xPfr (Practice Test)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hazel (Example of a Wikipedia tree page, but feel free to use any resource!)
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Forestry (General tree info)

Of course, you're in California, so competition might be harder! But good luck! Also message me if you have any other questions.

(Sorry for the long response. I got carried away and Forestry is the one event I can talk forever on.)
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

foxinni wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:17 am oh don't worry about it- sorry for prying :"))
thank you so much! and h a h yeah uhh some schools here have full on classes IN ScHOOL, that they test into, and then have to grade well in, to even get on the scioly team..

And :?: INtErEsTING? Sounds.. fun..? 😆
Don't worry about it! I don't mind.
Yeah, CA is hard. I'm glad my state isn't as cutthroat.. but then again, competition gets boring sometimes.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough

Return to “General Competition”