Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Gravity Vehicle C

Gravity Vehicle Wiki
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Danny Smith
Division: C
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Danny Smith »

It seems like there are two ideas about gravity vehicle going around. One idea was that the car would be propelled by a falling mass, presumably pulling a string to turn the wheels. But other sources say like an eggless scrambler. From my kowledge of scramblers, they were pushed by a swinging mass of some kind, but then just coasted. So which is more accurate? Does the power source travel with the car? Just so I can begin to conceptualize some plans.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

Danny Smith wrote:It seems like there are two ideas about gravity vehicle going around. One idea was that the car would be propelled by a falling mass, presumably pulling a string to turn the wheels. But other sources say like an eggless scrambler. From my kowledge of scramblers, they were pushed by a swinging mass of some kind, but then just coasted. So which is more accurate? Does the power source travel with the car? Just so I can begin to conceptualize some plans.
The second one is closer, but still not quite there. It will be a vehicle travelling down a ramp, propelled solely by its own mass.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Danny Smith
State: OH

Post by Danny Smith »

chalker7 wrote: The second one is closer, but still not quite there. It will be a vehicle travelling down a ramp, propelled solely by its own mass.
Will we be building the ramp, or will we just build the cars that roll down a standard ramp for everyone? This isnt what i expected.
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

Danny Smith wrote:
chalker7 wrote: The second one is closer, but still not quite there. It will be a vehicle travelling down a ramp, propelled solely by its own mass.
Will we be building the ramp, or will we just build the cars that roll down a standard ramp for everyone? This isnt what i expected.
You build everything.
Hawaii State Director
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

awww man. come on chalker, I expected to build some crazy-complex thing that uses a falling mass that is mounted on the vehicle with like 29 pulleys....
way to rain on my parade =P

So a ramp huh? is it steep? will there be a set pitch for the surface?
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

illusionist wrote:awww man. come on chalker, I expected to build some crazy-complex thing that uses a falling mass that is mounted on the vehicle with like 29 pulleys....
way to rain on my parade =P

So a ramp huh? is it steep? will there be a set pitch for the surface?
There are maximum external dimensions, but beyond that it's up to your own design.
Hawaii State Director
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

woohoo! no limits. I like it
hmcginny
State: PA

Post by hmcginny »

any hints on what the scoring will be like? is it just hitting a point as quickly and accurately as possible?
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Can we all just wait for the rules to come out?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2012 Build Events”