Awesome Aquifers B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Awesome Aquifers B

Postby Jim_R » July 2nd, 2011, 8:01 pm

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

mnstrviola
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: CA

Re: Awesome Aquifers B

Postby mnstrviola » August 28th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Fossil Freak 25
Division: C
State: WA

Postby Fossil Freak 25 » September 8th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Thanks! ill look at them :)
Go Cougs!

mnstrviola
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby mnstrviola » October 10th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Glancing at the 2012 rules, it has not really changed much. In fact, did anyone even notice anything different?

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » October 11th, 2011, 7:25 am

Glancing at the 2012 rules, it has not really changed much. In fact, did anyone even notice anything different?
3.1 liter max container size up from 3.0 liter to make the Gladware 3.1 l food storage container legal.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

TYG
State: NY

Postby TYG » October 11th, 2011, 3:05 pm

I believe they added something about not being able to use hazardous and dangerous chemicals, since it's in bold

The Architect
State: VT

Postby The Architect » October 22nd, 2011, 2:53 pm

I believe they added something about not being able to use hazardous and dangerous chemicals, since it's in bold
Oh yeah, that. :lol: I remember at Nationals last year while doing the presentation I heard from the judge for the group next to us ask the team, "Don't you know that that is highly flammable?!" I wonder why they added that rule then.
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » October 22nd, 2011, 5:04 pm

At NATIONALS? That's ridiculous. Why can't people just stick to the simplest contaminants that are neither harmful nor edible?

etibbetts
State: KS

Postby etibbetts » October 25th, 2011, 5:34 am

How do you study? Any suggestions? Ive been using note cards.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » October 25th, 2011, 5:42 am

For the groundwater terms, notecards are good. However, you'd need a pretty big stack eventually. The list they give seems like a lot but isn't enough; some terms you will wanna get from the Groundwater Glossary and maybe some other outside research.

After you know those pretty well, work on your explanations and demonstrations of said terms since that's where half of your points will come from, after all.

TYG

Postby TYG » October 25th, 2011, 2:48 pm

How do you study? Any suggestions? Ive been using note cards.
There are also quite a few vocabulary sets on quizlet. Just search up "Awesome Aquifers" or something of the sort.

mnstrviola
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby mnstrviola » October 25th, 2011, 7:19 pm

A link to vocabulary terms can be found at the bottom of the Awesome Aquifers wiki page.

http://www.groundwater.org/gi/gwglossary.html
best glossary to study from IMO

etibbetts
State: KS

Postby etibbetts » November 1st, 2011, 5:29 am

I got the words and definition at groundwater.org. when I built the aquifer for a test it did not work to well. I got a video from groundwater.org. My coach has a video as well for me to look at but i have not yet looked at it.

NO EXPERIANCE

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » November 1st, 2011, 8:00 am

No experience is no excuse; you can medal no problem in this or any other event. Watch the video, construct your aquifer (which I think you did), and tell us specifically why it didn't work well. I can't help you unless I know exactly what the problem is.

FueL

Postby FueL » November 1st, 2011, 11:18 am

I got the words and definition at groundwater.org. when I built the aquifer for a test it did not work to well.
Ah yes, don't worry about that. When my partner and I built our first aquifer, it was a disaster even though we knew theoretically what we had to do. It takes a couple of tries to get it right, but you'll learn what not to do/good materials to use/etc. very quickly.

It just takes practice and a lot of trial and error. I suggest copying an online aquifer model to start off with, because you'll be able to make modifications off of it to tailor to your specific needs and the demonstration requirements.

P.S. Don't use sand! It gets really messy, really fast. Gravel is much better.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”