Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Gravity Vehicle C.

Gravity Vehicle Wiki
2012 Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by iwonder »

Any guesses now that the rules are out? Lower ramp height, circular motion, or variable ramp height were discussed last year, I believe trying for a certain time in the run was also? I should probably wait... but I'm really impatient :D
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by fishman100 »

iwonder wrote:Any guesses now that the rules are out? Lower ramp height, circular motion, or variable ramp height were discussed last year, I believe trying for a certain time in the run was also? I should probably wait... but I'm really impatient :D
If I had to guess the changes from the discussion in last year's thread, I'd say lateral movement of the target point and/or a target time are the changes this year. Not to mention that the specs for the vehicle/ramp probably changed too...
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

I hope there aren't any big changes to the ramp... I'd love to not have to build a new ramp...
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

Personally, I think a target time combined with the target point would make this event really, really interesting. Imagine, having to make your vehicle travel for a certain amount of time which is anounced at the competition: Adjustable ramp heights!
Teal
Division: C
State: WA

Post by Teal »

I'm actually looking forward to building a new ramp... here's hoping!
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

The annoying part about the ramp is the release mechanism... Our first two ES's had different interpretations of the rules... Just out of curiosity, what's everyone else been doing for a release mechanism? We just mounted an exacto knife to the ramp and tie the vehicle up with a string :D
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

Our event supervisors from regionals, whom I have no complaint about, told us that the best thing to do as of last year's rule would be something like having a mousetrap which when triggered pulls out a pin which releases the vehicle. They said this kind of thing would fit the requirements of most Event Supervisors.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

twototwenty wrote:Our event supervisors from regionals, whom I have no complaint about, told us that the best thing to do as of last year's rule would be something like having a mousetrap which when triggered pulls out a pin which releases the vehicle. They said this kind of thing would fit the requirements of most Event Supervisors.
As one of the rules writers, one of our largest struggles is predicting how various event supervisors around the country will interpret our wordings. We spend a huge number of hours debating various options to try and make things as clear as possible, but of course every year there are always issues. One of the best things you all can do for us is let us know about curious or "alternative" interpretations of the rules at the various competitions around the country so we can more clearly understand how exactly everyone is interpreting the rules and so we can improve next year.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

chalker7 wrote:One of the best things you all can do for us is let us know about curious or "alternative" interpretations of the rules at the various competitions around the country so we can more clearly understand how exactly everyone is interpreting the rules and so we can improve next year.
How is the best way that the average person can do this. I am not aware of any site until after a competition and that goes to the state, not the national rule writers. Except for the 1% that go to the nationals.

Return to “2013 Build Events”