Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Your Screenname

Post by BennyTheJett »

I would say that just MoMoney would definitely be easier to type out, but it's definitely your call.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 7th, 2020, 11:14 am You know I'm curious if I can get one of the Administrators to change my screen name, since I did all the money signs and the smiley face as a joke, but it's kind of long to type out know, and it just kind of looks weird. Any suggestions.
When I got my username changed, I just told the admins that I couldn’t simultaneously access the wiki and be logged into the forums because of the new updates and the brackets in my name so they changed it for me (thanks bernard!). It’s pretty easy to get it changed if you have a legitimate reason, although idk if “the username I originally chose is too long for me to type” counts lol
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

pb5754 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 12:10 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 7th, 2020, 11:14 am You know I'm curious if I can get one of the Administrators to change my screen name, since I did all the money signs and the smiley face as a joke, but it's kind of long to type out know, and it just kind of looks weird. Any suggestions.
When I got my username changed, I just told the admins that I couldn’t simultaneously access the wiki and be logged into the forums because of the new updates and the brackets in my name so they changed it for me (thanks bernard!). It’s pretty easy to get it changed if you have a legitimate reason, although idk if “the username I originally chose is too long for me to type” counts lol
Our current policy is, "We only change usernames when a username prevents login to the Wiki (usually by inclusion of special characters such as an underscore), when a username includes identifying details (e.g. an identifiable first and last name, a recognizable SSN) beyond common identifiers, or when required by law."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

bernard wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Our current policy is, "We only change usernames when a username prevents login to the Wiki (usually by inclusion of special characters such as an underscore), when a username includes identifying details (e.g. an identifiable first and last name, a recognizable SSN) beyond common identifiers, or when required by law."
Do you think it'd be a possibility in the future to allow users to change their own usernames, or is that not possible given the way the data of the website works?

pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

bernard wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Just curious... has anyone ever actually used their SSN as a username lol
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I hope not. Don't think Bernard can disclose yes or no however.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

pb5754 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 2:03 pm Just curious... has anyone ever actually used their SSN as a username lol
I don't know of it happening. It's included primarily as an example for the type of personal/private information a reasonable person would recognize.
BennyTheJett wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:22 pm Do you think it'd be a possibility in the future to allow users to change their own usernames, or is that not possible given the way the data of the website works?
The software for the Forums (phpBB3) allows username changes, but it doesn't work well with the site. Login to the Wiki (MediaWiki) uses your username, so you could end up with multiple accounts (but if your username prevents signing into the Wiki, you won't already have a Wiki account and avoid this problem, like in pb5754's situation).

Quotations also aren't updated after username changes, so posts quoting old posts will display the old username while your original post will have the new updated username.

Some custom applications for Scioly.org (such as scioly.org/summer and scioly.org/fantasy) use usernames for access or record keeping, and username changes wouldn't propagate to these applications. Any new applications moving forward will hopefully reference user ID instead of username.

Lastly, the usernames active users have used for some time built some reputation or recognition. For example, users have grown to appreciate you as BennyTheJett, and if your username changed to BTJ, it might be confusing.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
MadCow2357 (April 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm) • sneepity (April 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sneepity
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

mine is just what I use to sign my art and it is a name for a crab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7VJl76i9U
B)
yoshiketchup
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by yoshiketchup »

my screenname is just pretty similar to my irl name lol
Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Booknerd »

When I was in like 3rd/4th grade, I was a book fanatic. No joke I would come home from school everyday, jump onto my couch, and sit for like 2-3 hours and finish a 200-300 page book. Every day. I was also a total nerd in my class (still am) and so I thought, why not booknerd? Its also the username I used for a couple of other things (but not everything. So don't assume every booknerd out there is me). Nowadays I'm not as much book-crazy, but the name stuck and I like it.

And TCS, why Chi-town when you live outside of chi-town? Isn't CLC by like Grayslake? I thought that's like 1-2 hours away?
We don't talk about Pentathlon.

Return to “General Chat”