Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

appleguru98
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: June 19th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Division: C
State: GA

Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby appleguru98 » June 19th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a member of the Science Olympiad team at Kennesaw Mountain High School in Kennesaw, GA. I have been emailing with my coach the past week and we might host an invitational sometime this coming year. I have not noticed a lot of invitationals in GA so far, so I think it would be go to start one. We are the Metro Atlanta area, so there are most likely tons of teams that would be able to drive. KMHS is also a Magnet school, specializing in Math, Science, and Technology, so I would think some of the students would definitely help with this event. I was wondering if anyone would actually want for us to host one and if you would, respond on this thread. And I was wondering if some people could give us pointers on how to minimize costs of this event. And remember: This is not a definite invitational, so don't plan on there being anything. Thanks a lot everyone!
Kennesaw Mountain High School, Junior
2013 Regional: 5th Rocks and Minerals, 12th Designer Genes
2014 Regional: 7th Rocks and Minerals, 12th MagLev, 5th Materials Science
2015 Regional State: 4th Air Trajectory, 4th Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Wright Stuff

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 586
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby rfscoach » June 20th, 2013, 9:36 am

appleguru98 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm a member of the Science Olympiad team at Kennesaw Mountain High School in Kennesaw, GA. I have been emailing with my coach the past week and we might host an invitational sometime this coming year. I have not noticed a lot of invitationals in GA so far, so I think it would be go to start one. We are the Metro Atlanta area, so there are most likely tons of teams that would be able to drive. KMHS is also a Magnet school, specializing in Math, Science, and Technology, so I would think some of the students would definitely help with this event. I was wondering if anyone would actually want for us to host one and if you would, respond on this thread. And I was wondering if some people could give us pointers on how to minimize costs of this event. And remember: This is not a definite invitational, so don't plan on there being anything. Thanks a lot everyone!


Are you thinking a Div C Invite or a Div B invite or both? I coach a B and a C team in North Fulton, both would be very interested in attending, depending on the month/day. Most invites charge a fee of $75 per team and you can also make more money/reduce expenses by selling concessions during the Invite. GASO will give your team a kick back for hosting an invite. Contact our state directors Lance Crimm at SPSU lancecrimm@gmail.com and Kelly Price KPrice@forsyth.k12.ga.us . They can help you and get this message out to all 2012-2013 Georgia C and B coaches. There are not a lot of us on SciOly...
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

appleguru98
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: June 19th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby appleguru98 » June 20th, 2013, 12:10 pm

rfscoach wrote: Are you thinking a Div C Invite or a Div B invite or both? I coach a B and a C team in North Fulton, both would be very interested in attending, depending on the month/day. Most invites charge a fee of $75 per team and you can also make more money/reduce expenses by selling concessions during the Invite. GASO will give your team a kick back for hosting an invite. Contact our state directors Lance Crimm at SPSU lancecrimm@gmail.com and Kelly Price KPrice@forsyth.k12.ga.us . They can help you and get this message out to all 2012-2013 Georgia C and B coaches. There are not a lot of us on SciOly...


We would start out with a Division C invite because those are the events everyone is familiar with. Thank you for the information to contact the state directors. Do you happen to know of any other invitationals in our area?
Kennesaw Mountain High School, Junior
2013 Regional: 5th Rocks and Minerals, 12th Designer Genes
2014 Regional: 7th Rocks and Minerals, 12th MagLev, 5th Materials Science
2015 Regional State: 4th Air Trajectory, 4th Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Wright Stuff

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby mrburrito » June 20th, 2013, 2:27 pm

appleguru98 wrote:
rfscoach wrote: Are you thinking a Div C Invite or a Div B invite or both? I coach a B and a C team in North Fulton, both would be very interested in attending, depending on the month/day. Most invites charge a fee of $75 per team and you can also make more money/reduce expenses by selling concessions during the Invite. GASO will give your team a kick back for hosting an invite. Contact our state directors Lance Crimm at SPSU lancecrimm@gmail.com and Kelly Price KPrice@forsyth.k12.ga.us . They can help you and get this message out to all 2012-2013 Georgia C and B coaches. There are not a lot of us on SciOly...


We would start out with a Division C invite because those are the events everyone is familiar with. Thank you for the information to contact the state directors. Do you happen to know of any other invitationals in our area?


I'm not sure if it's close to you, but the Booth invitational takes place in Georgia every year.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

User avatar
geminicross
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 9:34 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Look Behind You

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby geminicross » June 20th, 2013, 2:53 pm

The Brookwood Invitational would be the other one

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 586
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby rfscoach » June 20th, 2013, 6:44 pm

appleguru98 wrote:
rfscoach wrote: Are you thinking a Div C Invite or a Div B invite or both? I coach a B and a C team in North Fulton, both would be very interested in attending, depending on the month/day. Most invites charge a fee of $75 per team and you can also make more money/reduce expenses by selling concessions during the Invite. GASO will give your team a kick back for hosting an invite. Contact our state directors Lance Crimm at SPSU lancecrimm@gmail.com and Kelly Price KPrice@forsyth.k12.ga.us . They can help you and get this message out to all 2012-2013 Georgia C and B coaches. There are not a lot of us on SciOly...


We would start out with a Division C invite because those are the events everyone is familiar with. Thank you for the information to contact the state directors. Do you happen to know of any other invitationals in our area?


The JC Booth invite is Div B, held in late January, in Peachtree City, south of Atlanta
The current C invites are:
Div C Rockdale Magnet - usually held on the Nov SAT date (so my HS team does not go to that)
Div C Alpharetta HS Invite in Alpharetta Ga.- Usually mid Nov.
Div C Brookwood HS Invite in Snellville Ga. - Usually 1st weekend of January after school is back in session.
Old C invites that haven't happened for a few years - Westminster, Duluth

There is also a Combined B/C invite at Shades Valley HS in Irondale, Al in early December. It is a 2-4 hour drive for most Metro Atlanta teams. I know a few of the Gwinnett teams have gone to it. I keep thinking about it, but the leaving at 3:30 am keeps putting me off.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

appleguru98
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: June 19th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby appleguru98 » June 20th, 2013, 8:08 pm

rfscoach wrote:The JC Booth invite is Div B, held in late January, in Peachtree City, south of Atlanta
The current C invites are:
Div C Rockdale Magnet - usually held on the Nov SAT date (so my HS team does not go to that)
Div C Alpharetta HS Invite in Alpharetta Ga.- Usually mid Nov.
Div C Brookwood HS Invite in Snellville Ga. - Usually 1st weekend of January after school is back in session.
Old C invites that haven't happened for a few years - Westminster, Duluth

There is also a Combined B/C invite at Shades Valley HS in Irondale, Al in early December. It is a 2-4 hour drive for most Metro Atlanta teams. I know a few of the Gwinnett teams have gone to it. I keep thinking about it, but the leaving at 3:30 am keeps putting me off.


Its about a 2 and a half hour drive from my school, and I don't think our team would like to leave at 5:00 am. We left at 6:00 am last year for regionals down in Macon and our coach didn't like having to get up early for it.
Kennesaw Mountain High School, Junior
2013 Regional: 5th Rocks and Minerals, 12th Designer Genes
2014 Regional: 7th Rocks and Minerals, 12th MagLev, 5th Materials Science
2015 Regional State: 4th Air Trajectory, 4th Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Wright Stuff

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 586
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby rfscoach » June 21st, 2013, 3:08 pm

appleguru98 wrote:
rfscoach wrote:The JC Booth invite is Div B, held in late January, in Peachtree City, south of Atlanta
The current C invites are:
Div C Rockdale Magnet - usually held on the Nov SAT date (so my HS team does not go to that)
Div C Alpharetta HS Invite in Alpharetta Ga.- Usually mid Nov.
Div C Brookwood HS Invite in Snellville Ga. - Usually 1st weekend of January after school is back in session.
Old C invites that haven't happened for a few years - Westminster, Duluth

There is also a Combined B/C invite at Shades Valley HS in Irondale, Al in early December. It is a 2-4 hour drive for most Metro Atlanta teams. I know a few of the Gwinnett teams have gone to it. I keep thinking about it, but the leaving at 3:30 am keeps putting me off.


Its about a 2 and a half hour drive from my school, and I don't think our team would like to leave at 5:00 am. We left at 6:00 am last year for regionals down in Macon and our coach didn't like having to get up early for it.


Another option is to go there the night before. Adds to the cost and time commitment.....
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?

Re: Kennesaw Mountain Possible Invitational 2013-2014

Postby mrburrito » June 21st, 2013, 4:01 pm

rfscoach wrote:
appleguru98 wrote:
rfscoach wrote:The JC Booth invite is Div B, held in late January, in Peachtree City, south of Atlanta
The current C invites are:
Div C Rockdale Magnet - usually held on the Nov SAT date (so my HS team does not go to that)
Div C Alpharetta HS Invite in Alpharetta Ga.- Usually mid Nov.
Div C Brookwood HS Invite in Snellville Ga. - Usually 1st weekend of January after school is back in session.
Old C invites that haven't happened for a few years - Westminster, Duluth

There is also a Combined B/C invite at Shades Valley HS in Irondale, Al in early December. It is a 2-4 hour drive for most Metro Atlanta teams. I know a few of the Gwinnett teams have gone to it. I keep thinking about it, but the leaving at 3:30 am keeps putting me off.


Its about a 2 and a half hour drive from my school, and I don't think our team would like to leave at 5:00 am. We left at 6:00 am last year for regionals down in Macon and our coach didn't like having to get up early for it.


Another option is to go there the night before. Adds to the cost and time commitment.....


My team always does that. If you need to raise money, putting on a school dance or doing a pancake breakfast somewhere are good ideas.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito


Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests