Most Competitive Science Olympiad Event

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
onshape
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Re: Most Competitive Science Olympiad Event

Post by onshape »

Chem Lab ... we got last place at regionals from answering around 40% right at regionals (i think) (don't ask me how)
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
onshape

Post by onshape »

This thread feels one-ended now but I will not forget how our 90% correct (i think) ecology test yesterday got 14th place. That's my new vote.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

onshape wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 6:55 am This thread feels one-ended now but I will not forget how our 90% correct (i think) ecology test yesterday got 14th place. That's my new vote.
Oh dear. Your test was too easy.

This happens sometimes - I suspect it's when teachers who are new to science olympiad are event supervisors. If a teacher sets a class test, and most of the class gets 90%+, the teacher is happy. They've done a good job teaching the material, and the class has learned it. But a good SO test needs to be harder, to separate the scores across the board, but particularly at the top end.

I prefer it when the questions are more difficult, rather than more numerous. Some ES seem to like to set very long tests, and use "who can race through the most questions the fastest" as a separator. I'd rather have a shorter test with fiendish questions that is more a stretch of ability than speed.
onshape

Post by onshape »

And it gets worse. The team that shared a room with us came back from Ecology, saying "the only thing we didn't know was _____" (one single question near the end). They got 22nd in the event.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

onshape wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:21 am And it gets worse. The team that shared a room with us came back from Ecology, saying "the only thing we didn't know was _____" (one single question near the end). They got 22nd in the event.
...although your teammates might not be very good judges of what they actually knew. Back in Div B, I had a teammate who came back from a Solar System test after 15 minutes. "That was really easy. I knew everything, I checked it twice."

He got the scored test back, and got about 50%. As it turns out, many of the things he thought he "knew" were superficial and over-simplified.

If your teammates did actually place 22nd despite scoring N-1 marks, then I'd hate to be the person who has to tiebreak all the full-marks scoring tests...
TheBananzas
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheBananzas »

I think Codebusters is probably the most competitive because of how high of a skill cap there is. Like it's been an event for 7 years now (and it's possible for it to be permanent in the future) and still people are still getting better and better, all at similar paces.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

I stand by my statement that there is no hardest event. It all depends on your competition. Codebusters at a regionals tournament in, say, Alaska, would not be as competitive as another event in California.
Last edited by pumptato-cat on April 12th, 2024, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough

Return to “General Competition”