Most Competitive Science Olympiad Event

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
JoJoKeKe
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Most Competitive Science Olympiad Event

Post by JoJoKeKe »

While I don't believe it is the most competitive, Fossils is definitely an event where you have to know lots in depth to succeed. Having a general knowledge of all the areas typically seems to not get you very far in my experience over the past year. You have to know a great deal about all covered topics to succeed and medal.

Least competitive in my opinion this year was most likely Crave the Wave. However, since I wasn't in this event tell me if you think otherwise. It just appeared that no one wanted to participate in this event- at least at my school.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Electric Vehicle - placing scores are usually over 195/200 and can be fractional points between places.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JoJoKeKe wrote:While I don't believe it is the most competitive, Fossils is definitely an event where you have to know lots in depth to succeed. Having a general knowledge of all the areas typically seems to not get you very far in my experience over the past year. You have to know a great deal about all covered topics to succeed and medal.

Least competitive in my opinion this year was most likely Crave the Wave. However, since I wasn't in this event tell me if you think otherwise. It just appeared that no one wanted to participate in this event- at least at my school.
People want to participate...
but it's not competitive in nature.
Usually the tests aren't too in-depth.
coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

I'd say Heredity is the most competitive -- I competed in that event last year when we still hadn't really covered any genetics in school. Nearly everybody I competed against had some prior experience with the topic, and therefore knew more than I did at the time. Even then, once you start to grasp the topics, the event is a breeze. The only thing I really had trouble with was memorizing the names of the phases of Mitosis/Meiosis - they just don't stick with me well.
Fulgorid_weevil wrote:I'd have to say Anatomy though. 6 Candidates fought for a full blown month regarding who was going to coach. :/
Competitive in regards to wanting to coach... at our school, not really competitive with the students, though it was the most popular event. True story: after having classes with the chosen coach for a while, most people stopped caring about that event and gave up. Myself included (until state). It doesn't help that most of the people who did it didn't want to be there - it was more the fact that their parents are/were in the medical field.

Meteorology is also a pretty competitive topic - again, easy material and once you know it, everything comes naturally to you. From prior experience, I know that most of the scores for the events are only fractions of points apart. Usually it's the tiebreaker that can distinguish 1st place from 3rd or 4th.

I think the least competitive event I've ever been in was Solar System last year.. because it was fairly new and hardly anyone knew what would be on the test.
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

What do you guys think about the competitiveness of Ento?
I've found that nobody really wants to do it because they're either scared of bugs or bored by them.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SOnerd wrote:What do you guys think about the competitiveness of Ento?
I've found that nobody really wants to do it because they're either scared of bugs or bored by them.
In our school, no one really wanted to do Ento.
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
In ours, no one even wanted to coach it. It was so bad that our head coach ended up asking a freshman still competing in B division to do it, which appeared a bit awkward for the upperclassman on the event. (But screw that, lol.)
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

samlan16 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
In ours, no one even wanted to coach it. It was so bad that our head coach ended up asking a freshman still competing in B division to do it, which appeared a bit awkward for the upperclassman on the event. (But screw that, lol.)
Well, at least you have coaches; Chattahoochee doesn't even have that :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
19sawickin

Post by 19sawickin »

JoJoKeKe wrote:While I don't believe it is the most competitive, Fossils is definitely an event where you have to know lots in depth to succeed. Having a general knowledge of all the areas typically seems to not get you very far in my experience over the past year. You have to know a great deal about all covered topics to succeed and medal.

That might be because Crave the Wave is a difficult event in the sense that its sometimes difficult to conceptualize the physics behind waves and the tests can be real killers. It also takes a lot of prep time to be GOOD but one can "make due" with basic knowledge from a physics course in school if there is a simple enough test. I also disagree with the above statement that tests aren't generally difficult because if you go to Ohio invitationals such as Wright State or even West Liberty the tests were extremely difficult and the awards people even acknowledged it.
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

I also disagree with the above statement that tests aren't generally difficult
Where did I say that? |:?
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA