Green Generation B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Green Generation B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
dragons790
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Green Generation B/C

Post by dragons790 »

I can't wait for this event! :D
HeavyHitter406
State: IL

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Just for anyone who needs it, EPA website will be good for this event, as a whole section is devoted to environmental issues and the EPA has tons of resources about it. Remember to check the sources for which the website got the info so you can check out those websites too.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
megan
State: OH

Post by megan »

I'm sad that Water Quality is gone, but I have a feeling this event will make up for it :D
"For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse.
So collapse.
Crumble.
This is not your destruction.
This is your birth." --n.t.

Green Generation
Dynamic Planet
Mission Possible
JT016
State: NY

Post by JT016 »

The rules state that we should know about "community interactions." Does this include symbiotic relationships (e.g. commensalism, mutualism and parisitism)?
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

JT016 wrote:The rules state that we should know about "community interactions." Does this include symbiotic relationships (e.g. commensalism, mutualism and parisitism)?
Yes, I believe that's what is meant by community interactions.
JT016
State: NY

Post by JT016 »

John Richardsim wrote:
JT016 wrote:The rules state that we should know about "community interactions." Does this include symbiotic relationships (e.g. commensalism, mutualism and parisitism)?
Yes, I believe that's what is meant by community interactions.
Ok, thanks. Just thought I'd make sure before I did/didn't put it on my notes
rab 666

Post by rab 666 »

Are the indicator species listed on the event parameters similar to the ones in Water Quality? Where should we go to study these? Thanks :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
CulturallyScientific

Post by CulturallyScientific »

As far as the subjects go, if the focus this year is mostly going to be aquatic and atmospheric (water and air) issues, does that mean there won't be anything on waste management, terrestrial ecology, or energy? It seems like when you get into the nitty gritty of environmental science, everything's kinda all related and tied back to one another so it seems strange that it's so divided. Any thoughts?
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

rab 666 wrote:Are the indicator species listed on the event parameters similar to the ones in Water Quality? Where should we go to study these? Thanks :D
I think it's a good idea to study the Water Quality indicator species from the past few years, because it's a likely source proctors will go to on the aquatic side. For air indicator species, a quick google search will bring some up, such as lichen.
CulturallyScientific wrote:As far as the subjects go, if the focus this year is mostly going to be aquatic and atmospheric (water and air) issues, does that mean there won't be anything on waste management, terrestrial ecology, or energy? It seems like when you get into the nitty gritty of environmental science, everything's kinda all related and tied back to one another so it seems strange that it's so divided. Any thoughts?
I agree, everything is interconnected. But I also think it's a good thing that they narrowed the event somewhat, otherwise it would cover too much to be a practical event. I like that they split it, because it allows us to go more in depth each year, rather than be bombarded with tons of information year 1, and then have less to study in the second year. There shouldn't be anything over waste management, terrestrial ecology, or energy except possibly as it relates to aquatic and atmospheric issues. For instance, deforestation is technically terrestrial, but it causes major water quality issues (increased soil erosion, increased runoff, decreased dissolved oxygen, etc.), so that part of it would be topical, but other effects unrelated to air and water wouldn't be asked about.
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils

Return to “2015 Study Events”