Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Scioly Achievement List

Post by SilverBreeze »

PM2017 wrote: March 21st, 2020, 7:42 pm
jimmy-bond wrote: March 19th, 2020, 11:47 pm
IHateClouds wrote: March 5th, 2020, 3:07 pmBLIND STAB ACHIEVEMENT: Completely make up a number or term to a free-response question and actually be right
WQ in a nutshell.
I recall an instance in WQ where I had forgotten my notes and was doing an intraschool where everyone solos. I got to the vocab section and read a question. For some reason, my brain said, "Neuston. That sounds like it could be the right answer." and wrote it down. Lo and behold, it was correct.
I feel like a lot of these "blind stabs" could be when someone has briefly read something ages ago, and don't fully remember, but upon some trigger (in this case, the question), the answer just comes to you. Memory is pretty wack.
Sometimes it's a question that seems difficult to someone who knows the content but is easy to reason through for someone who doesn't. For example, I once got an essay question on disadvantages of using Lotka-Volterra equations to model predator-prey dynamics. There's a specific list found in textbooks and online, and the question seems to test knowledge, but from the fact that it's a set of equations, you already know it doesn't take into account random fluctuations or sudden outside events(e.g., natural disaster).
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
PM2017
Division: Grad

Post by PM2017 »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 21st, 2020, 8:09 pm
PM2017 wrote: March 21st, 2020, 7:42 pm
jimmy-bond wrote: March 19th, 2020, 11:47 pm

I recall an instance in WQ where I had forgotten my notes and was doing an intraschool where everyone solos. I got to the vocab section and read a question. For some reason, my brain said, "Neuston. That sounds like it could be the right answer." and wrote it down. Lo and behold, it was correct.
I feel like a lot of these "blind stabs" could be when someone has briefly read something ages ago, and don't fully remember, but upon some trigger (in this case, the question), the answer just comes to you. Memory is pretty wack.
Sometimes it's a question that seems difficult to someone who knows the content but is easy to reason through for someone who doesn't. For example, I once got an essay question on disadvantages of using Lotka-Volterra equations to model predator-prey dynamics. There's a specific list found in textbooks and online, and the question seems to test knowledge, but from the fact that it's a set of equations, you already know it doesn't take into account random fluctuations or sudden outside events(e.g., natural disaster).
I fully agree with this as well. I don't think I can count how many astronomy tests my partner and I went through, and came across some conceptual question that we had no idea how to approach, but using the context of the problem statement we figured out exactly how something works. It's a really indescribable feeling to come up with an explanation or an actual working model for how something works, in the pressure environment of a competitions no less. (Can you tell I miss scioly? lol)

Also, I've just looked up those equations you mentioned. That's pretty cool! I was never really into ecology back in like 4th or 5th grade (when my interests within the different fields of science really developed), and I thought ecological systems were rather boring (though I definitely did not put those thoughts into words like these...). I guess that's one of the few problems with knowing exactly what you're interested in that early in life. Looking back and seeing all the math and other cool conceptual aspects of it, I kinda want to go pick up some ecology textbooks and try my hand at it for fun. I guess I have all the time in the world due to current world events; might as well make the most of it.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

O2 Achievement+Host Achievement+Beat the Curve Achivement (All Together)

This was the first competition of the season, and I won 2 events with a person, carrying them in both events they were both partnered with me in. Regardless, we has a good time. However, the most ridiculous thing was that we thought we screwed up the entire detector test, but we still placed. Which was beyond crazy in the end, because after the test we realized we had half the questions wrong, and messed up all the led's. I think most people messed up the LED ranges, so we did all right. :shock:
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I'm going to make up the OOPSIES achievement, for forgetting your notes for an event, but still winning/medalling. I did that this year.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post:
sneepity (September 23rd, 2020, 10:59 am)
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

BennyTheJett wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 8:44 pm I'm going to make up the OOPSIES achievement, for forgetting your notes for an event, but still winning/medalling. I did that this year.
My Protein Modeling partners and I all forgot our notes for a mini-invite, but we still did very well on the test. We were the only team competing, so technically we did win.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
jimmy-bond
State: OH

Post by jimmy-bond »

Late Bloomer: show up late to an event (preferably not intentional) and still manage to get a medal

During an invitational, I realized 10 minutes after the time slot began that I had WQ. I sprint to the room and, upon arrival, realized I forgot my salinometer. So I sprinted back to base and back to the room, so I'm like 15 minutes late. Still medaled tho :)
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

FLYING SOLO ACHIEVEMENT: RFTS, my partner and I each thought the other was printing(same partner I got N2 with two years later); see growth mindset
BEAT THE CURVE ACHIEVEMENT: <50% in WQ
MULTIPLE GUESS ACHIEVEMENT: Every test event?
BLIND STAB ACHIEVEMENT: RFTS(what's a log button on a calculator?), Ecology essay question

N2 ACHIEVEMENT: Cluster system, CB, WQ, and Potions, see below:
PARASITE ACHIEVEMENT: CB
HOST ACHIEVEMENT: WQ
SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP: Potions
CONSISTENCY ACHIEVEMENT: WQ(not anymore, but 8th grade and part of ninth)
EVENT POLYGON ACHIEVEMENT: 6th grade would-be CB partner(I switched out of the event) to person B to person C to partner for CB 8th grade year

POWER COUPLE AWARD: DP with Umaroth :) <3 (this is another parasite achievement)

UN-STREET SMART ACHIEVEMENT: Every competition?

ANTI-AESTHETICS ACHIEVEMENT: Every build I've done, as well as MA.

POPULARITY AWARD: Only this season.

PRINTER AWARD: Medal 1, 2, 4 (bonus points if you somehow get a black ribbon too).

RAINBOW AWARD: Have a medal of each placement color(for me that's 1-6 place, might vary by location) in your collection.

PARTICIPATION COLLECTION: Have a significant portion of your meager medal collection come from participation medals at regionals(the orange ribbon is really pretty)

GROWTH MINDSET ACHIEVEMENT: make a serious mistake with a partner early on, then do really well in a later season with the same partner. The partner I got the N2 achievement with was also the same partner I went into my first SciOly competition with without notes because we had each thought the other was printing(see flying solo).

SUSPENSE ACHIEVEMENT: Have your placements announced in order of worst-to-best(not necessarily alphabetical, just how they announced it, e.g., delays)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Perhaps a wiki page could be created to record what each achievement means? It's a bit hard to remember what everything means.
These users thanked the author MadCow2357 for the post:
CPScienceDude (April 8th, 2020, 11:23 am)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

MadCow2357 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:14 am Perhaps a wiki page could be created to record what each achievement means? It's a bit hard to remember what everything means.
I might do that. Someone else would have to do formatting tho lol
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

CPScienceDude wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:23 am
MadCow2357 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:14 am Perhaps a wiki page could be created to record what each achievement means? It's a bit hard to remember what everything means.
I might do that. Someone else would have to do formatting tho lol
I'll pitch in. I just PMed the Wikimods to ask if it was ok, seeing as it's not directly related to competition, and some might consider the page useless.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.

Return to “General Chat”