Trajectory B/C

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 932
Joined: April 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: ME
Location: Waterville, Maine
Contact:

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby starpug » June 28th, 2009, 8:21 am

Aia wrote:I perused the trajectory forum, but was unable to find any posts relating to B division trajectory scores at Nationals. Does anyone know where the scores fell for medaling in B division? My sister was wondering how her trajectory (which received 1st at State) would have stood up compared to other devices at the National competition, since she was unable to attend. Her state score (which was consistent with her other runs, both difficult and easier heights), was 6cm off the far target and 9mm off the near target.

I can bet you they would have 0 scores for at least the top 3 and possibly all the medalers, I heard the top 5 all hit the pin last year. Beyond that I have no clue.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

User avatar
karatekid44
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 5:16 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: Im on a boat

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby karatekid44 » June 28th, 2009, 8:26 am

starpug wrote:
karatekid44 wrote:For our trajectory device we used surgical tubing for the tension and it did not stretch out over time it was taut like the first day.

Then I kinda doubt it was surgical tubing unless you did very little testing because the tannish surgical tubing that you get at the hardware store stretches out over time. Might you have been using excercise tubing which would have been blue, green, red, purple, black, or some other colors?

We used 3/8 ID and 1/2 OD and that stuff had so much power it knocked the endcap off of our ABS pipe. It didn't stretch at all either but we didn't do many firings because we had such a short time to build.


No it was the tan surgical tubing and we did a lot of testing it did not stretch.
My Brother USCGA-2012
I'm On A Boat
The Bloodhound Gang
Don't put the stick there! Thats what she said!
Ah Science Olympiad give perfect opportunities for thats what she said jokes.

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 932
Joined: April 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: ME
Location: Waterville, Maine
Contact:

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby starpug » June 28th, 2009, 8:32 am

karatekid44 wrote:
starpug wrote:
karatekid44 wrote:For our trajectory device we used surgical tubing for the tension and it did not stretch out over time it was taut like the first day.

Then I kinda doubt it was surgical tubing unless you did very little testing because the tannish surgical tubing that you get at the hardware store stretches out over time. Might you have been using excercise tubing which would have been blue, green, red, purple, black, or some other colors?

We used 3/8 ID and 1/2 OD and that stuff had so much power it knocked the endcap off of our ABS pipe. It didn't stretch at all either but we didn't do many firings because we had such a short time to build.


No it was the tan surgical tubing and we did a lot of testing it did not stretch.

:| If you say so.
/skeptical
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

User avatar
karatekid44
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 5:16 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: Im on a boat

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby karatekid44 » June 28th, 2009, 8:43 am

yes i very much say so we used doubles one short and one long on each side of the launching arm
My Brother USCGA-2012
I'm On A Boat
The Bloodhound Gang
Don't put the stick there! Thats what she said!
Ah Science Olympiad give perfect opportunities for thats what she said jokes.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 942
Joined: January 12th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby andrewwski » June 28th, 2009, 9:20 am

There's going to be differences in different surgical tubings as well. I'd imagine the stuff from the hardware store is going to be different from the actual surgical stuff (used to replace tendons and stuff), and there's a variety of types you can get online. Some is going to deform more, some is going to deform less.
Please read Forum Rule #2:
2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose.

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 235
Joined: April 1st, 2006, 11:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby Aia » June 28th, 2009, 9:54 pm

My sister used surgical tubing. However, she doubled-up her surgical tubing (one tube inside another) to minimize the effects of wear over time. Now, my knowledge in the realm of trajectory is very limited, but I do believe her method gave consistent data and was effective.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

User avatar
Lily Essence
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: March 29th, 2009, 1:36 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby Lily Essence » June 29th, 2009, 5:50 am

Aia wrote:My sister used surgical tubing. However, she doubled-up her surgical tubing (one tube inside another) to minimize the effects of wear over time. Now, my knowledge in the realm of trajectory is very limited, but I do believe her method gave consistent data and was effective.


*thinks* Exactly what kind of surgical tubing did your sister use? Could you describe it? Because then tubing we used would have been difficult to tread through, and ours did stretch to some degree after maybe 50 or so firings (confirm Sunshine?) and it messed us up big-time.
Silent and Listen are spelled with the same letters
Seven Lakes SLHS Science Olympiad
Retiring my competition career! Off to scold the newbies as a manager!

User avatar
karatekid44
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 5:16 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: Im on a boat

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby karatekid44 » June 30th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Lily Essence wrote:
Aia wrote:My sister used surgical tubing. However, she doubled-up her surgical tubing (one tube inside another) to minimize the effects of wear over time. Now, my knowledge in the realm of trajectory is very limited, but I do believe her method gave consistent data and was effective.


*thinks* Exactly what kind of surgical tubing did your sister use? Could you describe it? Because then tubing we used would have been difficult to tread through, and ours did stretch to some degree after maybe 50 or so firings (confirm Sunshine?) and it messed us up big-time.


We had a short and long piece of surgical tubing, and we tied it on pegs to and from the firing arm. I did not do this event, but i helped out and used this event to take a break from the other events. Nothing gives a break like flinging balls!
My Brother USCGA-2012
I'm On A Boat
The Bloodhound Gang
Don't put the stick there! Thats what she said!
Ah Science Olympiad give perfect opportunities for thats what she said jokes.

User avatar
catapult champion
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: March 10th, 2009, 8:49 am
Division: B
State: AL
Location: Prattville , Alabama

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby catapult champion » July 9th, 2009, 1:49 pm

starpug wrote:
Aia wrote:I perused the trajectory forum, but was unable to find any posts relating to B division trajectory scores at Nationals. Does anyone know where the scores fell for medaling in B division? My sister was wondering how her trajectory (which received 1st at State) would have stood up compared to other devices at the National competition, since she was unable to attend. Her state score (which was consistent with her other runs, both difficult and easier heights), was 6cm off the far target and 9mm off the near target.

I can bet you they would have 0 scores for at least the top 3 and possibly all the medalers, I heard the top 5 all hit the pin last year. Beyond that I have no clue.



if all the top medalers hit the pin how would they detirmine places
1st place catapult 2009 (regionals)

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 932
Joined: April 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: ME
Location: Waterville, Maine
Contact:

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby starpug » July 9th, 2009, 2:05 pm

catapult champion wrote:
starpug wrote:
Aia wrote:I perused the trajectory forum, but was unable to find any posts relating to B division trajectory scores at Nationals. Does anyone know where the scores fell for medaling in B division? My sister was wondering how her trajectory (which received 1st at State) would have stood up compared to other devices at the National competition, since she was unable to attend. Her state score (which was consistent with her other runs, both difficult and easier heights), was 6cm off the far target and 9mm off the near target.

I can bet you they would have 0 scores for at least the top 3 and possibly all the medalers, I heard the top 5 all hit the pin last year. Beyond that I have no clue.



if all the top medalers hit the pin how would they detirmine places

By how consistent you were I believe
Trajectory Rules Section 6 wrote:f. The first tiebreaker shall be the lower total of the sum of the two scored shots (to reward consistency) and the second tiebreaker by the closest shot. Third tiebreaker will be the non-scored shot at the far target; fourth tiebreaker will be non-scored shot at the close target.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 235
Joined: April 1st, 2006, 11:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby Aia » July 27th, 2009, 9:39 pm

If anyone's curious, I posted my sister's design to the Scioly image gallery with explanations:

http://gallery.scioly.org/categories.php?cat_id=51

Hopefully these photos will also shed some light on the "doubled up" surgical tubing I had mentioned earlier.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 932
Joined: April 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: ME
Location: Waterville, Maine
Contact:

Re: Trajectory B/C

Postby starpug » July 29th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Aia wrote:If anyone's curious, I posted my sister's design to the Scioly image gallery with explanations:

http://gallery.scioly.org/categories.php?cat_id=51

Hopefully these photos will also shed some light on the "doubled up" surgical tubing I had mentioned earlier.

Thanks Aia, that does clear some things up. :D
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain


Return to “2009 Build Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests