Invasive Species B/C

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » August 17th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Awesome! Your turn.
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » August 17th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Okay here is one
scioly 2.jpg


1. Common and scientific name
2. Native area
3. What was the original intention/purpose for bringing this plant to the US?
4. How are seeds dispersed?
5. How does this plant damage/impact native vegetation?
Proud Alumni of FAUHS SO! Cornell '21

Past Events
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » August 18th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Fluorine wrote:
Okay here is one
scioly 2.jpg


1. Common and scientific name
2. Native area
3. What was the original intention/purpose for bringing this plant to the US?
4. How are seeds dispersed?
5. How does this plant damage/impact native vegetation?

This is totally from my memory so don't judge...
1. Japanese Honeysuckle. (Lonicera japonica)
2. Asia
3. I don't know. :(
4. Wind and animal????
5. It's parasitic and can strangle other plants to eventually kill them.
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » August 18th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Just about!
2. To be specific Korea and Japan
3. As an ornamental plant, for erosion control and for wildlife forage and cover (would have taken any of these)


Okay, your turn!!
Proud Alumni of FAUHS SO! Cornell '21

Past Events
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » August 19th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Cool I sorta did it :D :D
Arundo_donax_3.jpg
Arundo_donax_3.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

1. Common and scientific names.
2. Native and known range. (3 countries for each)
3. Reproduction.
4. Control Methods.
5. Preferred diet and ecology.

Also as a side note I'm almost done with my binder!
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » August 21st, 2015, 11:47 am

Jaol wrote:
Cool I sorta did it :D :D
Arundo_donax_3.jpg

1. Common and scientific names.
2. Native and known range. (3 countries for each)
3. Reproduction.
4. Control Methods.
5. Preferred diet and ecology.

Also as a side note I'm almost done with my binder!

Cool, I barely started! :D Don't judge :\
1. Sure does resemble bamboo... Giant Reed/Cane, Arundo donax
2a. Three countries? Native to: Egypt, Turkey, Iraq?,
2b. US, Cuba, Japan?
3. Asexually through vegetative propagation (series of rhizomes underground)
4. Used as fuel, to make instruments, and construction; importation of mediterranean insects
5. Prefers wetlands and grows in areas with arsenic, lead, and cadmium; it is adapted to wildfires and photosynthesizes like many other plant species

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3617
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Unome » August 21st, 2015, 1:02 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Jaol wrote:
Cool I sorta did it :D :D
Arundo_donax_3.jpg

1. Common and scientific names.
2. Native and known range. (3 countries for each)
3. Reproduction.
4. Control Methods.
5. Preferred diet and ecology.

Also as a side note I'm almost done with my binder!

Cool, I barely started! :D Don't judge :\
1. Sure does resemble bamboo... Giant Reed/Cane, Arundo donax
2a. Three countries? Native to: Egypt, Turkey, Iraq?,
2b. US, Cuba, Japan?
3. Asexually through vegetative propagation (series of rhizomes underground)
4. Used as fuel, to make instruments, and construction; importation of mediterranean insects
5. Prefers wetlands and grows in areas with arsenic, lead, and cadmium; it is adapted to wildfires and photosynthesizes like many other plant species

You're back! (I have nothing to actually contribute besides this)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » August 21st, 2015, 1:14 pm

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Jaol wrote:
Cool I sorta did it :D :D
Arundo_donax_3.jpg

1. Common and scientific names.
2. Native and known range. (3 countries for each)
3. Reproduction.
4. Control Methods.
5. Preferred diet and ecology.

Also as a side note I'm almost done with my binder!

Cool, I barely started! :D Don't judge :\
1. Sure does resemble bamboo... Giant Reed/Cane, Arundo donax
2a. Three countries? Native to: Egypt, Turkey, Iraq?,
2b. US, Cuba, Japan?
3. Asexually through vegetative propagation (series of rhizomes underground)
4. Used as fuel, to make instruments, and construction; importation of mediterranean insects
5. Prefers wetlands and grows in areas with arsenic, lead, and cadmium; it is adapted to wildfires and photosynthesizes like many other plant species

You're back! (I have nothing to actually contribute besides this)

You're right UTF :D Your turn.
Countdown: 66 Days

bewilderbeast
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: March 25th, 2015, 7:18 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby bewilderbeast » August 25th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Hello,
I am a student at Torrey Hills Elementary. Since we have a fairly small team (and build events are especially popular) we did not do Invasive Species while it was a test event. If you guys had any information to offer, that would be great (as to the format of tests, etc...)
Thanks a lot!

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » August 27th, 2015, 4:36 am

Here's a pic:
Image

1. Identify scientific and common name.
2. Where is it native? (Looking for four seas and an ocean)
3. How did it get transported into non-native territory?
4. Where do they prefer to live?
5. How do they survive in non-native territory?
and 6. Where did they most notably invade in the US?

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » August 27th, 2015, 6:43 am

Answer!
1. Veined Rapa Whelk ( Rapana venosa)
2. Native to estuarine waters in west pacific ocean, sea of japan, yellow sea, east china sea and bohi sea.
3. Planktonic larval being transported in hulls of shipp or egg masses in aquatic farming practices
4. Sandy compact bottoms where they will burrow.
5. Can outcompete native whelks and prey on them too. And little native predators so inturn allowing for unchecked population growth
6.Chesapeake Bay (no clue? this is all i have in my notes)

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » August 27th, 2015, 8:54 am

Fluorine wrote:
Answer!
1. Veined Rapa Whelk ( Rapana venosa)
2. Native to estuarine waters in west pacific ocean, sea of japan, yellow sea, east china sea and bohi sea.
3. Planktonic larval being transported in hulls of shipp or egg masses in aquatic farming practices
4. Sandy compact bottoms where they will burrow.
5. Can outcompete native whelks and prey on them too. And little native predators so inturn allowing for unchecked population growth
6.Chesapeake Bay (no clue? this is all i have in my notes)

Correct! Your turn!

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » August 27th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Here you go :D
scioly 3.jpg
scioly 3.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

1. scientific and common name
2. Native range (list 4 countries)
3. What impact does this plant have on water?
4. General Habitat
5. What is a biological control method for this plant?
6. This plant creates ideal breeding conditions for _________ (fill in the blank)

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » August 27th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Fluorine wrote:
Here you go :D
scioly 3.jpg

1. scientific and common name
2. Native range (list 4 countries)
3. What impact does this plant have on water?
4. General Habitat
5. What is a biological control method for this plant?
6. This plant creates ideal breeding conditions for _________ (fill in the blank)

One miss...
1. Giant Salvinia (Salvinia molesta)
2. US, Canada, Brazil, Chile
3. Competitive, affects bio-diversity.
4. Tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate climate.
5. Cyrtobagus salvinae
6. Idk :oops:
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » August 27th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Jaol wrote:
Fluorine wrote:
Here you go :D
scioly 3.jpg

1. scientific and common name
2. Native range (list 4 countries)
3. What impact does this plant have on water?
4. General Habitat
5. What is a biological control method for this plant?
6. This plant creates ideal breeding conditions for _________ (fill in the blank)

One miss...
1. Giant Salvinia (Salvinia molesta)
2. US, Canada, Brazil, Chile
3. Competitive, affects bio-diversity.
4. Tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate climate.
5. Cyrtobagus salvinae
6. Idk :oops:


Pretty Close (your turn!)
2. was looking for clogging waterways, blocks sunlight which deoxygenates water. Which prevents natural gas exchange b/w air and water (something like that would have been fine)
6. Mosquitos


Return to “2015 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests