chalker, can I...

A forum for those Word Games that plague the Earth.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: chalker, can I...

Post by bernard »

daydreamer0023 wrote:Chalker, can you create a couple of Division D events so us Scioly alums can have fun? :)
We have them already...
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

bernard wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Chalker, can you create a couple of Division D events so us Scioly alums can have fun? :)
We have them already...
Division D Wiki

^just some suggestions for chalker so he can have some inspiration for creating official Division D events
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

why can't we edit the Div D wiki
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:Dear Dr. Chalker,
I would like to make suggestions for the Density Lab rules in the 2020 season. To give you some background on me, I received 2nd place at IL State (where the national event supervisor was supervising). Thus, I would say that I am moderately knowledgeable about the event and its topics. First, I would love it if the topics to be tested were clearer and more varied. I know that the latter half might be harder to do in an event like this, but I feel that it is necessary because many tests have very similar questions with just the numbers changed. The first half of this would likely just be the formatting of the rules (kind of like how the Heredity and Thermodynamics rules were formatted in the 2019 season). I think that this would help the event be much more clear to competitors, because I know that many teams (including the teams at nationals if you see the Density Lab thread) were unprepared for what to expect because they did not know what was expected of them at various competition levels. Thus, I would also recommend adding topics to only be covered at states and nationals in order for teams to better know what is expected of them.
Thank you for your listening to me,
Rithik Khanna
As of right now we have no plans to make any changes to Density. However we are receptive to specific suggestions if you might have them for topics to be added to the list. Keep in mind that there are 50 state competitions, with about that many event supervisors, each with different testing styles and backgrounds, so it's often hard to get any more consistency in whats supposed to be a 'general knowledge' type event.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain »

Would you be able to add basic thermodynamic knowledge (more in-depth temperature scales, laws, Carnot cycle, thermodynamic systems and processes, heat transfer, phases of matter, etc.), or would this be too specific?
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

CookiePie1 wrote:why can't we edit the Div D wiki
We are the official source for Division D events, rules, rule changes, and FAQs. Therefore we must preserve the accuracy of this official source.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I'm not chalker, but hello!
chalker wrote: As of right now we have no plans to make any changes to Density. However we are receptive to specific suggestions if you might have them for topics to be added to the list. Keep in mind that there are 50 state competitions, with about that many event supervisors, each with different testing styles and backgrounds, so it's often hard to get any more consistency in whats supposed to be a 'general knowledge' type event.
Hmm, I recall some specific requests in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14132&p=386699#p386699 / viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14132&p=386699#p387009 of recent memory...but those are chem-related, which I know isn't in your department unlike Density.
NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:Would you be able to add basic thermodynamic knowledge (more in-depth temperature scales, laws, Carnot cycle, thermodynamic systems and processes, heat transfer, phases of matter, etc.), or would this be too specific?
The test rules look solid imo, I'm surprised there are issues @NSCDS3RdCaptain. It sounds like your main concern is adding thermo, which certainly relates to pressure/density! The problem is that doesn't look like "the point" of the event, which has a slightly either fluid physics or chemistry focus (not in thermo). Density is a mix of things, but is it *needed* to add thermo? It's usually better to have more flexible rules than more detailed and likely confusing rules. Of your list, heat transfer, carnot cycle don't seem to greatly enhance knowledge of density from a fluids or chemistry perspective off the top of my head. I think phases of matter or phase diagrams could be good. It might be a rabbit hole requiring extra knowledge, but phase diagrams were admittedly popular in Solar Sys and are good tools.

It seems like in your first post you were suggesting something else about rules formatting and not knowing what to expect. Did ESs misinterpret or oversimplify how to make tests based off the rules? Admittedly, I've only written one test off trial rules for it, so I don't know how it played out in practice and can't tell from the Density Lab thread.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:Would you be able to add basic thermodynamic knowledge (more in-depth temperature scales, laws, Carnot cycle, thermodynamic systems and processes, heat transfer, phases of matter, etc.), or would this be too specific?
Thermo is rotating out this year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
bernard wrote:
We have them already...
Division D Wiki

^just some suggestions for chalker so he can have some inspiration for creating official Division D events
Ah, okay. Gotcha. ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain »

Thank you for that information. I had not yet known this. @syo_astro, I completely agree with you. However, I feel that the event is a bit too narrow in scope, especially when compared to other events.
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x

Return to “Posting Games”