What is the hardest event?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sk8lynne
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is the hardest event?

Post by sk8lynne »

Arcturus wrote:Anatomy is pretty hard. You have to study forever to learn the specifics. There are like a million specifics to know. For instance, because I compete in Ohio, I need to know everything, or I won't get a state medal. So, I will do things like memorize all of the features (processes, tubercles, foramen) for every bone.
I don't think anatomy is that hard. Yeah it does take forever to learn the specifics and in New York you have to pretty muchknow everything to medal too, but i don't think its the hardest event. At least for Anatomy you know pretty much all the topics that are going to be on the event. Disease on the other hand is sooo unpredictable. You can never know what they are going to ask you on the test. In my opinion, I think disease is one of the hardest events.
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
Arcturus
Division: B

Post by Arcturus »

Yeah anatomy is not that hard to learn. But last year at state we had 20 stations and two minutes to complete it in. They would ask like 25 questions. You just need to know everything about anything.
Ohio State Results 2009 Amherst
Overall 18th place
Anatomy 1st
Reach For the Stars 4th
Experimental Design 7th
Bio Process Lab 16th
Physical Science Lab 24th 1.1v on low high did not start
sk8lynne
Division: C

Post by sk8lynne »

Yeah you pretty much do need to know everything.
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

I really don't like it when people ask this question. No event is "harder" than any other event. An event can be easy for an individual person, but not an easy event. It doesn't matter if the event is easy or not; it matters if you are better than the other teams.

If an event is "easy", then everybody else will find it easy too. An example is Compute This. A lot of people already have Microsoft Office skills and internet searching skills, and don't find the event difficult. But, even if you go into Compute This and know how to do everything, it doesn't matter if it's easy - it can easier for someone else. I felt really confident this year in Compute This, but it ended up that there were 5 people better than me at Regionals.

If an event is "hard", then everyone else will probably find it hard too. In Crave the Wave last year at Regionals, at least 25% of the questions I wasn't sure on, and 25% I guessed/didn't know. I still pulled 2nd place, because even though it was "hard" I still knew more than everyone else. (well, except one team) Also, people complain about Crave the Wave being hard, and I did find it somewhat difficult last year, but this year I have had very few problems in competition. I think there was 1 out of 9 stations at regionals this year that I had problems with. It's not that hard if you actually study and build a decent binder.

Anydangway, every event has the same teams competing against you. It doesn't matter if the event is "easy" or "hard" - it only matters if you are better than the other guy.
fmtiger124
Division: Grad

Post by fmtiger124 »

JustDroobles wrote:I really don't like it when people ask this question. No event is "harder" than any other event. An event can be easy for an individual person, but not an easy event. It doesn't matter if the event is easy or not; it matters if you are better than the other teams.

If an event is "easy", then everybody else will find it easy too. An example is Compute This. A lot of people already have Microsoft Office skills and internet searching skills, and don't find the event difficult. But, even if you go into Compute This and know how to do everything, it doesn't matter if it's easy - it can easier for someone else. I felt really confident this year in Compute This, but it ended up that there were 5 people better than me at Regionals.

If an event is "hard", then everyone else will probably find it hard too. In Crave the Wave last year at Regionals, at least 25% of the questions I wasn't sure on, and 25% I guessed/didn't know. I still pulled 2nd place, because even though it was "hard" I still knew more than everyone else. (well, except one team) Also, people complain about Crave the Wave being hard, and I did find it somewhat difficult last year, but this year I have had very few problems in competition. I think there was 1 out of 9 stations at regionals this year that I had problems with. It's not that hard if you actually study and build a decent binder.

Anydangway, every event has the same teams competing against you. It doesn't matter if the event is "easy" or "hard" - it only matters if you are better than the other guy.
My partner and I had an Epic Fail at Compute This they threw a two y axis graph at us and it took us forever to get it working. We stil cant find the answer to one of the short answer questions either. and its benn more than a month after our regionals
dontsenditinthemail

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

fmtiger124 wrote:If an event is "easy", then everybody else will find it easy too.
I agree with this statement. I find that it is hardest to WIN the really hard events, but not too bad to place in the top tier as most of the teams aren't great at them; however, in the easier events it is easier to win the events, but the spread between 1st and 30th might be like 10 points because everybody is alright at them, thus if one were to have an off day, he or she might place like 30th.

For example, one might get a 70% on a health science test and win, but the person with a 70% on the Dynamic Planet test would get 30th.

Thus, in conclusion (my opinion anyway)-

Hardest Events to Win - Anatomy/Health Science
Easiest Events to Mess Up and thus could be considered "hard"(not including the ever-popular mechanicals)- Dynamic Planet, Compute This, Ecology
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

dontsenditinthemail wrote:
fmtiger124 wrote:If an event is "easy", then everybody else will find it easy too.
I agree with this statement. I find that it is hardest to WIN the really hard events, but not too bad to place in the top tier as most of the teams aren't great at them; however, in the easier events it is easier to win the events, but the spread between 1st and 30th might be like 10 points because everybody is alright at them, thus if one were to have an off day, he or she might place like 30th.

For example, one might get a 70% on a health science test and win, but the person with a 70% on the Dynamic Planet test would get 30th.

Thus, in conclusion (my opinion anyway)-

Hardest Events to Win - Anatomy/Health Science
Easiest Events to Mess Up and thus could be considered "hard"(not including the ever-popular mechanicals)- Dynamic Planet, Compute This, Ecology
i didn't make that easy comment but whatever.
I think Dynamic Planet is only easy if u have taken or are taking Earth Science(which i have so it is easy)
Same thing goes for Bio-Process Lab except its if you've taken bio
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

Bio process lab is mainly difficult because they can throw anything at you

robot... or wright stuff in building
dontsenditinthemail

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

Actually, in terms of just difficult, I personally think remote sensing is crazy hard because there is so much random stuff they could ask about. I mean, satellites have been around for decades, and there are decades worth of data to question on if an event supervisor felt like it.
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I really don't know much at all outside of my own events. If I had to choose I would say:

Hardest study/lab event: probably Crave the Wave because the topic is so broad and you need to know specifics about each of the many topics. As well, you don't really know what will be thrown at you. The test could be all about light waves or only about diffraction while completely skipping over other topics. Judging from other comments, Anatomy is similar.

Hardest building event: Robots because from experience I can say that electroncs are a HUGE pain in the neck to get right. Wright Stuff is also hard because building a decent plane is fairly easy, but requires hours testing to get it (w)right.
In full color since 2006

Return to “General Competition”