Dr. Carson's Speech - OBB Archive - Scioly.org
keyboard_backspace Return to Parent Forum

View Topic - Dr. Carson's Speech

search Search

Dr. Carson's Speech highlight_alt

By computernerd4826 at 2008-06-10 03:24:16

who liked the opening ceremony speech?
i think it ROCKED!
anyone know wher to find a recording of it?
i loved his "disclaimer"

Re: Dr. Carson's Speech highlight_alt

By smarkid222 at 2008-06-10 19:49:08

I really liked it at as well.

I don't believe you can download his speech anywhere:

http://scienceolympiad.gwu.edu/pages/faqs/videofaqs.html

By pjgscioisamazing at 2008-06-10 21:05:33

That really stinks. I loved his speech. It was so inspirational and well-spoken. I wish that you could get it somewhere online.

By Mr. Cool at 2008-06-11 00:12:35

He's probably the best speaker I've ever heard!!:-D

By blondmmgirl88 at 2008-06-11 01:40:47

He was a really good speaker and very inspirational. He is the first person that has ever made me feel bad about my procrastination.

I was surprised that I couldn't find a single video on youtube with him in it. I know my mom recorded most of his speech, but I don't know how to hook up her camera to the computer and it would most likely be difficult posting it somewhere on the internet with a file size that big. Or at least it would be with my computer knowledge.

By computernerd4826 at 2008-06-12 01:33:35

http://www.geekshavefeelings.com/bah/
bah is my hero
'nuff said

By oh joy at 2008-06-12 15:46:55

he wuz great! THINK BIG guys!!!!!:)

By adam124218 at 2008-06-16 22:06:52

I personally found a few flaws with his speech. I really wished he had stayed with his inspirational story of how he had gone from being a poor kid who was a bad student to being a brain surgeon. I didn't think he needed to go into religion and how it's okay not to try not to offend people. I didn't see any reason for him to offend Jews and Mormons so he could make the point that political correctness is bad. As a Jew, I was insulted by his deliberate insinuation that Jews are too sensitive about the Holocaust. I don't think that the Mormons on our team appreciated the comment about polygamy either. I think he could have made his point without offending people just to show that one shouldn't censor his or herself.

In addition, I didn't like the God-praising rant at the end of the speech. I had no problem with the references to God that were mixed into the speech because he absolutely has a right to believe whatever he wants. I have no problem with him crediting God for his achievements. I did not, however, think that he needed to urge us all to thank [his] God for what we have. It wasn't necessary. Especially with him being projected on the big screen, I felt a little bit like I was watching a televangelist rather than a doctor.

And I feel no shame in saying that I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by being offended.

By ntscioly9 at 2008-06-17 00:11:55

I agree, I loved 95% of his speech, especially his quadratic equation vs. jump shot comment. Then he introduced the "G" in Think Big and I certainly wasn't a fan of that. I choose to Think Bi instead...

By wyosciencenerd at 2008-06-17 02:40:17

[quote]I agree, I loved 95% of his speech, especially his quadratic equation vs. jump shot comment. Then he introduced the "G" in Think Big and I certainly wasn't a fan of that. I choose to Think Bi instead...[/quote]

I agree. There are so many beliefs out there and I know there were people in there who don't believe in the god he's referring to and believe in something else or don't believe at all. I truly do respect that he, as well as so many other people, do believe in god, I think that's great for them! But that one part made myself, as well as one other girl and one boy on my team feel awkward and I guess. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to "Think Bi" as the person above said.