Northwest Pennsylvania Regional
|Northwest Pennsylvania Regional|
|Location||Penn State Erie, The Behrend College|
|Total teams||14 B, 20 C|
|Division B Champion||Laurel Junior High School|
|Division C Champion||North East High School|
|Date||March 5, 2019|
The Northwest Pennsylvania region is held in Penn State Erie. The 2020 competition has been cancelled due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.
The region primarily serves Butler, Cameron, Clarion, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Potter, Venango, and Warren counties.
Although the region's teams currently struggle to be competitive at the state level, the Northwest region has a rich history of high-placing teams. Although Kane Area Middle School is the only team that qualified for the national tournament from this region that still competes in the region, Northwest has produced several national qualifiers at the B Division level and several top-10 finishers at the C Division level.
In the early 2000s, Pittsburgh Allderdice High School and Montour High School competed in the region, due to its location at Westminster College. Also, Shady Side Academy Middle School and Shady Side Academy High School both competed in the region from 2002-2006, and Sewickley Academy competed in the region in 2006. All of these schools competed in the Southwest Pennsylvania Regional from 2007 onwards.
In 2008, State College Area High School left the Central Pennsylvania Regional and began competing in this region. They did so until 2012, when they moved back to the Central region. Likewise, the two middle schools that feed into State College, Mount Nittany Middle School and Park Forest Middle School, began competing in the region in 2008 and left in 2012.
Past Regional Champions
This is a record of the past regional champions and runners up, and their respective places at the state competition. Scores at the regional and state competitions may be shown in parentheses. This region typically sends 4-6 teams to states per division.
- *In 2013, Venango Catholic High School beat Laurel Senior High School on tiebreaks.
- #Did not attend state tournament.
- 2010 B/C
- 2011 B/C (Not Available)
- 2012 B/C (Not Available)
- 2013 B/C
- 2014 B/C
- 2015 B/C
- 2016 B/C
- 2017 B/C
- 2018 B/C
- 2019 B/C
NOTE: This is a list of all teams that registered for the 2020 version of this regional. For a more complete list of all teams that have competed in this regional, please see Pennsylvania#Teams.
- Brookville Area Junior High School
- Clarion Area Junior High School
- Clarion-Limestone Junior High School
- Harbor Creek Junior High School
- Kane Area Middle School
- Laurel Junior High School
- Maplewood Junior High School
- Neshannock Junior High School
- North Clarion Junior High School
- North East Middle School
- Redbank Valley Junior High School
- Wattsburg Area Middle School
- Wilmington Area Middle School
- Woodrow Wilson Middle School
- Brookville Area Senior High School
- Clarion Area Senior High School
- Clarion-Limestone Senior High School
- Farrell Area High School
- Franklin Area High School
- Harbor Creek High School
- Kane Area High School
- Laurel Senior High School
- Maplewood Senior High School
- Neshannock Senior High School
- North Clarion Senior High School
- North East High School
- Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy
- Redbank Valley Senior High School
- Ridgway Area High School
- Seneca High School
- Sharpsville Area High School
- Union Area High School
- Venango Catholic High School
- Wilmington Area High School