Southeast South Pennsylvania Regional
|Southeast South Pennsylvania Regional|
|Member of SO Since||1989 (1987 as Eastern Regional)|
|Total teams||24 B, 27 C|
|Division B Champion||Bala Cynwyd Middle School|
|Division C Champion||Bayard Rustin High School|
|Date||March 10-13, 2021|
The Southeast South region is held at Neumann University. It is consistently one of the strongest regions in the state of Pennsylvania, and before its split into Southeast South and Southeast North, its C Division may have been one of the strongest regions in the nation.
The region serves Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties in B Division, and Chester and Delaware counties only in C Division.
The region was started in 1987 as the Eastern Regional, in Pennsylvania's first year of having regional tournaments after two years of only having a state tournament. In 1989, part of the region split off from the Eastern Regional to form the Central region. In 1991, the region split again to form the Northeast regional, which took the Scranton/Wilkes Barre, Pocono, Lehigh Valley, and Northern Tier areas, and the Southeast region, which took the Philadelphia metropolitan area and the Reading area. The region remained this way until 1997, when the Central East region, which had split off from the Northeast region, also took the Reading area, leaving the Southeast regional with the Philadelphia area.
In 2019, Bucks County was assigned to the Central East region for the first time.
In 2020, the Southeast region split into Southeast North and Southeast South for Division C only, marking the first time Pennsylvania had different regions for the divisions. Southeast Regional South was continued at Neumann University, but was restricted to only teams from Chester and Delaware Counties. A new C-only Southeast Regional North was created for teams from Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties. In addition, teams from Bucks County were re-assigned to the new region after one year in the Central East region.
In 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, B Division teams from the Northeast and Central East regionals competed with the Southeast Regional to temporarily reform the old East Regional. The C Division tournament also temporarily returned to being for the entire Southeast, with teams from the Southeast North Regional also competing instead of having a separate regional.
Teams Qualifying for States
Division B has historically sent around 9 teams to the state competition, while Division C usually sends 7 or 8. Because of the 2020 split into SEPA North and SEPA South in Division C, only 5 teams from this region moved on to the state tournament that year.
Past Regional Champions
This is a record of the past Regionals champions and runners up, and their respective places at the state competition. Scores at the regional competition may be shown in parentheses. Teams from the region have historically excelled at the state level, with all four teams going to nationals in 2010 coming from SE PA.
Eastern Regional results from before 1991, and Southeast Regional results from before 2019, are shown in this table.
- 1 In 2007, the event Anatomy was not counted in the overall scores due to problems with how the event was run, so the scores shown for 2007 only include 22 events.
- 2 Indicates that team won medal tiebreaker.
- 3 In 2021, teams from the Northeast and Central East Regionals competed in this regional. Of the teams traditionally found in the Southeast region, Bala Cynwyd Middle School placed first, Strath Haven Middle School placed second with 121 points, and Welsh Valley Middle School placed third with 131 points.
- 1 In 1989, Parkland tied with Central Bucks High School West on points.
- 2 In 2021, teams from the Southeast North Pennsylvania Regional competed in this regional. Of the teams traditionally found in the Southeast South region, Bayard Rustin High School placed first, Conestoga High School placed second with 110 points, and Garnet Valley High School placed third with 125 points.
- 2010 B/C
- 2011 B (Not Available)/C (Not Available)
- 2012 B (Not Available)/C
- 2013 B/C
- 2014 B/C (State Qualifiers)
- 2015 B/C
- 2016 B/C
- 2017 B/C
- 2018 B/C
- 2019 B/C
- 2020 B/C
- 2021 B/C
NOTE: This is a list of all teams that registered for the 2020 version of this regional. For a more complete list of all teams that have competed in this regional, please see Pennsylvania#Teams.
- Abington Heights Middle School
- Bala Cynwyd Middle School
- Cedarbrook Middle School
- Dallas Middle School
- E.N. Peirce Middle School
- Exeter Township Junior High School
- Fleetwood Area Middle School
- G.A. Stetson Middle School
- Harlan Rowe Middle School
- J.R. Fugett Middle School
- John F. McCloskey School
- Kutztown Area Middle School
- Martin L. Mattei Middle School
- North Pocono Middle School
- Penn Wood Middle School
- Springhouse Middle School
- Springton Lake Middle School
- Strath Haven Middle School
- Tredyffrin-Easttown Middle School
- Upper Merion Area Middle School
- Wallenpaupack Area Middle School
- Wayne Highlands Middle School
- Welsh Valley Middle School
- Whitehall-Coplay Middle School
- B. Reed Henderson High School
- Bayard Rustin High School
- Central Bucks High School South
- Central Bucks High School West
- Central High School
- Conestoga High School
- Garnet Valley High School
- Germantown Friends School
- Great Valley High School
- Harriton High School
- Hatboro-Horsham High School
- Haverford High School
- Julia R. Masterman School
- Lower Merion High School
- North Penn High School
- Penn Wood High School
- Penncrest High School
- Perkiomen School
- Perkiomen Valley High School
- Philadelphia High School for Girls
- Phoenixville Area High School
- Springfield High School
- Strath Haven High School
- The Shipley School
- Upper Dublin High School
- Upper Merion Area High School
- West Chester East High School