The Assassination Games are a series of role-playing games that have taken place on Scioly.org since 2008. The first Assassinator, and founder of the game, is Skystrider. The games have been played somewhat regularly since the first one.
How It's Played
Assassinator: The assassinator, commonly called "the sassy" or "assasstornado," is the host of the game. There is an account designated for this purpose which is passed from the one assassinator to the next. The assassinator's objective is to "kill" users without having his or her true identity discovered.
Officers: When a game starts, users can become an officer. Officers have the power to protect players from being killed and accuse the assassinator of his identity. There are typically five officers in a game.
Civilians: This is essentially everybody else. Civilians can help the officers solve the clues and discover the identity of the assassinator, but they have no power to protect or accuse.
The Dead: Typically, once killed, a user cannot post about the game. In some games they may not post in the game thread at all, though usually minimal posting is tolerated as long as they don't help the officers.
Although the rules vary from game to game, they are based on a basic set of rules that have evolved as the games have been played. Occasionally an assassinator will introduce bold new rules or novel game styles, some of which worked and some of which didn't. The basic rules are as follows:
- 1. The officers will be the next five people who send correct answers to the clue. Put in a bit of thought before posting. If you have not been around for awhile, it is less likely that you will be able to identify me.
- 2. There will be no "informants", but civilians may post.
- 3. People will die. However, there are some exceptions. I will not kill administrators or moderators. In return, I ask that they not reveal my identity.
- 4. Officers may protect one person per clue.
- 5. Once an officer has made three incorrect accusations, he may not accuse or protect anyone.
- 6. The assassin will provide clues which plainly point to his next victim, and occasionally to himself.
- 7. The assassin will continue to post with his true account, and may provide hints there.
- 8. When accusing someone of being Assassinator you must use the following template "I accuse (place name here) because (give reason here)." If you don't use this template when accusing the accusation won't count.
- 9. Once "killed" a user may not post about the identity of the assassinator.
- 10. Non officers may post.
- 11. Each clue will last 48 hours, after which the Assassinator will kill.
- 12. If the Assassinator does not reply in 7 days after all protects are made, each officer gets a free accusation. However that accusation must be made next time the user posts and cannot be stored as an extra one to use later.
- 13. Each officer begins with one accusation. You will earn an accusation with each correct protection.
- 14. The Assassinator wins after 15 incorrect accusations have been made, but the number needed to win goes down by one with each kill.
- 15. The Assassinator reserves the right to add to these rules as he deems necessary.
A new game starts when the assassinator starts a new thread with the number and title of the game. In the first post the assassinator will provide the rules and usually a short story or introduction to the game. Each game usually has a theme which has to do with the title and stories provided by the assassinator. Some games are heavily themed, whereas others, especially early games, had virtually no theme. The assassinator will also provide the opportunity for becoming an officer. Often this is an entry clue, which must be solved and the answer PM'd to the assassinator. Another common way is the assassinator will say, "The first five people to post in this thread will become an officer." Once all five officers have been selected the assassinator will provide the first clue and the game starts. Note that it is possible and actually rather common for the assassinator to be an officer through his true account.
The assassinator will provide a clue that points to his next victim. These are commonly referred to as "Kill Clues." It is up to the officers to solve the clue and protect the assassinator's target. Anyone is welcome to help solve the clue, though only officers may protect. Once solved, clues will commonly refer to a user's name, school, avatar, previous posts, location, or signature. Popular types of clues include ciphers, word puzzles, dates, coordinates, hidden text, math, and pictures. Good clues will directly point to one user, though it is not uncommon to have vague or ambiguous clues which could point to multiple users. It is traditional and expected for the assassinator to only target active users that are or have previously been involved with the games. Note that the assassinator may target themselves. It is also expected that the assassinator will refrain from killing moderators or admins, though they are occasionally targeted. Officers may protect within the time limit given by the assassinator, usually 48 hours, after which any protects made will be ignored. After the time limit is up, or all the officers have made their protections the assassinator will post. If an officer protected correctly, then the target will not die and that officer will receive an accusation. If the target was not protected, then the assassinator will "kill" them. Then the assassinator will provide the next clue and it all starts again.
The main objective for the officers is to figure out who the assassinator actually is. The assassinator will provide "Identity Clues" which are usually very difficult to discern and sometimes aren't even used to discover who the assassinator is. Officers may use any tools and resources at their disposal to find out who the assassinator is. Once an officer thinks that he might know who the assassinator is, they may make an "Accusation" if they have one. If they are correct then they win the game. If not, then the game continues.
The officer or officers win when the assassinators identity is discovered and an officer correctly accuses them, or in the rare case that the assassinator quits or kills themselves. The assassinator wins when the kill/accusation count-down reaches zero, when all officers are dead, or when all possible accusations have been used. At the end of the game, the winning officer will choose the next assassinator and PM his pick to the assassinator. If the assassinator won, then he will pick the next assassinator. Then the account will be transferred and a new game will start.
HistoryNOTE: Several name changes have taken place as the Assassinator games have progressed:
- tehkubix had his name changed to sachleen.
- Inuyashakusho had his name changed to Deeisenberg.
- trajectoryroxs had her name changed to Liv.
- robodude had his name changed to brobo.
- paleonaps95 had his name changed to paleonaps.
- RandomPerson52 had his name changed to RandomPerson.
- robotman09 had his name changed to robotman
- 1 In Assassination 43, DarkSabre used a special set of rules involving 10 officers and each officer got a "co-accusation" and a normal accusation
- 2 In Assassination 56, Paradox21 became the first assassinator to win a game. Though not all officers were killed, four guessed out, giving Paradox21 the victory.
- 3 In Assassination 63, IdahoSciGuy and his co-assassinator (identity unknown) used a modified version of the rules. It was set up to be similar to traditional mafia games.
- 4 In Assassination 77, paleonaps used a modified set of rules. There were ten officers, with three accusations each, and clues were given five at a time.
- 5 In Assassination 107, the three assassinators used a modified version of the rules. There were 7 officers and 21 accusations.
- 6 In Assassination 113, the assassinator allowed up to 3 replacements of dead officers by civilians, given that the potential replacements solve the clues correctly, but the assassinator also redefined "guessing out" to mean running out of accusations rather than making three incorrect accusations.
- 7 In Assassination 120, there were two co-conspirators (TheChiScientist and Anomaly) but not co-assassinators.
|#||Title||Assassinator||Number of Kills (Including Officers)||Number of Officers Killed||Number of Clues Given||Correct Accusing Officer|
|4||The Killing Spree||gneissisnice||1||0||6||tehkubix|
|10||The New Era||robotman09 (Committed "Suicide")||4||2||13||none|
|11||Murder of the Minds||gneissisnice||2||1||10||rocketman1555|
|12||Reign of the Hunted||ichaelm||0||0||9||starpug|
|13||Hell is for Children||Inuyashakusho (Deeisenberg)||0||0||2||robotman09|
|14||Murder from Behind||genes_girl||0||0||5||Aia|
|15||The Bloodiest Bedlam||Aia||1||0||2||cooltiger|
|16||The Agonizing Abyss||eyeball138||3||1||12||rocketman1555|
|17||The Painful Plateaus||robotman09||6||3 (one guessed out)||19||croman74|
|18||The Great Fear||Pleiades||2||0||10||starpug|
|19||The Westley Wind||starpug||0||0 (one guessed out)||5||sweetcoop|
|20||The Mobbing at Mosca||sweetcoop||0||0||3||Pleiades|
|21||The Hotel Hell||croman74||2||0||4||trajectoryroxs|
|23||The Bloody Graveyard||Jocool||0||0||3||croman74|
|24||The Final Fall||Cooltiger||0||0||1||eyeball138|
|26||The Bloody Knife||Thewho||1||0||5||JonnyC|
|27||The Macabre Massacre||EastStroudsburg13||1||0||3||trajectoryroxs|
|28||Nightfall||chia (gave up)||2||0||9||none|
|29||Bloodbath of Betreyal||X_SOninja_X||1||0||5||Gyourkoshaven|
|30||Ashes to Ashes||JonnyC||0||0 (one guessed out)||4||haven chuck|
|31||Guernica||Inuyashakusho (Deeisenberg) (gave up)||0||0||0||none|
|32||Death of the Innocents||Inuyashakusho (Deeisenberg)||0||0||1||Starpug|
|33||The Powerful Purge||fmtiger124||0||0||1||eyeball138|
|34||A Bit of Culture||dudeincolorado||0||0||1||croman74|
|35||The Time is Now||fmtiger124||2||1||3||Pleiades|
|36||The Forsaken Forum||croman74||1||0||2||JonnyC|
|37||Stairway to Death||Pleaides||2||1||4||nejanimb|
|39||Sepolcro di Dispiacere||robotman09 and Deeisenberg||1||0||6||eyeball138|
|40||Death on the High Seas||starpug||0||0||6||rocketman1555|
|43||Revenge of the Fallen||AlphaTauri||0||0||6||SOninja|
|44||Rouge Assassin1||DarkSabre||2||0 (Three Guessed Out)||10||croman74|
|45||The Poetic Assassin||gneissisnice||0||0||5||AlphaTauri|
|46||Ashen Cadavers||X_SOninja_X||1||0||5||blue cobra|
|47||Join the Dark Side||blue cobra (Committed "Suicide")||1||0||6||none|
|48||Killing on the River||sweetcoop (gave up)||0||0||4||none|
|49||A Red Herring||robodude||3||3||5||fmtiger124|
|50||Scylla's Sceptre||EastStroudsburg13, robotman09, Deeisenberg, starpug, fmtiger124, and DarkSabre||5||1||8||RandomPerson52 (Got majority of Accusations)|
|51||Where No One Has Died Before||zyzzyva98||3||2||4||winneratlife|
|54||The Untouchable||paleonaps||1||1(one guessed out)||6||zyzzyva98|
|55||The Cup of Death||winneratlife||1||0||3||fmtiger124|
|56||Mission Impossible2||Paradox21||5||1(four guessed out)||10||none|
|58||A Killing Carol||robodude||1||1||3||Paradox21|
|59||At The Bell's Chime||robodude||0||0||4||fmtiger124|
|60||The Lottery||RandomPerson52||5||0(1 guessed out)||10||AlphaTauri|
|62||Game Over||IdahoSciGuy||4||1||0||robodude (trajectoryroxs spilled the beans)|
|63||The Mob Seizes Power3||IdahoSciGuy & ???||zyzzyva98|
|64||The Hosts of History Arise||kjhsscioly||4||1||9||ophiophagus|
|65||The Psychopath Next Door||quizbowl & paleonaps||3||2||6||winneratlife|
|67||A Partisan Divide||Kokonilly||0||0||1||winneratlife|
|68||Heroes and Villains||Kokonilly||0||0||2||Luo|
|69||Rise of a Dynasty||thewinner||1||1||6||winneratlife|
|71||Rise of the Unknown||fmtiger124||1||1||3||zyzzyva98|
|73||Gunfight at the S.O. Corral||zyzzyva98||3||2||14||none|
|75||The Point of No Return||AlphaTauri||4||1(one guessed out)||12||harryk|
|77||Coup d'état4||paleonaps||3||0||10 (given in 5-clue bursts)||fmtiger124|
|79||Elementary My Dear Watson||rocketman1555||9||5||9||none|
|80||The Wretched Wraith||--||3||1||4||none|
|81||End of the World||haverstall||11||3||19||none|
|82||The Great War||paleonaps||3||0||8||Littleboy|
|83||A Christmas Killing||harryk||7||1||19||EASTstroudsburg13|
|84||It's Fairy Tale Time||Littleboy||0||0||3||foreverphysics|
|85||A Simple Test||TheGenius||7||2||16||harryk|
|86||The Labyrinth City||foreverphysics||12||3||17||none|
|88||A Social Experiment||Kokonilly (gave up)||3||2||7||none|
|89||The Promise of Dying||zyzzyva98||1||0||12||twototwenty|
|92||The Eleventh Hour||TheGenius||1||0||3||foreverphysics|
|94||Panem Chaos/The Lost Planet||Littleboy||3||1||21||iwonder|
|95||Wright State Gone Wrong||iwonder||1||1||12||strawberrygirl|
|97||Gotta Catch 'Em All||EpicFailOlympian||4||1||12||SilverNight (solved by Cedavis6)|
|98||The Most Dangerous Game||Cedavis6 (gave up)||1||0||6||none|
|100||Mafia Reborn||zyzzyva98, EastStroudsburg13, and robotman(?) (Game ended due to inactivity/gave up)||4||2||10||Skink, aim4me26|
|102||Cerberus Unleashed||Liv, quizbowl, and unknown||5||3||9||iwonder, thehydrogenpoptart|
|103||Murder by Death||TheGenius||6||1 (1 fired)||18||fozendog|
|104||Cyborg Invasion||mrburrito (game ended due to general inactivity)||none|
|105||Jester's Revenge||zyzzyva980 (April Fool's Joke)||none|
|105.5||Death by Death, A Bland Title||UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F (game ended due to general inactivity)||4||1||7||none|
|106||Curtain Call||Panda Weasley||9||0||13||dragon_fruit35|
|107||The Unforgivable Curses5||dragon_fruit35, SOnerd, and JasperKota||7||5||18||Fluffy Crustacean|
|108||At the World's Fair||Fibonacci924||2||1||5||dragon_fruit35|
|109||Another Wright State Gone Wrong||Entomology||4||1||17||[NerdyTotoro]|
|110||Rumble in Rio||EastStroudsburg13||7||2||22||Fluffy Crustacean|
|112||The Ides of March||Fibonacci924||3||1||12||JasperKota|
|113||Friday the 13th6||pikachu4919||8||2 (one guessed out)||16||whythelongface|
|114||The Amazing Race Death Edition||lumosityfan||4||1||7||daydreamer0023|
|115||Pictures at an Exhibition||bernard||5||0||11||Alex-RCHS|
|116||And Then There Were None||whythelongface (Committed "Suicide"), NeilMehta||6||5 (two guessed out, two were fired, one was an assassinator)||14||dxu46|
|117||Winter Olympics||Froggie, knottingpurple||7||3||14||kate!, UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F|
|119||Shadow Of Death||TheChiScientist||0||0||1||Anomaly|
|120||World War III7||pb5754||2||1||7||Tailsfan101|
|121||Mystery Land||John Richardsim||5||1||7||Anomaly|
|122||The Most Magical Place on Earth (Not)||eddpmett||4||1||7||none (sassy won)|
|123||He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not||UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F||6||2||12||pb5754|
|125||Mystery of the Tomb||Anomaly||0||0||3||luanne|
|126||The Phantom of the Opera||luanne||1||1||5||linzhiyan|
|127||From the Ashes I Have Risen Again (for the 127th time)||Name||0||0||0||dxu46|
|128||The Dark Abyss||Name||1||1||10||linzhiyan|
|129||A Forbidden Love||yxu08||0||0||7||dxu46|
|131||(Your Lives are in) Jeopardy!||kate!||3||1||8||MadCow2357|
|135||A Series of Unfortunate Non-Harmless April Fool's Day Pranks||pikachu4919||4||0||6||Here|
|136||A SciOly Pandemic||Tailsfan101||0||0||4||waffletree|
|138||Tanks and Turrets||TheCrazyChemist, DatSciolyBoi||3||3||11||amk578, CPScienceDude|