West Michigan Aviation Academy
|West Michigan Aviation Academy|
|Location||5363 44th St SE |
Grand Rapids, MI
|Member of SO since||2015|
|Best regional||3rd, 2021 & 2022|
|Best state||7th, 2022|
West Michigan Aviation Academy in Grand Rapids, Michigan was founded in 2009. Their Region 12 Science Olympiad program was founded in 2015 by Brittany O'Brien and Bob Battey, respectively, WMAA Chemistry Teacher and parent volunteer. Mr. Battey's goal was to qualify for state in 4 years. At the start of the 2017-2018 season Miss O'Brien announced her departure from the WMAA's Science Olympiad program. Mr. Battey took over as head coach. He lost his battle with cancer on Feb. 1, 2018. The team vowed to qualify for State for Mr. Battey. On March 17th they did. The Team's continued improvement is a tribute to Mr. Battey's legacy and the parent volunteers who have followed in his footsteps. WMAA medaled at State in the following events: 1st & 4th Write It Do It, 1st Forensics, 2nd & 4th Gravity Vehicle, 2nd Write It CAD It, 3rd & 8th Experimental Design, 3rd Machines, 3rd Sounds of Music, 3rd Trajectory, 5th Boomilever, 5th Dynamic Planet, 6th Designer Genes, 7th Circuit Lab, Fermi Questions, Herpetology, Ping Pong Parachute, Rocks and Minerals, Thermodynamics, 8th Codebusters, Optics, Ornithology, Wright Stuff.
|2022||3rd (105)3||7th (260)4||-|
|2021||3rd (114)||12th (393)2||-|
|2019||5th (143)||9th (410)||-|
|2018||8th (215)||20th (544)||-|
- 1: Cancelled due to Covid-19 virus precautions
- 2: Total of 22 events (MSU ranked teams after dropping worst 3 of 22)
- 3: Point total of 107 was updated to 105 after review of WiDi updated from 7th to 5th place
- 4: Published point total of 259 changes to 260 when WiDi is included in the summation
2022 Event Placements
2021 Event Placements
2019 Event Placements
2018 Event Placements
2017 Event Placements
2016 Event Placements
2015 Event Placements
Invitational Tournament Results for Season 8
The number of teams that attended the tournament follows the forward slash (/).
Invitational Tournament Results for Seasons 2 through 7
Multiple ranks represent multiple teams; the number after the forward slash (/) is the number of teams that attended the tournament.
1Allendale's 2021 tournament held an in-person, build-only tournament where WMAA finished 1st & 8th out of 10 local teams
Michigan Science Olympiad State Medals:
National Science Olympiad MY SO STEM Showdown - national rankings through 25th place.
|2022||March||Solar Power||14||Gavin V|
|2021||December||Rocks and Minerals||23||Rachael K|
Team Lineup - Final 15
|2022||Bethany S4, Braedon B*, Connor P, Devon C3, Gavin V, Gavin W, Josh B, Joshua O, Kat H1, Koungo D, Matthew K, Nathaniel C, Payton P, Rachael K5, Samantha B, Sophie W2|
|2021||Bethany S, Connor P, Devon C3, Gavin V, Gavin W*, Ivan H4, JD B, Josh B, Kat H1, Koungo D, Matthew K, Nathaniel C, Payton P, Rachael K, Rei N, Sophie W2|
|2020||Achol O3, Bethany S, Connor P, Devon C5, Gavin V, Ivan H4, Jacob K, Josh B, Kat H2, Kira W1, Koungo D, Matthew K, Samantha B, Sophia J, Sophie W|
|2019||Aaron J, Achol O3, Devon C, Emma H, Gabe D, Ivan H4, Jacob E, Josh B, Kat H, Kira W1, Mitch H5, Nick G, Samantha B, Eric S2, Sophia J, Sophie W*|
|2018||Aaron J, Aron B, Athena N, Ben M, Emma L, Emily B, Eric S, Ivan H., Jacob E, Kira W, Mirza K1, Mitch H, Serena K, Star S, Weston P|
|2017||Albert M, Athena N, Eli P, Emily B, Eric S, Grace B, Ivan L, Jacob E, Jeremy H, Kira W, Matt H, Matt S, Mirza K, Serena K, Weston P|
|2016||Albert M, Athena N, Clay C, Eli P, Elsa H, Emily B, Grace B, Ivan L, Jacob E, Maddi W, Matt S, Mirza K, Sean T, Serena K, Weston P|
|2015||Albert M, Clay C, Emily B, Grace B, Ivan L, Joshua C, Kenzie D, Logan F, Matt S, Nikolai M, Rachel S, Sean T, Serena K, Vivian L, Weston P|
1Team Captain, 2Community Liaison, 3Secretary, 4Treasurer, 5Quartermaster, *Alternate
SLT - Student Leadership Team
In addition to Team Captain there are 4 Officers: Community Liaison, Quartermaster, Secretary and Treasurer. Duties of the SLT and Officers are codified in bylaws.
- Team Captain -- the chief point of contact for the student group; facilitates discussions among the group; chairs meetings; posts an agenda ahead of every meeting; can appoint interim officers; can appoint ad-hoc committee chairs; coordinates Sci.O. presence at July picnic, August activities fair, September kick-off meeting, Fall parent nights and May WMAA Gala.
- Community Liaison -- in charge of 'press releases' to the WMAA newsletter; facilitates the annual T-shirt art contest; gets the winning art approved and submitted; helps coordinate Sci.O. presence at July picnic, August activities fair, September kick-off meeting, Fall Parent Nights & Gala.
- Quartermaster -- organizes and keeps track of supplies (build event supplies & office supplies); works with secretary & treasurer; keeps the supply room organized & clean, including keeping supplies in their labeled compartments and on their labeled shelves; forwards receipts to the Treasurer.
- Secretary -- takes minutes of meetings and posts the minutes; supports other officers; helps set the budget; helps keep track of supplies as needed.
- Treasurer -- keeps track of receipts, organizes a ledger of income & expenses; sets a budget largely based on supplies + food/snacks (input from Quartermaster), recruitment initiatives (input from Team Captain), costs of PR & Digital Content (input from Community Liaison).
|Season||Team Captain||Community Liaison||Secretary||Treasurer||Quartermaster|
|2023||Bethany S||Payton P||Rachael K||Gavin V||Shane R|
|2022||Kat H||Sophie W||Devon C||Bethany S||Rachael K|
|2021||Kat H||Sophie W||Devon C||Ivan H||-|
|2020||Kira W||Kat H||Achol O||Ivan H||Devon C|
|2019||Kira W||Eric S||Achol O||Ivan H||Mitch H|