2019-20 Coronavirus outbreak
The outbreak of COVID-19 throughout the United States has affected many tournaments during the 2020 season. Currently, tournaments in Washington, California, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Vermont, and Maryland have been impacted. Many other tournaments have made declarations on the matter.
Updates for the latest day are shown first. Please provide a source for any additions.
- Ohio cancels all remaining regional tournaments as well as the Division B and C state finals Source
- Purdue University, the host for the Indiana State Tournament, has announced that all events involving external visitors have been suspended until May 2. Announcement of status of the tournament itself is yet to come. Source
- New York announces that the Mid-Hudson and Mid-Western regionals are canceled. Source
- Maryland cancels its state tournament with there presumably being no rescheduling. Source
- Pennsylvania cancels the Northwest Pennsylvania Regional for both Division B and Division C. Source
- Pennsylvania cancels the Central East Pennsylvania Regional for Division C. Source
- New Jersey announces that the state tournament will proceed as scheduled, though the awards ceremony has been canceled. Source
- Pennsylvania announces that the Northeast Pennsylvania Regional "plans to reschedule within the next two months." Source
- Connecticut announces that the Division B state tournament will not be held. Source
- California (South) announces that it will not send any teams to the National tournament. Source
- Vermont announces that the state tournament will be cancelled: Source
- Washington announces cancellation of the Division B Northwest Washington Regional. Source
- New York announces: Source
- The Division C state tournament is canceled due to the host venue's request
- The Division B state tournament is canceled in expectation of a worsening situation
- The Mid-Hudson and Mid-Western Division B regionals are currently set to take place as scheduled.
- The Lower Hudson Division B regional is postponed indefinitely
- NY has informed the national organization that they will not be sending teams to the National Tournament.
- Pennsylvania cancels the Northeast Pennsylvania Regional for both Division B and Division C. Rescheduling is planned within two months. Source
- Indiana indicates that the state tournament is scheduled to run as planned. Source
- Florida indicates that as of the time of that writing the FL state tournament is planned to take place as scheduled. Source
- Maine indicates that as of the time of writing, the Maine state tournament is still planned to take place. Source
- Illinois indicates at the time of writing that all state competitions are planned to take place as scheduled and that they are monitoring the situation. Source
- California (South) announces state tournament cancellation after consultation with host. Source
- Southern California will not reschedule its state tournament and will not send any teams to the 2020 national tournament, according to a statement on March 9 Source
- North Carolina announces that they are monitoring the situation but at the time of writing have no plans of cancelling the NC state tournament or National Tournament. Source
- Virginia's state director emails coaches saying that VASO plans to follow UVA policies regarding COVID-19 and the state tournament. Source
- Missouri announces that they are monitoring the situation but at the time of writing the MO state tournament is planned to take place as scheduled. Source
Frequently Asked Questions
Please do not answer questions based on speculation. All claims should be verifiable through a credible source.
Will my state's tournaments be rescheduled?
Each state differs by its response to tournament cancellations. Please check your state's official Science Olympiad website and with your regional or state directors for information about tournaments in your state.
Will the national tournament be canceled?
The national tournament director has stated the tournament is scheduled to take place as planned, but that future changes are possible as COVID-19 continues to spread. Source
Will Northern California receive Southern California's state bid? (or other questions regarding bids of cancelled states)
There is no known answer beyond speculation.